1991 honda civic won't start

Old April 22nd 06, 10:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default 1991 honda civic won't start

The car stalled on me, going up a hill, and it's won't start
any suggestions:

so far I've checked:
60 psi on fuel pressure pump, starts when key turned on
lot's of sparks, 12 V on the igniter
165 psi compression on each cylinder
no faults on the ECU or in the dash, power to the ECU (one blink)
no fuel going to the engine between the line and the injector (s)

any ideas..?
O2 sensor?
car has 85 000 km's (15db1 engine)

Old April 22nd 06, 11:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

In article .com>,
"Steph" > wrote:

> The car stalled on me, going up a hill, and it's won't start
> any suggestions:
>
> so far I've checked:
> 60 psi on fuel pressure pump, starts when key turned on
> lot's of sparks, 12 V on the igniter
> 165 psi compression on each cylinder
> no faults on the ECU or in the dash, power to the ECU (one blink)
> no fuel going to the engine between the line and the injector (s)
>
> any ideas..?
> O2 sensor?
> car has 85 000 km's (15db1 engine)

My Haynes Repair manual lists these causes for: Engine Stalls
1. Idle speed incorrect.
2. Fuel filter clogged and/or water and impurities in fuel system.
3. Distributor components damp or damaged. (Is the distributor cap cracked?)
4. Faulty emissions system components.
5. Faulty or incorrectly gapped spark plugs.
6. Faulty spark plug wires.
7. Vacuum leak in the intake manifold or vacuum hoses.
8. Valve clearances incorrectly set.

--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
We do NOT respect the subscribers that enjoy criticizing people.

Old April 23rd 06, 12:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

It stalled and won't restart, I have the same book
I suspect #4 faulty emissions system components
but not sure we're to start, is an o2 sensor can prevent a "no start
condition", or an intake air temperature sensor

Old April 23rd 06, 12:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Steph wrote:

> It stalled and won't restart, I have the same book
> I suspect #4 faulty emissions system components
> but not sure we're to start, is an o2 sensor can prevent a "no start
> condition", or an intake air temperature sensor

As far as I know, a faulty O2 sensor never causes a no-start.
Old April 23rd 06, 03:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

In article .com>,
"Steph" > wrote:

> It stalled and won't restart, I have the same book
> I suspect #4 faulty emissions system components
> but not sure we're to start, is an o2 sensor can prevent a "no start
> condition", or an intake air temperature sensor

In most cases, the engine light would come on if you have problems
with the o2 sensor. One thing that is not on the list is the "fuel
throttle bore". It should be mentioned in your repair manual. You should
clean it. You should also replace the intake manifold gasket.
Did you replace the fuel filter? It's possible that the problem
is dirty gas or gas that has water in it. If that is the source
of the problem--the problem will not go away until you burn that
tank of gas. If you are not a mechanic, you should consider
having the car towed to a mechanic. The mechanic could hook up
the engine to a computerized engine tester and figure out the
source of the problem.
Jason

Old April 23rd 06, 04:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Steph wrote:
> It stalled and won't restart, I have the same book
> I suspect #4 faulty emissions system components
> but not sure we're to start, is an o2 sensor can prevent a "no start
> condition", or an intake air temperature sensor

Is the car still on the hill?

Old April 23rd 06, 06:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Steph wrote:
> The car stalled on me, going up a hill, and it's won't start
> any suggestions:
>
> so far I've checked:
> 60 psi on fuel pressure pump, starts when key turned on
> lot's of sparks, 12 V on the igniter
> 165 psi compression on each cylinder
> no faults on the ECU or in the dash, power to the ECU (one blink)
> no fuel going to the engine between the line and the injector (s)
>
> any ideas..?

the 3 known probs for that vintage a

igniter
main relay
ignition switch.

but from what youre saying, it all checks out.

Old April 23rd 06, 09:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Steph wrote:
> The car stalled on me, going up a hill, and it's won't start
> any suggestions:
>
> so far I've checked:
> 60 psi on fuel pressure pump, starts when key turned on
> lot's of sparks, 12 V on the igniter
> 165 psi compression on each cylinder
> no faults on the ECU or in the dash, power to the ECU (one blink)
> no fuel going to the engine between the line and the injector (s)
>
> any ideas..?
> O2 sensor?
> car has 85 000 km's (15db1 engine)

i'd check the main relay, despite the lack of codes. go to tegger.com
and look for the diagnostics & repair.
Old April 24th 06, 07:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Thanks for that useful links, thanks everybody...
I'll try to change the igniter, and I will be back with the findings..

1991 honda won't start greenhonda Honda 2 February 13th 06 12:55 AM
1991 honda civic rudy9804 Honda 1 September 12th 05 12:55 PM
92 honda civic intermittently not start Tinob Honda 5 August 25th 05 04:04 AM
93 civic turns over but won't start [email protected] Technology 2 February 24th 05 02:15 AM
1991 Honda Accord Startup Problem Frank starr General 6 March 21st 04 11:31 PM