Latest NHTSA 6-Speed Complaints

Old December 28th 11, 03:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
twk

Default Latest NHTSA 6-Speed Complaints

In article
" > wrote:

> On Dec 27, 12:00*pm, twk > wrote:
> > In article
> > >,

> > * * * *----- *Lil snip *-----
> >
> > ----- Lil more snip -----
> >

> > Speaking of rears and gears. I'm putting mine off again, had to take out
> > a couple of trees before they took out my house this freezing rain
> > season. That set me back $900. Crap, save a dollar, spend two.
> >
> > I have an '09 v6 with the 3.32, and of course, one wheel drive. Auto
> > trans. I had planned on the 8" 3.73, and limited slip. But after reading
> > a few forums I'm wondering if the 3.55 gears will be better.
> >
> > I drive to work every day, about 20 miles on the interstate. I also plan
> > on doing some interstate sight seeing a couple of times a year. I'd like
> > the low gears for get up and go, but will there be much of a difference
> > in MPG and acceleration between the 2 gears?
> >
> > Plus, with the 3.55 gears I can use my 7" axle, saving a little money.
> > Or is that a bad idea? I understand I could break a 3.73 pinion on a 7"
> > axle with a v6. Is that right? It's not like I'll ever be near 300 hp
> > with his car.

> > I'm still leaning toward the 8" 3.73. I'm just fishing for opinions.
> > Thanks.

> 3.55 is considered an aggressive street gear.
> 3.73 is considered a street/strip gear.
>
> For lower reving and/or pushrod motors I'd follow this rule to a tee.
> For smoother, higher reving and/or OHV motors you can get away with
> going more aggressive.
>

> The use you describe for your car I wouldn't advise anything more than
> 55s.
>
> Patrick

Thank you to both of you. I may have to go with the 55s.

My '94 v6, auto trans came with a 2.73. Why did Ford even DO that? The
3.73 I had installed seemed to actually improve my MPG. WOW, did that
ever wake up that car. But then, that car was turning 1500 rpm at 55
mph. (I might be a little off on that). I don't think it ever got into
it's power range. So that is why I was leaning towards the 3.73 again.

The 55s are looking better...

--
For all you know this message was...
Sent via an exclusive network, on a snobby portable computing device.
Old December 29th 11, 01:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected][_2_]

On Dec 28, 9:24*am, twk > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>

> " > wrote:
> > On Dec 27, 12:00*pm, twk > wrote:
> > > In article

> > > * * * *----- *Lil snip *-----

> > > * * *----- Lil more snip -----

> > > Speaking of rears and gears. I'm putting mine off again, had to take out
> > > a couple of trees before they took out my house this freezing rain
> > > season. That set me back $900. Crap, save a dollar, spend two.

> > > I have an '09 v6 with the 3.32, and of course, one wheel drive. Auto
> > > trans. I had planned on the 8" 3.73, and limited slip. But after reading
> > > a few forums I'm wondering if the 3.55 gears will be better.

> > > I drive to work every day, about 20 miles on the interstate. I also plan
> > > on doing some interstate sight seeing a couple of times a year. I'd like
> > > the low gears for get up and go, but will there be much of a difference
> > > in MPG and acceleration between the 2 gears?

> > > Plus, with the 3.55 gears I can use my 7" axle, saving a little money..
> > > Or is that a bad idea? I understand I could break a 3.73 pinion on a 7"
> > > axle with a v6. Is that right? It's not like I'll ever be near 300 hp
> > > with his car.

> > > I'm still leaning toward the 8" 3.73. I'm just fishing for opinions.
> > > Thanks.

> > 3.55 is considered an aggressive street gear.
> > 3.73 is considered a street/strip gear.

> > For lower reving and/or pushrod motors I'd follow this rule to a tee.
> > For smoother, higher reving and/or OHV motors you can get away with
> > going more aggressive.

> > The use you describe for your car I wouldn't advise anything more than
> > 55s.

> > Patrick

> Thank you to both of you. I may have to go with the 55s.
>
> My '94 v6, auto trans came with a 2.73. Why did Ford even DO that? The
> 3.73 I had installed seemed to actually improve my MPG. WOW, did that
> ever wake up that car. But then, that car was turning 1500 rpm at 55
> mph. (I might be a little off on that). I don't think it ever got into
> it's power range. So that is why I was leaning towards the 3.73 again.
>
> The 55s are looking better...

There's going to be a dramatic difference going from 2.73s to 3.55s.
Most who complain about 55s "not being aggressive enough" are changing
from a 3.08. You should be more than happy with 55s (hell, 3.27s
might be okay), especially when you do the amount of highway driving
you do.

Patrick