Air Con Advice Please????

Old June 25th 05, 06:38 PM
Paul Woodsford

Default Air Con Advice Please????

I have an 18mth old UK reg: Alfa 147 1.6T Spark Lusso.
I have just returned from 10days in N.Spain.
Very hot and humid so Air Con in use. After 3 days noticed front passenger
footwell carpet wet, also no water drainage from Air Con under car.
No rain during that period and missed the storms in UK as was on the ferry.
Q1. Does this sound as if the Air Con drain is blocked?

Q2. Where is the drain hole to be found and can I unblock it, or is this a
dealer job ?

Any advice much appreciated.

--
Paul Woodsford
Remove NOSPAM to reply.

Old June 25th 05, 07:08 PM
Pete

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 17:38:01 GMT, "Paul Woodsford" <paul.woodsford@NO
SPAMvirgin.net>, wrote:

>I have just returned from 10days in N.Spain.
>Very hot and humid so Air Con in use. After 3 days noticed front passenger
>footwell carpet wet,

That's the trouble with taking kids on long journeys :-)

Pete
--

156 2.0 TS (2001) - Proteo Rosso
Old June 25th 05, 07:12 PM
Domestos

"Paul Woodsford" <paul.woodsford@NO SPAMvirgin.net> wrote in message
> I have an 18mth old UK reg: Alfa 147 1.6T Spark Lusso.
> I have just returned from 10days in N.Spain.
> Very hot and humid so Air Con in use. After 3 days noticed front passenger
> footwell carpet wet, also no water drainage from Air Con under car.

Could be condensation... try it for a few days here and see if the wet still
appears...

Old June 25th 05, 07:12 PM
SteveH

"Paul Woodsford" <paul.woodsford@NO SPAMvirgin.net> wrote:

> I have an 18mth old UK reg: Alfa 147 1.6T Spark Lusso.
> I have just returned from 10days in N.Spain.
> Very hot and humid so Air Con in use. After 3 days noticed front passenger
> footwell carpet wet, also no water drainage from Air Con under car.
> No rain during that period and missed the storms in UK as was on the ferry.
> Q1. Does this sound as if the Air Con drain is blocked?
>
> Q2. Where is the drain hole to be found and can I unblock it, or is this a
> dealer job ?

Funnily enough I was about to post the same thing..... only this is with
our '99 156 2lt TSpark.

Went to get a map out of the passenger footwell the other day and it was
wet. Obviously an aircon leak, IMHO.

(OT: the Panzerwagon leaves a *massive* puddle underneath it when I park
up after the run to work in the mornings)
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark Lusso - Passat 1.8 Turbo SE - COSOC KOTL
Old June 25th 05, 07:59 PM
Paul Woodsford

For Pete.
No kids, but when they did travel with us they were housetrained.

--
Paul Woodsford
Remove NOSPAM to reply.

Old June 25th 05, 09:23 PM
cupra

Paul Woodsford wrote:
> I have an 18mth old UK reg: Alfa 147 1.6T Spark Lusso.
> I have just returned from 10days in N.Spain.
> Very hot and humid so Air Con in use. After 3 days noticed front
> passenger footwell carpet wet, also no water drainage from Air Con
> under car.
> No rain during that period and missed the storms in UK as was on the
> ferry. Q1. Does this sound as if the Air Con drain is blocked?
>
> Q2. Where is the drain hole to be found and can I unblock it, or is
> this a dealer job ?
>
> Any advice much appreciated.

Same thing happened from delivery with my 147 - not sure where the drain
plug is, but the dealer sorted it quickly and offered to replace the carpet
if it started to smell.

Old June 25th 05, 10:17 PM
Catman

SteveH wrote:

> "Paul Woodsford" <paul.woodsford@NO SPAMvirgin.net> wrote:
>
>> I have an 18mth old UK reg: Alfa 147 1.6T Spark Lusso.
>> I have just returned from 10days in N.Spain.
>> Very hot and humid so Air Con in use. After 3 days noticed front
>> passenger footwell carpet wet, also no water drainage from Air Con under
>> car. No rain during that period and missed the storms in UK as was on the
>> ferry. Q1. Does this sound as if the Air Con drain is blocked?
>>
>> Q2. Where is the drain hole to be found and can I unblock it, or is this
>> a dealer job ?

> Funnily enough I was about to post the same thing..... only this is with
> our '99 156 2lt TSpark.
>
> Went to get a map out of the passenger footwell the other day and it was
> wet. Obviously an aircon leak, IMHO.
>
> (OT: the Panzerwagon leaves a *massive* puddle underneath it when I park
> up after the run to work in the mornings)

I was thinking about this just earlier. I've seen neither puddles
underneath, or dampness in the passenger footwell. Maybe it's going
somewhere else.......
Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 75 TS 156 TS S2
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old June 27th 05, 07:32 AM
David A Smith

Hi All,
I have exactly this problem during hot AND humid periods, I don't notice the
problem when it is just hot, I suppose it must happen but not as badly.
Driving to Spain would probably be hot enough to produce the problem, humid
or not.

There is (on my 2001 2.0 litre 147) a small section of un-insulated pipe way
back under the dash, adjacent to the central tunnel. The pipe gets very
cold when the AC is on, and when it is humid there is considerable
condensation which drips onto the carpet!!!!!
I suppose I should put some insulation on the pipe, but being lazy, I will
say it isn't easy to get at and the section needing insulation is a short
bend, so not easy to deal with.

Interestingly:-- I also don't have water from the AC under the car either:
My wife's Pug 206 will leave a trail of water on driving out of the garage
when the AC is on, and the air blows cold on just about the first firing of
the engine: The 147 needs about 5 miles to come on strongly.

Dave
2.0 147 and 1.7 Minari

Old June 27th 05, 07:16 PM
Paul Woodsford

Hi all.
Well my local dealer booked it in for Thursday with a courtesy car. Seemed
well acquainted with the problem. Will report back on outcome. Seems to be
humidity rather than heat that causes it.

--
Paul Woodsford
Remove NOSPAM to reply.

Old July 1st 05, 06:49 PM
Paul Woodsford

Water trap and drainage pipe have come apart from each other.
Dashboard needs to be partially dismantled and replacement trap etc fitted
under warranty.

--
Paul Woodsford
Remove NOSPAM to reply.