5.0 EFI HO into 66 coupe

Old March 2nd 07, 01:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
gcroix[_2_]

Default 5.0 EFI HO into 66 coupe

Hey everyone. Been working on this project for a long time, and I've
reached a plateau.

Engine will crank all day but not run for more than one second or so. Did
KOEO test, getting codes 23 67 81 82 85 87. Engine will crank and catch,
idle for about 2.5 seconds tops, but never really what I'd call 'running.'
Had quite a few puffs of white smoke, but I think that was from sitting for
a quite a while and and a bit of starting fluid residue from starting
attempts in the past.

One one crazy thing I'm seeing is when I crank the engine, it appears to
rotating one direction, and when it actually 'catches' and runs for a second
or two, it looks like it rotates the other direction, which just doesn't
sound right to me. The starter is from a Mercury 5.0, different firing
order, but that shouldn't matter, right?

--I had thought about the timing being too far adjusted, but thought if that
was the case, the engine wouldn't start at all.

--Someone told me that I may have the wrong distributor in the engine. I
know it came from a 5.0. The vanes inside the distributor tells the system
when #1 is coming up, but it doesn't know the rest of the firing order, as
far as I know.

Thanks in advance.

Gary in GA.

Old March 2nd 07, 01:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
.boB

gcroix wrote:
> Hey everyone. Been working on this project for a long time, and I've
> reached a plateau.
>
> Engine will crank all day but not run for more than one second or so. Did
> KOEO test, getting codes 23 67 81 82 85 87. Engine will crank and catch,
> idle for about 2.5 seconds tops, but never really what I'd call 'running.'
> Had quite a few puffs of white smoke, but I think that was from sitting for
> a quite a while and and a bit of starting fluid residue from starting
> attempts in the past.
>
> One one crazy thing I'm seeing is when I crank the engine, it appears to
> rotating one direction, and when it actually 'catches' and runs for a second
> or two, it looks like it rotates the other direction, which just doesn't
> sound right to me. The starter is from a Mercury 5.0, different firing
> order, but that shouldn't matter, right?
>
> --I had thought about the timing being too far adjusted, but thought if that
> was the case, the engine wouldn't start at all.
>
> --Someone told me that I may have the wrong distributor in the engine. I
> know it came from a 5.0. The vanes inside the distributor tells the system
> when #1 is coming up, but it doesn't know the rest of the firing order, as
> far as I know.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Gary in GA.

Firing order is determined by the camshaft, and the
order the plugs wires are on the cap. Carefully trace
the cables counterclockwise around the cap, and make
sure you have the correct firing order.
Remove the #1 spark plug. Place your thumb over
the hole, and turn the engine clockwise with a ratchet.
When the engine is on the compression stroke, you'll
feel it on your thumb. Look at the timing marks on the
balancer. You should be aproaching TDC. Stop turning
the engine when the timing marks show about 10-12* BTDC.
Make a mark on the distributer body where the #
spark plug tower is. Remove the cap from the
distributer. The rotor should be pointing at that
mark. If it isn't R&R the distibuter until it is.

--
..boB
2006 FXDI hot rod

Old March 2nd 07, 02:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
gcroix[_2_]

Bob,

Are you the guy that gave me a front suspension piece?

Gary
. com...

Old March 2nd 07, 02:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
elaich

"gcroix" > wrote in
news
> --Someone told me that I may have the wrong distributor in the engine.
> I know it came from a 5.0. The vanes inside the distributor tells
> the system when #1 is coming up, but it doesn't know the rest of the
> firing order, as far as I know.

The HO version has a different firing order from normal engines. Maybe you
have the firing order wrong. The distributor doesn't know anything about
the firing order - this is determined by how you have the plug wires
plugged into the cap.

--
A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of the message.
Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?
Old March 2nd 07, 02:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
gcroix[_2_]

Oh, yeah, I know about the firing order. I know that isn't the problem.

Old March 2nd 07, 03:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
trainfan1

gcroix wrote:
> Hey everyone. Been working on this project for a long time, and I've
> reached a plateau.
>
> Engine will crank all day but not run for more than one second or so. Did
> KOEO test, getting codes 23 67 81 82 85 87. Engine will crank and catch,
> idle for about 2.5 seconds tops, but never really what I'd call 'running.'
> Had quite a few puffs of white smoke, but I think that was from sitting for
> a quite a while and and a bit of starting fluid residue from starting
> attempts in the past.
>
> One one crazy thing I'm seeing is when I crank the engine, it appears to
> rotating one direction, and when it actually 'catches' and runs for a second
> or two, it looks like it rotates the other direction, which just doesn't
> sound right to me. The starter is from a Mercury 5.0, different firing
> order, but that shouldn't matter, right?
>
> --I had thought about the timing being too far adjusted, but thought if that
> was the case, the engine wouldn't start at all.
>
> --Someone told me that I may have the wrong distributor in the engine. I
> know it came from a 5.0. The vanes inside the distributor tells the system
> when #1 is coming up, but it doesn't know the rest of the firing order, as
> far as I know.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Gary in GA.

Is there any chance the starter was rebuilt by a shop before you
installed it?

What cam are you using?

It should be cranking/running clockwise as you view the water pump, CCW
as you view the flywheel.

Rob

Old March 2nd 07, 04:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
gcroix[_2_]

> Is there any chance the starter was rebuilt by a shop before you installed
> it?

Nope....I took the starter off the donor Mercury myself.

> What cam are you using?

Stock 5.0 Mustang cam. I got the long block from a 30K 93 Mustang.

> It should be cranking/running clockwise as you view the water pump, CCW as
> you view the flywheel.

I'm sure you mean the crank, right? Because my water pump spins the oppsite
direction as the crank. But the crank does turn CW as it cranks, but when
it catches, it DEFINITELY tries to run the other way...I must have my timing
adjusted too far off, huh?

Gary

Old March 2nd 07, 04:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
.boB

gcroix wrote:
> Bob,
>
> Are you the guy that gave me a front suspension piece?

Yup, that was me. Did it fit?

Old March 2nd 07, 01:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
trainfan1

gcroix wrote:
>>Is there any chance the starter was rebuilt by a shop before you installed
>>it?

> Nope....I took the starter off the donor Mercury myself.
>

>>What cam are you using?

> Stock 5.0 Mustang cam. I got the long block from a 30K 93 Mustang.
>

>>It should be cranking/running clockwise as you view the water pump, CCW as
>>you view the flywheel.

> I'm sure you mean the crank, right?

YES.

Rob

Old March 2nd 07, 02:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
elaich

"gcroix" > wrote in news:I8MFh.3302$yi7.3117
@newsfe03.lga:

> Oh, yeah, I know about the firing order. I know that isn't the problem.

Check to see if the dizzy is 180 degrees out.

--
A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of the message.
Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?