Please hlp--96' honda acceleration/transmission/engine prblm

Old February 10th 07, 09:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default Please hlp--96' honda acceleration/transmission/engine prblm

My automatic 1996 Honda Civic EX stalled suddenly in the middle of the
street yesterday. The engine was fine, however the car no longer
continued to move after pressing the gas pedal. I could only hear the
engine rev, but no movement. I could also hear the car switching
gears, when I changed them. The check engine light came on. And the
"D" light blinks when I put the car in drive which is unusual.

*brief history*
Since I got my car in March '06-- it has had a slight jerk to it.
Whenever I accelerate from a full stop (turning corners, going uphill,
leaving stop signs), the car would always jerk and would often shake
so hard, it turned the windshield wipers on. While this was
embarassing, the car seemed to drive fine otherwise (no problems on
Hwys and after car had been driving for longer periods), so I avoided
getting it checked out until recently, since the shake could often be
lessened/avoided by pressing the gas pedal ever so gently.

Recently, I took it to a Honda dealer to have them look at it since
the problem seemed to be getting worse. First, they told me to get 3
new tires and an alignment, which I did. Then they told me that it
might be the clutch ($2000). They suggested changing the transmission
fluid twice first, to see if that might alleviate the problem. They
changed the fluid once (for a whopping $64). It drove a little better,
but then this happened 7 days later. I went to put more fluid in it
after it broke down, and I added some oil since that was low too.
Nothing is working. I don't know what's wrong with my car. Anyone had
this problem before or can offer any advice???? Thanks in advance. -
Shauna

Old February 10th 07, 10:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

wrote:
> My automatic 1996 Honda Civic EX stalled suddenly in the middle of the
> street yesterday. The engine was fine, however the car no longer
> continued to move after pressing the gas pedal. I could only hear the
> engine rev, but no movement. I could also hear the car switching
> gears, when I changed them. The check engine light came on. And the
> "D" light blinks when I put the car in drive which is unusual.
>
> *brief history*
> Since I got my car in March '06-- it has had a slight jerk to it.
> Whenever I accelerate from a full stop (turning corners, going uphill,
> leaving stop signs), the car would always jerk and would often shake
> so hard, it turned the windshield wipers on. While this was
> embarassing, the car seemed to drive fine otherwise (no problems on
> Hwys and after car had been driving for longer periods), so I avoided
> getting it checked out until recently, since the shake could often be
> lessened/avoided by pressing the gas pedal ever so gently.
>
> Recently, I took it to a Honda dealer to have them look at it since
> the problem seemed to be getting worse. First, they told me to get 3
> new tires and an alignment, which I did. Then they told me that it
> might be the clutch ($2000). They suggested changing the transmission
> fluid twice first, to see if that might alleviate the problem. They
> changed the fluid once (for a whopping $64). It drove a little better,
> but then this happened 7 days later. I went to put more fluid in it
> after it broke down, and I added some oil since that was low too.
> Nothing is working. I don't know what's wrong with my car. Anyone had
> this problem before or can offer any advice???? Thanks in advance. -
> Shauna

two things:
1. the vehicle is under warranty - get the dealer to sort it out. call
honda usa customer service if the dealer doesn't look like they're
taking care of it properly and explain the situation.
2. and this is not related to #1, are you sure you checked the
transmission fluid level correctly? did you read the owners manual on
how to do it? while it's possible, it's not so likely that if you've
just had the fluid changed, that the dealer didn't fill it right.
hondas need to be dipped with the motor /off/, not running like other
automatics.
Old February 10th 07, 10:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

I doubt the vehicle is under warranty. My dad bought it used in March.

I don't have a manual, but when I checked the fluid while the engine
was on and it had gone down from when the engine was shutoff. So we
put in fluid until it reached the line with the xxxxxxx and tried to
restart it but to no avail.

Old February 10th 07, 10:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

thanks so much for your feedback jim.

the mileage is 151,320. so I'm thinking the repair isn't going to be
worth it. But I will try and get ahold of a manual, do you know where
I could get one from?

I did use Honda ATF, but I guess we've overfilled it.

Old February 11th 07, 04:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

I never got the clutch fixed. They told me they'd change the tranny
fluid first to see if that helped. I can't afford to get a new clutch.
I might as well get a brand new car.

I can't get to the car today, but when I do I will check to see what
the service check connector is showing.

I'm also wondering if the car might have problems with the solenoid or
if the problem is even related to the clutch for certain?-S.