Ford gets a clue

Old February 9th 07, 06:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson

Default Ford gets a clue

Reviving the Taurus nameplate won't make for a better car on it's own.
It will likely get people to the showroom as there are millions upon
millions of satisfied previous Taurus owners that would consider that
model for their next purchase. Consumers relate to model names very
heavily and hey are supposed to signify a car/truck's purpose with just
a single word. When I hear the word "Taurus" I think of a reasonable
priced, good quality, good value family sedan. When people hear the
number "500" they don't know what that is supposed to convey because the
car has no history or consumer based established. IMO, killing the
Taurus was one of the most bone headed moves I have seen Ford make. It
is the equivalent of killing the Mustang and maybe even worse since the
Taurus was one of their bread and butter models. What's next? They
kill off the Explorer and the F150?

Old February 9th 07, 07:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
My Name Is Nobody

The worst part is the 500 is the nicest sedan Ford has offered in 40 years!
If you haven't test driven one you don't have a clue. Go to the dealer and
drive one on the same day you drive a Crown Vic, a Taurus and a Mustang.
The 500 Sedan is leaps and bounds ahead and like I said, the best put
together sedan package Ford has offered in 40 plus years.

I was waiting for the 265 horse 3.5 liter to come out in it next year. I am
****ed that they are going to re-badge it and call it Taurus. I agree with
you that Ford is stupid for dropping successful name plates! I see this
"oops, we are total bumbling IDIOTS and are going to rename a new car model
because we can pull our heads out of our asses" approach as the epitome of
incompetence. Renaming existing models is even more of a marketing mistake
than dropping successful name plates.

I was looking at the new Mercury Zephyr, because I have an attachment to
that name. Then Ford decides to rename it some stupid number/initial scheme
(if I wanted a Mazda I would not be shopping with Ford). That silly
incompetence takes that car off my list. My wife and I had effectively
decided on a 2008 Ford 500 with the more powerful engine. Then along comes
Ford with their stupid incompetent "Duh we have no friggin clue what we are
doing" name change scheme again.

I would have been buying a 2008 Ford 500 AWD.
I won't be buying a 2008 Ford 500 renamed as a Taurus.

If/when they rename the 500, I will be shopping for our new family sedan
from the entire market. I might as well go with a BMW and get all of the
amenities and the MANUAL TRANSMISSION I really want.

Ford better get a good plan in place and implement it. All this foolish
bumbling around is going to KILL them!

Between their totally fumbling the 2007 Shelby GT500 and this idiotic model
name plate blundering, Ford has about stretched my loyalty to it's limit.

Old February 9th 07, 07:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent P[_1_]

In article <8N3zh.222$E71.28@trnddc04>, My Name Is Nobody wrote:

> I was waiting for the 265 horse 3.5 liter to come out in it next year. I am
> ****ed that they are going to re-badge it and call it Taurus. I agree with
> you that Ford is stupid for dropping successful name plates!

They should just roll it into the Taurus 500.

Calling the car '500' was just stpuid. Ford traditionally used 500 as a
suffix to the model name. Fairlane 500, Galaxie 500XL, etc.

> If/when they rename the 500, I will be shopping for our new family sedan
> from the entire market. I might as well go with a BMW and get all of the
> amenities and the MANUAL TRANSMISSION I really want.

My first swipe takes everything that doesn't offer a manual transmission
off the list. That cuts the market choices down real quick.

Old February 9th 07, 10:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson

My Name Is Nobody wrote:
> The worst part is the 500 is the nicest sedan Ford has offered in 40 years!
> If you haven't test driven one you don't have a clue. Go to the dealer and
> drive one on the same day you drive a Crown Vic, a Taurus and a Mustang.
> The 500 Sedan is leaps and bounds ahead and like I said, the best put
> together sedan package Ford has offered in 40 plus years.

We have a last generation Sable and it is has shown to be a very good,
dependable car. With the Duratech engine it is also quite peppy. IMO,
there was nothing wrong with the Taurus/Sable that warranted their
termination. Plus we bought it with every option (leather, power
moonroof, Mach sound system, CD changer, power everything etc.) for
under $20k of the showroom floor. It was definitely decent competition
for the Camry.

> I was waiting for the 265 horse 3.5 liter to come out in it next year. I am
> ****ed that they are going to re-badge it and call it Taurus. I agree with
> you that Ford is stupid for dropping successful name plates! I see this
> "oops, we are total bumbling IDIOTS and are going to rename a new car model
> because we can pull our heads out of our asses" approach as the epitome of
> incompetence. Renaming existing models is even more of a marketing mistake
> than dropping successful name plates.

I don't put that much emphasis on the name. I haven't driven a 500 but
then I don't think Ford's cars are even close to bed. On the contrary
they are quite good. They just have no marketing sense.

> I was looking at the new Mercury Zephyr, because I have an attachment to
> that name. Then Ford decides to rename it some stupid number/initial scheme
> (if I wanted a Mazda I would not be shopping with Ford). That silly
> incompetence takes that car off my list. My wife and I had effectively
> decided on a 2008 Ford 500 with the more powerful engine. Then along comes
> Ford with their stupid incompetent "Duh we have no friggin clue what we are
> doing" name change scheme again.
>
> I would have been buying a 2008 Ford 500 AWD.
> I won't be buying a 2008 Ford 500 renamed as a Taurus.

IMO, Ford should roll out a new car that is slightly smaller than the
500 as the new Taurus and keep the 500 as an upgrade alternative. Then
do an advertising blitz to introduce the "modernized" Taurus. Roll out
a hybrid (all the rage these days) and put some good technology behind
it. Green sells nowadays.

> If/when they rename the 500, I will be shopping for our new family sedan
> from the entire market. I might as well go with a BMW and get all of the
> amenities and the MANUAL TRANSMISSION I really want.

I wonder if the potential monetary gain from offering a manual tranny is
worth the added R&D and manufacturing costs.

> Ford better get a good plan in place and implement it. All this foolish
> bumbling around is going to KILL them!

I don't see how they can afford a "new" plan. The time to turn the
500's legacy into into that of a Taurus would be years and years. I bet
Ford has 2-3 years to turn things around at most. IMO, they can't do it
with new model names no matter how good the cars are engineered.

> Between their totally fumbling the 2007 Shelby GT500 and this idiotic model
> name plate blundering, Ford has about stretched my loyalty to it's limit.

They are really trying my patience too. If they don't produce the
number of GT500s they advertised then I am likely done buying Fords.

Old February 9th 07, 11:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, Michael Johnson wrote:

> I wonder if the potential monetary gain from offering a manual tranny is
> worth the added R&D and manufacturing costs.

In the case of the 500, it would depend if volvo offered it on that
platform. If so, the costs would be as close to zero as possible.

> Ford has 2-3 years to turn things around at most. IMO, they can't do it
> with new model names no matter how good the cars are engineered.

I keep saying it, but Ford would do well to bring the Falcon over to
compete with all the RWD sedans on the market. And keep it called a
Falcon. In fact, Ford should play on it's traditional names for new well
made, well executed cars.

>> Between their totally fumbling the 2007 Shelby GT500 and this idiotic model
>> name plate blundering, Ford has about stretched my loyalty to it's limit.

> They are really trying my patience too. If they don't produce the
> number of GT500s they advertised then I am likely done buying Fords.

It's in the dead of winter and prices are still way over sticker. The
demand is there, logically they should fill it. But the marketeers are
probably more concerned about execusivity than selling cars.
Old February 9th 07, 11:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson

Brent P wrote:
> In article >, Michael Johnson wrote:
>
>> I wonder if the potential monetary gain from offering a manual tranny is
>> worth the added R&D and manufacturing costs.

> In the case of the 500, it would depend if volvo offered it on that
> platform. If so, the costs would be as close to zero as possible.

I can't see there being much of a demand for manual trannies in a "for
the masses" family sedan. People who want that are going to be looking
a BMW's etc., IMO.

>> Ford has 2-3 years to turn things around at most. IMO, they can't do it
>> with new model names no matter how good the cars are engineered.

> I keep saying it, but Ford would do well to bring the Falcon over to
> compete with all the RWD sedans on the market. And keep it called a
> Falcon. In fact, Ford should play on it's traditional names for new well
> made, well executed cars.

The Thunderbird and Cougar are two more that have great potential.
Especially the Thunderbird.

>>> Between their totally fumbling the 2007 Shelby GT500 and this idiotic model
>>> name plate blundering, Ford has about stretched my loyalty to it's limit.

>> They are really trying my patience too. If they don't produce the
>> number of GT500s they advertised then I am likely done buying Fords.

> It's in the dead of winter and prices are still way over sticker. The
> demand is there, logically they should fill it. But the marketeers are
> probably more concerned about execusivity than selling cars.

I haven't seen any actual production numbers yet. They should have made
1,500-2,000 of them by now.
Old February 9th 07, 11:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
My Name Is Nobody

"Michael Johnson" > wrote in message
> Brent P wrote:
>> In article >, Michael
>> Johnson wrote:
>>
>>> I wonder if the potential monetary gain from offering a manual tranny is
>>> worth the added R&D and manufacturing costs.

In the true sport sedan market, the manual transmissions are standard
equiptment and the slush boxes cost extra.

>> In the case of the 500, it would depend if volvo offered it on that
>> platform. If so, the costs would be as close to zero as possible.

> I can't see there being much of a demand for manual trannies in a "for the
> masses" family sedan. People who want that are going to be looking a
> BMW's etc., IMO.

There is a market for it, otherwise BMW couldn't do it and charge more for
their manual transmission sports sedan than comparable competitors do. I
would much prefer to buy Ford's Volvo platform all wheel drive sedan with a
6-speed manual transmission than paying 1/3 more for the BMW.

From my prospective (I bought 3 Taurus SHO's because they were family
sedan's with some extra Oomph and a manual transaxle) I wouldn't choose the
automatic over a manual transmission in any application. I had to special
order my 2005 F-450 XLT Lariat PSD 4X4 with the 6 speed manual.

>>> Ford has 2-3 years to turn things around at most. IMO, they can't do it
>>> with new model names no matter how good the cars are engineered.

However they do it bumbling along and renaming existing models is NOT
helping their cause...

Old February 10th 07, 12:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
trainfan1

w_tom wrote:

> ...Basic to all cars are fundamental numbers - horsepower per liter.
> Auto companies are losing market share have defective products - do
> not have 70 Hp per liter engines as standard.

The 500's Duratec(from the Taurus) 3.0 is 70 Hp per liter. Sometimes
more, sometimes less depending on trim.

Rob

Old February 10th 07, 11:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
w_tom

On Feb 9, 7:26 pm, trainfan1 > wrote:
> The 500's Duratec(from the Taurus) 3.0 is 70 Hp per liter. Sometimes
> more, sometimes less depending on trim.

That 500 engine is only 67 Hp/liter. A major improvement in Ford
(GM is still putting 52 Hp/liter engines in their base models because
Wagoner, et al are bean counters). But still not achieved is 70 when
70+ was world standard a decade ago.

Under William Clay, some engineering was restarted in Ford - since a
'bean counter' Jacques Nasser stifled innovation for four years ending
2001 (which is why first year Focus had so many reliability
problems). Still, the 500, Fusion, etc vehicles of 2007 release have
much to go to only be world equivalent. These days, any vehicle that
does not do 70 HP/liter with only fuel injection is ... well that was
the standard 10 years ago.

Base engine for a 2005 Taurus was 51 Hp/liter (153 Hp). 2006
Taurus was 52 Hp/liter (155 hp). Don't let 'bean counters' and the
ill informed fool you. Engines with the same name and same liters are
no where near same when Hp/liter is so different. Massive hardware
changes are required for the higher Hp/liter number - which is also a
reflection of vehicle life expectancy. Higher hp/liter number on a
base engine means a more reliable vehicle.

Companies dominated by accountants (bean counters) stifle innovation
in the name of cost controls. Car company run by a bean counter will
see resulting stifled innovation four and ten years later on spread
sheets. Spred sheets are a summary of work performed four to ten
years previously - not a report on work performed this year. "Bean
counters' will deny this because they do not understand and therefore
cannot measure innovation.

Under William Clay, Ford finally began addressing their pathetic
engines. What exists today had to be started at least four years ago.
Ford is not yet doing what was standard world wide 10 years ago; but
is doing much better. Those damn numbers so feared and misunderstood
by a country full of lawyers, MBAs, and communication majors. But
notice why Toyota, et al do so well. Do the numbers.

Meanwhile no one needs a 265 HP engine. Even in the 1970s, the 350
V-8 that was plenty of power was doing only 180 Hp. The only reason
one needs 200+ Hp? His ego is somehow confused with logic. Those
heavier 1970 vehicles with the large block V-8 did between 160 and 190
hp - and that was more than sufficient even with a less efficient 3
speed transmission and rear wheel drive.

Old February 11th 07, 04:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
My Name Is Nobody

"w_tom" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Feb 9, 7:26 pm, trainfan1 > wrote:
>> The 500's Duratec(from the Taurus) 3.0 is 70 Hp per liter. Sometimes
>> more, sometimes less depending on trim.

> That 500 engine is only 67 Hp/liter. A major improvement in Ford
> (GM is still putting 52 Hp/liter engines in their base models because
> Wagoner, et al are bean counters). But still not achieved is 70 when
> 70+ was world standard a decade ago.

The 1989 Ford Taurus SHO 3.0 liter V-6 made 220 horsepower... Thats 73.3
horsepower power per liter...