The New Hot Rod Lincoln!

Old January 2nd 07, 01:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default The New Hot Rod Lincoln!

Another car Ford MUST build!!

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...701010343/1148

Patrick

Old January 2nd 07, 01:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent P[_1_]

In article .com>, wrote:
> Another car Ford MUST build!!

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...701010343/1148

Trouble is, I don't think I am the only one who has grown weary of ford's
way of eventually building the cars. I'll believe ford is serious when
they build this and their other ideas such that they actually do have the
E85 technology (which first appeared about a decade ago on the super
stallion) and aren't built as some limited-edition marketing excerise.

Old January 2nd 07, 06:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Big Al[_1_]

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Another car Ford MUST build!!

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...701010343/1148

> Patrick

The TwinForce V-6 is a 3.5-liter gasoline engine that features
twin-turbocharged direct injection for performance that rivals larger and
less fuel-efficient V-8s. In the MKR, it delivers 415 horsepower and 400
lb.-ft. of torque on E-85 ethanol. Ford plans a family of TwinForce engines
to power a number of Ford and Lincoln products.

But will it fit in my 2000 Contour?

Al

Old January 2nd 07, 10:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
BradandBrooks

"Brent P" > wrote in message
> In article .com>,
> wrote:
>> Another car Ford MUST build!!

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...701010343/1148

> Trouble is, I don't think I am the only one who has grown weary of ford's
> way of eventually building the cars. I'll believe ford is serious when
> they build this and their other ideas such that they actually do have the
> E85 technology (which first appeared about a decade ago on the super
> stallion) and aren't built as some limited-edition marketing excerise.

True, but this thing looks great. And face it, alternative fuel is the only
way of the future. I'm getting sick or reading daily where the planet is
headed. Time for Ford to be a leader again.

Brad

Old January 2nd 07, 03:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Joe[_1_]

"BradandBrooks" > wrote in

> "Brent P" > wrote in message
>> In article .com>,
>> wrote:
>>> Another car Ford MUST build!!

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?

AID=/20070101/AUTO01/701
>>> 010343/1148

>> Trouble is, I don't think I am the only one who has grown weary of
>> ford's way of eventually building the cars. I'll believe ford is
>> serious when they build this and their other ideas such that they
>> actually do have the E85 technology (which first appeared about a
>> decade ago on the super stallion) and aren't built as some
>> limited-edition marketing excerise.
>>

> True, but this thing looks great. And face it, alternative fuel is the
> only way of the future. I'm getting sick or reading daily where the
> planet is headed. Time for Ford to be a leader again.
>
> Brad

Horrible front end, but that's what people said about the DC 300 when it
first appeared.

E-85 is nothing more than a marketing thing to make people feel better
about not burning gasoline. It's inefficient and expensive. At best,
it's a stopgap until makers fully develop true alternate fuel sources.

Ford will become a leader again only after they dump unions and get
their marketing together. Both are dragging the company to a slow
death.
Old January 2nd 07, 03:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, Joe wrote:

> E-85 is nothing more than a marketing thing to make people feel better
> about not burning gasoline. It's inefficient and expensive. At best,
> it's a stopgap until makers fully develop true alternate fuel sources.

It depends on how the ethanol is made. Anything can be made with an
inefficient process. However, if the energy used to produce the ethanol
doesn't come from oil, it works, even if it turns out be nothing more
than a 'battery' for something like wind or nuke power to be used in a car.

Old January 2nd 07, 05:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson, PE

Big Al wrote:
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> Another car Ford MUST build!!
>>

> http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...701010343/1148
>> Patrick
>>

> The TwinForce V-6 is a 3.5-liter gasoline engine that features
> twin-turbocharged direct injection for performance that rivals larger and
> less fuel-efficient V-8s. In the MKR, it delivers 415 horsepower and 400
> lb.-ft. of torque on E-85 ethanol. Ford plans a family of TwinForce engines
> to power a number of Ford and Lincoln products.
>
> But will it fit in my 2000 Contour?

I have seen someone cram a Chevy 350 into an MG Midget. Yeah, it will
fit.
Old January 2nd 07, 06:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox

Michael Johnson, PE wrote:
> Big Al wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>>> Another car Ford MUST build!!
>>>

>> http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...701010343/1148
>>
>>> Patrick
>>>

>> The TwinForce V-6 is a 3.5-liter gasoline engine that features
>> twin-turbocharged direct injection for performance that rivals larger and
>> less fuel-efficient V-8s. In the MKR, it delivers 415 horsepower and 400
>> lb.-ft. of torque on E-85 ethanol. Ford plans a family of TwinForce
>> engines
>> to power a number of Ford and Lincoln products.
>>
>> But will it fit in my 2000 Contour?

> I have seen someone cram a Chevy 350 into an MG Midget. Yeah, it will
> fit.

You sure it wasn't a B? I've seen that and also a 302 in
a B-GT.

--
“I intended that "not stupid" be a requirement.” – Seth
Breidbart
Old January 2nd 07, 08:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson, PE

WindsorFox wrote:
> Michael Johnson, PE wrote:
>>> oups.com...
>>>>

>>> http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...701010343/1148

>>> The TwinForce V-6 is a 3.5-liter gasoline engine that features
>>> twin-turbocharged direct injection for performance that rivals larger
>>> and
>>> less fuel-efficient V-8s. In the MKR, it delivers 415 horsepower and 400
>>> lb.-ft. of torque on E-85 ethanol. Ford plans a family of TwinForce
>>> engines
>>> to power a number of Ford and Lincoln products.
>>>
>>> But will it fit in my 2000 Contour?

>> I have seen someone cram a Chevy 350 into an MG Midget. Yeah, it will
>> fit.

> You sure it wasn't a B? I've seen that and also a 302 in a B-GT.

No, it was a Midget. The carburetor was so tall the driver to look out
of the far left side of the windshield to see where he was going. It
also had an auto tranny that connected directly to the rear
differential. There was no room to fit a drive shaft. He couldn't get
on it because the car had slicks and would pull a wheelie and flip over
to easy. It reminded me of a Hot Wheels toy car.
Old January 2nd 07, 08:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
My Name Is Nobody

"Brent P" > wrote in message
> In article >, Joe wrote:
>
>> E-85 is nothing more than a marketing thing to make people feel better
>> about not burning gasoline. It's inefficient and expensive. At best,
>> it's a stopgap until makers fully develop true alternate fuel sources.

> It depends on how the ethanol is made. Anything can be made with an
> inefficient process. However, if the energy used to produce the ethanol
> doesn't come from oil, it works, even if it turns out be nothing more
> than a 'battery' for something like wind or nuke power to be used in a
> car.

The Ethanol Illusion

To begin with the facts: Some 3.9 billion gallons of ethanol were produced
from corn in the United States in 2005, and sold as a blend with gasoline
that accounted for 2.8 percent of total gasoline sales by volume in that
year. But here's the rub. Ethanol's energy content is significantly less
than gasoline's. You need 1.5 gallons of ethanol to drive the same distance
you go on a gallon of gasoline. So on an energy basis, the savings in
gasoline associated with U.S. ethanol use in 2005 amounted only to 1.9
percent of total gasoline sales. The wholesale price of gasoline in the
United States in the spring of 2006 was about $2.20 a gallon (with retail
prices closer to $3.00 a gallon). For ethanol to be competitive
economically, it would have to sell for less than $1.50 a gallon. Yet by May
2006, the wholesale price of ethanol had risen to $2.65 a gallon (or in
reality $3.16 a gallon, if you allow for the subsidy of 51 cents a gallon
authorized by Congress in 2004 to encourage production). The wholesale price
of ethanol in corn-producing states such as Illinois was $3.10 a gallon in
July 2006; in California, it had increased to $4.00 a gallon. Allowing for
the subsidy and the lower energy value of ethanol, this meant that motorists
in California were paying more than $6.00 for enough ethanol to obtain the
energy equivalent of a gallon of gasoline!

Energy yield from corn ethanol equals approximately 125 percent of the
fossil energy used to produce it. Primary sources of fossil energy used in
U.S. ethanol production: natural gas and coal; there is significant net
savings in terms of oil use.