HORSEPOWER

Old December 21st 06, 08:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
BradandBrooks

Default HORSEPOWER

Something good to keep in mind. I never thought of where the torque peaks.
Thanks for the info. Love this group.

Brad

Old December 22nd 06, 01:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

So what camshaft would you recommend for an 07 GT?

StratMan

Old December 23rd 06, 07:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jeff[_13_]

I'm not too sure new cams will make a significant difference with an
'07 Mustang. Bob is absolutely correct in calling an internal
combustion engine essentially an "air pump." The entire air path from
intake to exhaust plays a role in the efficiency of this "air pump."
The cam profile, albeit important, is just one piece of the puzzle.
Since the '05+ 4.6L uses the valve head from the larger 5.4L Triton
motor, air flow from the throttle body to the cylinders really isn't a
problem. Furthermore the new S197's variable valve timing and
sophisticated computer optimizes valve lift & timing to produce strong
low-end torque as well a free-breathing for more HP at high rpm.

The new Mustang's exhaust is well-done as well, perhaps one of the
finest stock exhausts in a mass production car. The stock cat-back
plumbing is 2-1/2" mandrel-bent (smooth bends for better flow) with an
H-pipe. The mufflers are a high-flow design and the cast header flows
nicely as well. Aftermarket exhausts can change the sound of your
Mustang, but don't expect any difference at the dyno, unless you remove
the cats (worth about 15-20 hp).

It's been pretty well-documented that the weak link in the Mustang's
"air pump" is the air filter & box. By far the best bang-for-the-buck
mod on a S197 GT is a cone filter with a computer retune. The JLT
intake with SCT2 tune (93 octane) netted me nearly 30 rwhp (292 rwhp
vs. 265 stock)! After that gains are much more incremental due to the
Mustang's well-designed stock motor and exhaust. Tweaks such as
underdrive pulleys, "off-road" (no cat) X-pipe, headers, mufflers, etc.
can nudge an S197 GT eventually to around 310-315 rwhp; but to leap
significantly beyond that, you need to force-feed the motor via a
blower, turbo, or nitrous.

Old December 23rd 06, 07:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jeff[_13_]

Old December 23rd 06, 05:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox

Jeff wrote:
> I'm not too sure new cams will make a significant difference with an
> '07 Mustang. Bob is absolutely correct in calling an internal
> combustion engine essentially an "air pump." The entire air path from
> intake to exhaust plays a role in the efficiency of this "air pump."
> The cam profile, albeit important, is just one piece of the puzzle.
> Since the '05+ 4.6L uses the valve head from the larger 5.4L Triton
> motor, air flow from the throttle body to the cylinders really isn't a
> problem. Furthermore the new S197's variable valve timing and
> sophisticated computer optimizes valve lift & timing to produce strong
> low-end torque as well a free-breathing for more HP at high rpm.
>
> The new Mustang's exhaust is well-done as well, perhaps one of the
> finest stock exhausts in a mass production car. The stock cat-back
> plumbing is 2-1/2" mandrel-bent (smooth bends for better flow) with an
> H-pipe. The mufflers are a high-flow design and the cast header flows
> nicely as well. Aftermarket exhausts can change the sound of your
> Mustang, but don't expect any difference at the dyno, unless you remove
> the cats (worth about 15-20 hp).
>
> It's been pretty well-documented that the weak link in the Mustang's
> "air pump" is the air filter & box. By far the best bang-for-the-buck
> mod on a S197 GT is a cone filter with a computer retune. The JLT
> intake with SCT2 tune (93 octane) netted me nearly 30 rwhp (292 rwhp
> vs. 265 stock)! After that gains are much more incremental due to the
> Mustang's well-designed stock motor and exhaust. Tweaks such as
> underdrive pulleys, "off-road" (no cat) X-pipe, headers, mufflers, etc.
> can nudge an S197 GT eventually to around 310-315 rwhp; but to leap
> significantly beyond that, you need to force-feed the motor via a
> blower, turbo, or nitrous.

Well sure, just like a 5.0, if you expect cam/cams to
make more than a little a difference you have to do
something with the heads and the intake manifold.

Old December 28th 06, 02:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
66StangMan

Sorry for taking so long to reply. I've been extremely busy lately.

As for what camshafts I'd recommend, anything with more lift & duration than
the stock cams. Think about it. What happens with more lift and duration in
relation to air/fuel flow? Hmmm...<Jeopardy theme song plays> The air/fuel
has a longer chance of entering the combustion chamber. The trade off though
is a lopey idle. A cam swap is much more cheaper than doing a head swap any
day. If your looking to swap the cams, look at the specs for the cams. The
main 2 things to look at is the operating range and the max rpms. If you are
looking to mainly drag race your car, you definitely don't want a cam that
starts working (read start making gobs of torque) way below the rpm you
intend to launch the car at. An example would be you intend to launch the
car between 3500 & 4000 rpms. I would look for a cam that starts working
around 3000 rpms or a tad higher. This way you will have a better chance of
getting the car to hook up. Now some will tell you that the best way to
increase HP is to install a blower on it. Yea, that's true, if you have
bottomless pockets and don't care where your throwing your money. If your
looking for the best bang for your bucks, a cam swap is the best route.

66stangman

ups.com...