Bulbs

Old October 28th 06, 05:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Cliff[_1_]

Default Bulbs

A silly question but....... does anyone know how to get to and change a
headlight bulb in a chrysler voyager ?

Old October 28th 06, 08:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
NewMan[_1_]

The usual config for them these days is to use a replaceable halogen
bulb. It is not like the old days of "sealed beam" bulbs. (although
retrofit kits can be imported from Germany...)

Pop the hood, and look at the back of the bulb assembly. Remove the
connector ffrom the back, and the bulb base can be twisted until the
locking pins alingn with the slots. Then pull the bulb backwards out
of the headlamp assembly. (it is kinda tight in there!)

Once you know what kind of bulb you have, you can get one from just
about any auto parts store - even some gas stations.

Seems to me they run $10 to $15 CDN$

NOTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When replacing halogen bulbs - WEAR RUBBER GLOVES! if you get your
body oils on the bulb, it wont last but a few days and it will burn
out! Surgical gloves are good, but just about anything will do.

Put the bulb back in through the rear of the headlight assembly -
making sure that the gasket seats properly to prevent moisture getting
in to the reflector chamber.

NOTE::::::::

You may want to inspect the headlight assembly BEFORE you replace the
bulb! Sometimes the glass is cracked from a rock that flipped up. If
there is a crack, then more than likely moisture has leaked into the
assembly and caused premature failure of the bulb. Always a good idea
to check and make sure things are in good condition before you
proceed.

You might want to think about headlight protectors too, depending upon
where you drive most often. I know they are expensive, but if you
think THEY are expensive, then you better pray you never have to
replace the glass portion of the headlight assembly!

hth

On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 16:02:52 GMT, "Cliff"

Old October 29th 06, 09:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Ted Mittelstaedt

"NewMan" > wrote in message

> You might want to think about headlight protectors too, depending upon
> where you drive most often. I know they are expensive, but if you
> think THEY are expensive, then you better pray you never have to
> replace the glass portion of the headlight assembly!

Caravans (at least his vintage) don't have glass headlight lenses.

Ted

Old October 29th 06, 04:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
DanFXR

Many cars nowadays,I believe it includes the Caravan you must remove the
headlight shell.
Open the hood and look for screws securing the headlight shell (not the
adjusters).

Old October 29th 06, 04:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Robbie and Laura Reynolds

NewMan wrote:

> The usual config for them these days is to use a replaceable halogen
> bulb. It is not like the old days of "sealed beam" bulbs. (although
> retrofit kits can be imported from Germany...)
>
> Pop the hood, and look at the back of the bulb assembly. Remove the
> connector ffrom the back, and the bulb base can be twisted until the
> locking pins alingn with the slots. Then pull the bulb backwards out
> of the headlamp assembly. (it is kinda tight in there!)

I'm not sure if it applies to the van in question, but the bulb in my
1999 Voyager does not need to be twisted. There is a locking ring that
you twist to get it off, then you pull the bulb straight out. The older
caravans and voyagers had twisting bulbs, if I remember correctly.

The original poster said "Chrysler Voyager" rather than "Plymouth
Voyager", so I would assume that the bulb wouldn't need to be twisted
because that is a newer van.
Old October 29th 06, 04:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
DanFXR

REMOVAL

(1) Disconnect and isolate the battery negative

cable.

(2) Remove headlamp unit retaining screws.

(3) Remove headlamp unit to expose back of unit.

(4) Remove wiring connector from bulb.

(5) Rotate headlamp bulb retaining ring counterclockwise.

From the 2003 FSM

Old October 30th 06, 05:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Doug

On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 16:02:52 GMT, "Cliff"
> wrote:

>A silly question but....... does anyone know how to get to and change a
>headlight bulb in a chrysler voyager ?

You have to remove the headlight assembly by removing the rear
mounting screws - as other posters have mentioned.

And yes, it is in your owner's manual...

Doug