valve lash adjustment

Old November 13th 08, 12:25 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
earthlink newgroups

Default valve lash adjustment

I do not know the history of my motor, but I have run into a situation that
I could use a little input on.

It is a Chevrolet 350, of course. I had a noisy valve, and found I could
not adjust the lash on #7 intake. Long story short, I pulled the cam, and
found the lobe to be extremely worn. In my approximation, 1/2 inch. Also
intake on #5 was also worn, almost to the same extent. I bought a new cam,
and have installed it. However, I am still unable to adjust the lash on #7
intake. With the cam and lifters being new, and all the push rods the same
length, that only leaves the valve springs. All the rocker arms arms look
good, and also the studs.

I know there are some good mechanical minds out there. I truly appreciate
any thoughts anyone might have on the situation. Thanks, in advance.

Don't hold it against me that it is not in my Vette. I put a new cam in the
Vette, and had no problems. It is in my other toy, a 1970 C-10 pickup. And
it is delaying me enjoying the Vette.

Thanks,
Ken
(69canam)

Old November 13th 08, 12:40 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"earthlink newgroups" > wrote in message
m...
>I do not know the history of my motor, but I have run into a
>situation that I could use a little input on.
>
> It is a Chevrolet 350, of course. I had a noisy valve, and found I
> could not adjust the lash on #7 intake. Long story short, I pulled
> the cam, and found the lobe to be extremely worn. In my
> approximation, 1/2 inch. Also intake on #5 was also worn, almost to
> the same extent. I bought a new cam, and have installed it. However,
> I am still unable to adjust the lash on #7 intake. With the cam and
> lifters being new, and all the push rods the same length, that only
> leaves the valve springs. All the rocker arms arms look good, and
> also the studs.
>
> I know there are some good mechanical minds out there. I truly
> appreciate any thoughts anyone might have on the situation. Thanks,
> in advance.
>
> Don't hold it against me that it is not in my Vette. I put a new
> cam in the Vette, and had no problems. It is in my other toy, a
> 1970 C-10 pickup. And it is delaying me enjoying the Vette.
>
> Thanks,
> Ken
> (69canam)

Been there, done that, although it was on my 78 C-20. The worn cam
lobe didn't move the valve enough to keep the carbon build up off the
valve stem. I soaked it with PB Blaster and then tried some Seafoam,
liberal amounts. Then spent some time with a dead blow hammer tapping
the valve down what seemed like a thousand times while keeping it a
closed as much as I could with air pressure. I used a straight edge to
measure the stem height until it got close to all of the others. Set
that tappet a bit loose and ran it for the next 50,000 miles, still
runs good but is my knock around truck and not used much.

Good luck......

Hydraulic valve lash adjusters on a 1997 Ford 4.6L 2v bob_in_stpete[_2_] Technology 0 April 24th 07 02:36 PM
Hydraulic valve lash adjusters on a 1997 Ford 4.6L 2v bob_in_stpete[_2_] Technology 1 April 24th 07 03:22 AM
Valve,Butterfly valve,Globe valve,Check valve,Ball valve,Plug valve,Marine valve,Gate valve,Flow control valve [email protected] Alfa Romeo 0 April 17th 06 08:20 AM
Valve lash question KWW Honda 5 March 3rd 06 02:21 AM
No valve adjustment for 1998 Nissan DOHC 4-valve 2.4L? larry moe 'n curly Technology 5 September 12th 05 10:10 PM