67 raised rear suspension to fit bigger tires?

Old December 29th 06, 12:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Will

Default 67 raised rear suspension to fit bigger tires?

HI, I bought some 255/60 rear tires for my 67 coupe, after recieving
completley incorrect advice about tire fitment, and now they stick
outside of the fender where if I lowered the car off the lift the lip
of the fender would cut into the top of the tire. Could I raise the
rear suspension so the fender would sit above the tires and they could
stick out. How how would I need to do that so the fender doesn't slam
down when I go over a bump. How exactly do you raise suspension? Thanks.

Old December 29th 06, 02:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
elaich

"Will" > wrote in news:1167352967.566439.88860
@i12g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> HI, I bought some 255/60 rear tires for my 67 coupe, after recieving
> completley incorrect advice about tire fitment, and now they stick
> outside of the fender where if I lowered the car off the lift the lip
> of the fender would cut into the top of the tire. Could I raise the
> rear suspension so the fender would sit above the tires and they could
> stick out. How how would I need to do that so the fender doesn't slam
> down when I go over a bump. How exactly do you raise suspension? Thanks.

Longer shackles behind the leaf springs.
Old December 29th 06, 04:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
RJ

"elaich" > wrote in message ...
> "Will" > wrote in news:1167352967.566439.88860
> @i12g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
>
>> HI, I bought some 255/60 rear tires for my 67 coupe, after recieving
>> completley incorrect advice about tire fitment, and now they stick
>> outside of the fender where if I lowered the car off the lift the lip
>> of the fender would cut into the top of the tire. Could I raise the
>> rear suspension so the fender would sit above the tires and they could
>> stick out. How how would I need to do that so the fender doesn't slam
>> down when I go over a bump. How exactly do you raise suspension? Thanks.
>>

> Longer shackles behind the leaf springs.

Get the correct tires. Sticking out past the fender looks like hell. Raise
the rear high enough to clear on bumbs etc, handing goes to hell. Call this
an education, which by the way is seldom free!

Old December 29th 06, 05:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
OdieBob

Old December 29th 06, 05:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox

Will wrote:
> HI, I bought some 255/60 rear tires for my 67 coupe, after recieving
> completley incorrect advice about tire fitment, and now they stick
> outside of the fender where if I lowered the car off the lift the lip
> of the fender would cut into the top of the tire. Could I raise the
> rear suspension so the fender would sit above the tires and they could
> stick out. How how would I need to do that so the fender doesn't slam
> down when I go over a bump. How exactly do you raise suspension? Thanks.

Get the right tires. Even if you lift it you will have
to go WAAAY up to keep it from hitting during a bump. Been
there done that. Had a friend in highschool that did this on
a 73 Nova, he ended up replacing them way prematurely. You
don't realize it but the car also shifts side to side when
you turn which makes it even worse. If it was a sales dork
that gave you the advice, make them replace them. If it was
just some guy, be far more careful whose opinion you trust.
These are the things you learn on that trip from 14 to 50
and beyond as you do stuff to cars.

--
“I intended that "not stupid" be a requirement.” – Seth
Breidbart
Old December 29th 06, 08:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
BradandBrooks

"Will" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> HI, I bought some 255/60 rear tires for my 67 coupe, after recieving
> completley incorrect advice about tire fitment, and now they stick
> outside of the fender where if I lowered the car off the lift the lip
> of the fender would cut into the top of the tire. Could I raise the
> rear suspension so the fender would sit above the tires and they could
> stick out. How how would I need to do that so the fender doesn't slam
> down when I go over a bump. How exactly do you raise suspension? Thanks.

I had a '67 with stock 14 by 6 inch wheels. The tires were 225/60/14s and
they no where came bear to hitting the lip. I would offer two things, if you
like. One, bang the lip down or cut it off - all it does is collect dirt and
then, rust. Two, check the suspension, it sounds like it is sagging.

Brad

Old December 29th 06, 04:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
walt peifer

"BradandBrooks" > wrote in message

> "Will" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> HI, I bought some 255/60 rear tires for my 67 coupe, after recieving
>> completley incorrect advice about tire fitment, and now they stick
>> outside of the fender where if I lowered the car off the lift the lip
>> of the fender would cut into the top of the tire. Could I raise the
>> rear suspension so the fender would sit above the tires and they could
>> stick out. How how would I need to do that so the fender doesn't slam
>> down when I go over a bump. How exactly do you raise suspension? Thanks.
>>

> I had a '67 with stock 14 by 6 inch wheels. The tires were 225/60/14s and
> they no where came bear to hitting the lip. I would offer two things, if
> you like. One, bang the lip down or cut it off - all it does is collect
> dirt and then, rust. Two, check the suspension, it sounds like it is
> sagging.
>
> Brad

As above check the current ride height. the tire you mentioned should fit.
Do you have the correct "stock " wheels. Sometimes aftermarket wheels have a
different back set than stock. if I remember correctly the inner half on the
wheel house has a very shallow radius at the top so the tire should have
clearance to move inside. Also "zipping" or "radiusing" the rear quarters
was a pretty common solution to tire fitment, it is also done on the front
fenders to correct rub problems, I believe that ford actually did it at the
factory for the Boss series cars with the f-60 15 wide oval tires used in 69
and 70

here is a link about mustang tire fitment
http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techar.../classics.html

Old December 29th 06, 06:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
keng2

"BradandBrooks" > wrote in message

> "Will" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> HI, I bought some 255/60 rear tires for my 67 coupe, after recieving
>> completley incorrect advice about tire fitment, and now they stick
>> outside of the fender where if I lowered the car off the lift the lip
>> of the fender would cut into the top of the tire. Could I raise the
>> rear suspension so the fender would sit above the tires and they could
>> stick out. How how would I need to do that so the fender doesn't slam
>> down when I go over a bump. How exactly do you raise suspension? Thanks.
>>

> I had a '67 with stock 14 by 6 inch wheels. The tires were 225/60/14s and
> they no where came bear to hitting the lip. I would offer two things, if
> you like. One, bang the lip down or cut it off - all it does is collect
> dirt and then, rust. Two, check the suspension, it sounds like it is
> sagging.
>
> Brad

My 67 has 235/60/14's on the rear and 225/60/14's in the front on stock 14x6
ss rims, no problems.
ken

Old December 29th 06, 10:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Dan[_3_]

Your other option is new rims with less offset. You only need 4" back
spacing on the rear rims.
Dan