Jeep mechanic in North Atlanta area

Old October 12th 06, 05:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Justin M

Default Jeep mechanic in North Atlanta area

Anyone in north Atlanta/Roswell/Alpharetta/Duluth have a recommendation
for a shop that knows how to deal with lifted Jeep TJ's? My dealer is
completely useless (and they won't even work on it with an aftermarket
lift), and the place that installed the lift has gone out of business
(bad sign, eh?).

I'm having major front end wobble/shaking/vibrating on my 2002, and I
still haven't been able to find the cause, despite trying everything
I've read in this newsgroup. I don't want to take it into a shop
who has no idea how to deal with lifted Jeeps, so I'd like to find
someone who has experience with 'em.

Any recommendations?

Old October 13th 06, 02:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

Hi Justin,
A wide, and slightly out of round tires are usually the cause. I
can not shimmy without a bad steering stabilizer/dampener shock:
http://www.stu-offroad.com/steering/stab/stab-1.htm Followed by worn out
parts anywhere in your suspension:
http://www.4x4xplor.com/alignment.html
Any shop will take your money.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old October 13th 06, 07:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Justin M

Bill -- I really wish that were the case, because I would have solved
it already. I actually put a different set of wheels and tires
(I have an offroad set and an onroad set) on to make absolutely sure it
wasn't the wheels/tires doing it. Same results.

The two places I've taken it to blame the lift -- "oh, you need to
remove the lift so we can diagnose it." Well, that's not going to
happen. The dealer won't even look at it. I'm sure it's something
stupid and simple, like bad wheel bearings (which I have no idea how to
check, because they're sealed units) or a u-joint (which all look fine
to me, but I probably don't know what I'm doing).

Old October 14th 06, 04:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

Just crawl underneath and wrap a hand around each joint, and have a
friend turn the steering wheel back and forth through the sloppy couple
of inches, and you'll feel any play. Then jack up a wheel and kick it to
see if there's any play in the wheel bearings. I can't believe you can't
find hundreds of shops that will take your money.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old October 15th 06, 11:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Matt Macchiarolo

How long have you had the lift, what lift, what tires? Sounds like you may
be having alignment issues.

ups.com...