E36 Front Upper Strut Tower Bearings

Old August 19th 08, 03:08 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
jclaw05

Default E36 Front Upper Strut Tower Bearings

I believe that the front upper strut tower bearing (passenger side) in
my e36 are shot. I had whole new supsension put in (arms, bushing
(both control and rtb's), struts, shocks), but forgot to tell my guy
to put in new strut bearings. Now I am getting that knocking and
creaking sound at low speeds, when turning or hitting small bumps
while turning. When on the lift and with a little use of a rubber
mallet, the new suspension looks fine, as do the cv joints and tie
rods. As such, I've pretty much narrowed it down to the tower
bearings. Anyone have a link that would direct me to replacing those
on an E36 or is it like any other car (have done them on my VW)?

Thanks
Old August 20th 08, 12:46 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
John Burns

> I believe that the front upper strut tower bearing (passenger side) in
> my e36 are shot. I had whole new supsension put in (arms, bushing
> (both control and rtb's), struts, shocks), but forgot to tell my guy
> to put in new strut bearings. Now I am getting that knocking and
> creaking sound at low speeds, when turning or hitting small bumps
> while turning. When on the lift and with a little use of a rubber
> mallet, the new suspension looks fine, as do the cv joints and tie
> rods. As such, I've pretty much narrowed it down to the tower
> bearings. Anyone have a link that would direct me to replacing those
> on an E36 or is it like any other car (have done them on my VW)?

Same as any other car. Just take the strut to bits.

Are you sure it's not the anti-roll bar links? Sounds very like it might
be.

Email: , John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
Web :
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!
www.Strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible price