M5 or 535?

Old August 19th 08, 01:28 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
daz

Default M5 or 535?

Hi,

I have recently sold my beloved 2004 M3 Coupe and am now in the market
for a current shape 5 series (4 doors, bigger car etc, etc). I can't
decide if the M5 is worth the extra over a 535?

Of course the M version is a lot different car but when it comes down
to it is it worth the extra insurance, running costs, repair bills,
insurance, road tax?

I'll have to go and drive both, I have already tested an M5 and loved
it, not tried the 535 yet. The sound of that v10 when I pressed my
right foot was amazing.

Thanks

Daz
Old August 19th 08, 01:50 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article
daz > wrote:
> I have recently sold my beloved 2004 M3 Coupe and am now in the market
> for a current shape 5 series (4 doors, bigger car etc, etc). I can't
> decide if the M5 is worth the extra over a 535?

> Of course the M version is a lot different car but when it comes down
> to it is it worth the extra insurance, running costs, repair bills,
> insurance, road tax?

> I'll have to go and drive both, I have already tested an M5 and loved
> it, not tried the 535 yet. The sound of that v10 when I pressed my
> right foot was amazing.

I simply couldn't live with the crappy gearbox in the M5. Unless you only
use it for track days.

--
*You! Off my planet!

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old August 19th 08, 02:19 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 05:28:43 -0700 (PDT), daz > wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have recently sold my beloved 2004 M3 Coupe and am now in the market
>for a current shape 5 series (4 doors, bigger car etc, etc). I can't
>decide if the M5 is worth the extra over a 535?
>
>Of course the M version is a lot different car but when it comes down
>to it is it worth the extra insurance, running costs, repair bills,
>insurance, road tax?
>
>I'll have to go and drive both, I have already tested an M5 and loved
>it, not tried the 535 yet. The sound of that v10 when I pressed my
>right foot was amazing.
>
>Thanks
>
>Daz

Depends on which side of the Atlantic your and if in the UK?

UK forget it and buy a 1 series.
--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

Intelligence is not knowing the answer but knowing where and how to find it!

Hugh Gundersen

Bognor Regis, W.Sussex, England, UK
Old August 19th 08, 02:47 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Floyd Rogers[_1_]

"daz" > wrote
> I have recently sold my beloved 2004 M3 Coupe and am now in the market
> for a current shape 5 series (4 doors, bigger car etc, etc). I can't
> decide if the M5 is worth the extra over a 535?
>
> Of course the M version is a lot different car but when it comes down
> to it is it worth the extra insurance, running costs, repair bills,
> insurance, road tax?
>
> I'll have to go and drive both, I have already tested an M5 and loved
> it, not tried the 535 yet. The sound of that v10 when I pressed my
> right foot was amazing.

There are another couple of choices - I'm guessing you're in Europe.
1) A 550i. 360 HP, 360 ft-lbs torque.
2) A 535d. 265 HP, 425 ft-lbs torque
3) A 335i sedan. The E90 3 series is bigger than the E46.

FloydR

Old August 19th 08, 02:54 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
joe_tide[_2_]

"Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote in message
> In article
> >,
> daz > wrote:
>> I have recently sold my beloved 2004 M3 Coupe and am now in the market
>> for a current shape 5 series (4 doors, bigger car etc, etc). I can't
>> decide if the M5 is worth the extra over a 535?

>> Of course the M version is a lot different car but when it comes down
>> to it is it worth the extra insurance, running costs, repair bills,
>> insurance, road tax?

>> I'll have to go and drive both, I have already tested an M5 and loved
>> it, not tried the 535 yet. The sound of that v10 when I pressed my
>> right foot was amazing.

> I simply couldn't live with the crappy gearbox in the M5. Unless you only
> use it for track days.
>
> --
> *You! Off my planet!
>
> Dave Plowman London SW
> To e-mail, change noise into sound.

You can get the 6-speed manual in the US.

Old August 19th 08, 02:57 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
joe_tide[_2_]

"daz" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have recently sold my beloved 2004 M3 Coupe and am now in the market
> for a current shape 5 series (4 doors, bigger car etc, etc). I can't
> decide if the M5 is worth the extra over a 535?
>
> Of course the M version is a lot different car but when it comes down
> to it is it worth the extra insurance, running costs, repair bills,
> insurance, road tax?
>
> I'll have to go and drive both, I have already tested an M5 and loved
> it, not tried the 535 yet. The sound of that v10 when I pressed my
> right foot was amazing.
>
> Thanks
>
> Daz

A friend had the same predicament. He was waffling between the M5, 550i, and
the 535i. After about 6 months of indecision, he finally settled on the
535i - for what that's worth.

Old August 19th 08, 10:23 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
John Carrier

"daz" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have recently sold my beloved 2004 M3 Coupe and am now in the market
> for a current shape 5 series (4 doors, bigger car etc, etc). I can't
> decide if the M5 is worth the extra over a 535?
>
> Of course the M version is a lot different car but when it comes down
> to it is it worth the extra insurance, running costs, repair bills,
> insurance, road tax?
>
> I'll have to go and drive both, I have already tested an M5 and loved
> it, not tried the 535 yet. The sound of that v10 when I pressed my
> right foot was amazing.

M cars typically cost much more to maintain than other BMW's. Of course, in
the US, the 1st 50K is "free." OTOH, the twin turbo six was experiencing
some oil overheating issues in its first incarnation, enough that an small
oil cooler was installed in later production cars. If I went with the 535,
I'd insure it had something similar.

While few sedans can match the M5's performance, how often will you be able
to explore it? Seems kinda senseless if you live in urban gridlock. The
entry level 528 has adequate performance with the manual trans and offers
the most economical 5er for day to day use.

R / John

Old August 19th 08, 11:54 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
dizzy

John Carrier wrote:

>While few sedans can match the M5's performance, how often will you be able
>to explore it?

Exactly.

Old August 20th 08, 08:10 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 16:23:46 -0500, "John Carrier" > wrote:

>"daz" > wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have recently sold my beloved 2004 M3 Coupe and am now in the market
>> for a current shape 5 series (4 doors, bigger car etc, etc). I can't
>> decide if the M5 is worth the extra over a 535?
>>
>> Of course the M version is a lot different car but when it comes down
>> to it is it worth the extra insurance, running costs, repair bills,
>> insurance, road tax?
>>
>> I'll have to go and drive both, I have already tested an M5 and loved
>> it, not tried the 535 yet. The sound of that v10 when I pressed my
>> right foot was amazing.

>M cars typically cost much more to maintain than other BMW's. Of course, in
>the US, the 1st 50K is "free." OTOH, the twin turbo six was experiencing
>some oil overheating issues in its first incarnation, enough that an small
>oil cooler was installed in later production cars. If I went with the 535,

>I'd insure it had something similar.

No you wouldn't - you would ENSURE it had one