high rpm at stop

Old September 22nd 07, 03:48 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
gilmoreguy

Default high rpm at stop

I've got a 1987 Nissan Stanza, (I know it should be in the boneyard
but it's the only thing I can afford right now). It's been running
fine until today. When I come to a stop the rpm not only stay high
but actually accelerate. As soon as I put the car in gear the rpm's
come down to an appropriate level. What's going on? How can it be
fixed?
Thanks in advance

Old September 22nd 07, 02:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Sep 21, 8:48 pm, gilmoreguy > wrote:
> I've got a 1987 Nissan Stanza, (I know it should be in the boneyard
> but it's the only thing I can afford right now). It's been running
> fine until today. When I come to a stop the rpm not only stay high
> but actually accelerate. As soon as I put the car in gear the rpm's
> come down to an appropriate level. What's going on? How can it be
> fixed?
> Thanks in advance

Sticking idle air bybass, maybe. Look for a solenoid sort of device
on the throttle air body. Another possibility is a stuck distributor
advance plate.

Dan

Old September 23rd 07, 03:51 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Noozer

"gilmoreguy" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I've got a 1987 Nissan Stanza, (I know it should be in the boneyard
> but it's the only thing I can afford right now). It's been running
> fine until today. When I come to a stop the rpm not only stay high
> but actually accelerate. As soon as I put the car in gear the rpm's
> come down to an appropriate level. What's going on? How can it be
> fixed?

What happens if you lift the accelerator pedal when this happens?