91 Jeep Steering Column

Old April 20th 08, 08:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys,alt.jeep-l,rec.autos.4x4

Default 91 Jeep Steering Column

Following a vehicle burglary where he lost a stereo system, the
steering column in my son's Jeep appears to be broken. Actually, it
appears that the tilt-wheel mechanism is broken where top part of the
column is no longer stationary and moves around. Has anyone
experienced problems with a broken tilt mechanism? Just wondering
what the level of difficulty is in repairing something like that and
am hopeful, the entire steering column doesn't need to be replaced.

thanks for any advice,
John
Old April 20th 08, 09:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys,alt.jeep-l,rec.autos.4x4
Will Honea[_1_]

wrote:

> Following a vehicle burglary where he lost a stereo system, the
> steering column in my son's Jeep appears to be broken. Actually, it
> appears that the tilt-wheel mechanism is broken where top part of the
> column is no longer stationary and moves around. Has anyone
> experienced problems with a broken tilt mechanism? Just wondering
> what the level of difficulty is in repairing something like that and
> am hopeful, the entire steering column doesn't need to be replaced.
>
> thanks for any advice,

That sounds like the small bolts that attach the tilt mechanism to the lower
shaft have backed out. Common problem and a PITA to fix - you have to
start by pulling the steering wheel and continue taking things apart until
you can finally reach those stinking bolts - they are located just below
the point where the fixed part of the column begins. You will want a copy
of the FSM to work from - lots of parts in there that can get
lost/misplaced. I think you also have an airbag to mess with - get the
instructions for removing that and follow them religiously. One part you
have to be really careful with is the bearing the top part of the shaft
rides in - it has a plastic cage and is easily damaged. Took me the better
part of the day to fix mine.

--
Will Honea
** Posted from

Service Steering Column Spud Corvette 15 April 12th 08 09:25 AM
'91 F-250 Steering Column realfun Technology 3 July 6th 05 12:24 PM
91 jeep comanche steering column question E.T. Jeep 5 February 22nd 05 03:13 AM
Anyone ever transplant an M2 steering column into an M1 ? Chief_Wiggum Mazda 2 September 20th 04 02:30 AM
Steering column Rincewind Saturn 0 June 18th 04 01:10 PM