camshaft sensor

Old July 21st 06, 01:13 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
debern33

Default camshaft sensor

i bought a 1995 chevy lumnia ls w/3.4motor. it ran fine all the way home
from cranston r.i. to centrla falls,r.i. then it would'nt start. had it
anazlized and it came back camshaft sensor,put one in and and when it
starts in the monring ,it revs to 3grand then back donw to 500rpms then
back up and down.could the sensor still be bad or is the feul fitler
clooged or the back plugs look like they were never changed also keep
smelling something burning like too lean can u help me 81,000 ornigal
miles on have title debbie and ernie

Old July 21st 06, 01:33 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Shep

You need to have the fuel pressure checked first then check for codes,
vacuum leaks are common also, this engine is not for a "dyer" to do most
diagnostics or repairs, many components are tough to access. You need a full
diagnostic work up here by some familiar with this engine.
lkaboutautos.com...

Old July 21st 06, 02:28 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Kevin

"debern33" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
>i bought a 1995 chevy lumnia ls w/3.4motor. it ran fine all the way home
> from cranston r.i. to centrla falls,r.i. then it would'nt start. had it
> anazlized and it came back camshaft sensor,put one in and and when it
> starts in the monring ,it revs to 3grand then back donw to 500rpms then
> back up and down.could the sensor still be bad or is the feul fitler
> clooged or the back plugs look like they were never changed also keep
> smelling something burning like too lean can u help me 81,000 ornigal
> miles on have title debbie and ernie

Not sure about your model, but many computerized cars need to relearn their
idle strategy after a sensor replacement. Try running it for about 50 miles
to see if it clears up or find a tech that is familiar with a possible
relearn procedure for your model. Just one of many possibilities.
--
Kevin Mouton
Automotive Technology Instructor

Old July 21st 06, 03:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Garrett Fulton

"debern33" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
>i bought a 1995 chevy lumnia ls w/3.4motor. it ran fine all the way home
> from cranston r.i. to centrla falls,r.i. then it would'nt start. had it
> anazlized and it came back camshaft sensor,put one in and and when it
> starts in the monring ,it revs to 3grand then back donw to 500rpms then
> back up and down.could the sensor still be bad or is the feul fitler
> clooged or the back plugs look like they were never changed also keep
> smelling something burning like too lean can u help me 81,000 ornigal
> miles on have title debbie and ernie

I had a '92 Olds Cutlass Supreme with that DOHC engine that did the exact
same thing yours is doing after a cold start. Turned out the intake plenum
gasket was cracked in 3 places. It's not that bad of a job to replace, just
time consuming. Mine kept putting up a code pointing to a bad idle air
control solenoid, since the command was there but idle was not being
controlled. This was OBD I and was either 34 or 32, I don't remember. I
imagine your computer is OBD II. If it's the plenum gasket, you might think
about replacing the big vacuum line to the brake booster while the plenum is
off. It's bad about going soft and sucking closed and is a heck of a lot
easier to change with the plenum off than on. Hope this helps.

Garrett Fulton