96 RAV4 Ingition Coil Testing

Old July 16th 06, 08:30 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
shavros

Default 96 RAV4 Ingition Coil Testing

I'm getting a 00.5 ohm reading on the primary coil. Ohmmeter is set on
200 ohm. The specs are Cold: 0.36 - 0.55 Ohm Hot: 0.45 - 0.65 Ohm. Do
i need to replace coil?

Old July 16th 06, 11:26 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Kevin

"shavros" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I'm getting a 00.5 ohm reading on the primary coil. Ohmmeter is set on
> 200 ohm. The specs are Cold: 0.36 - 0.55 Ohm Hot: 0.45 - 0.65 Ohm. Do
> i need to replace coil?

When I decided to reply to this post my first inclination was to ask weather
this is a math question or an automotive repair question. Then I decided to
be nice and offer what I can to be helpful. First the math part.... Your
reading of 00.5 is within the range of specifications that you stated.
00.5 is greater than 0.36 and less than 0.55 so it is in the correct range
for Cold. 00.5 is also greater than 0.45 and less than 0.65 so again it is
within the specified range for Hot as well. Unfortunately, these readings do
not provide enough information to determine weather or not you need to
replace the coil. The coil also has a secondary winding and it would also
have to be tested in order to tell you weather or not the coil passes the
necessary resistance checks. Even if both windings fall within the specified
resistance, you could still have a malfunctioning coil. The only time coil
resistance tests are conclusive is when they indicate resistance values that
are outside of the specified range. In other words, if the coils resistance
tests bad then the coil is bad and needs to be replaced, but when the tests
readings are within the correct range, the coil might still be bad for other
reasons. It could have damaged insulation or other circuit problems that
only manifest when the coil is in use. It can have problems that will not
show up by just testing the resistance.

Hope this helps.
--
Kevin Mouton
Automotive Technology Instructor

Old July 16th 06, 05:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim

shavros wrote:

> Thank You. And Thank You for being nice. The next thing I need to do if
> to see if i get any spark from coil.

Just out of curiosity is there any particular reason you are
scrutinizing your coil or are you just taking an inventory of your
vehicles components.

-jim

Old July 20th 06, 06:17 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
shavros

Car wouldn't start. so i guess i start working from the coil. But my
problem was the timming belt.