Chinese Cars are Coming! Chinese Cars are Coming!

Old January 3rd 05, 02:19 AM
Ken Pisichko

Default Chinese Cars are Coming! Chinese Cars are Coming!

Nomen Nescio wrote:

> Multiply this by a million-fold and you can visualize what will become of our
> automotive industry.

Don't EVER forget what happened to the US fountain pen and pencil industry. Dead
too!!

Old January 3rd 05, 05:10 AM
Jeff Falkiner

If Bricklin is involved, it'll just be another scam to line his pockets -
probably with greedy would-be dealer cash.

Just ask the Canadian and New Brunswick (state) governments!

Jeff

"Nomen Nescio" > wrote in message
They'll kill us dead. GM, Ford, D-C, all dead as a door nail. This is a
clear and direct threat to this nation. If the President and Congress do
not act to stop this in its tracks, constellation impeachment is in order.
Yes, you will get cheap cars. For five years you will get cheap cars.
Then our entire industrial base will be dead as a door nail and our dollar
will collapse. The depression that follows will make the Great Depression
look like Spring Time in Bavaria. It will be all over for us. We are dead
men walking and you have been warned.

Don't believe it? Look what happened to our commercial electronic industry
after Asia drove in its claws. Multiply this by a million-fold and you can
visualize what will become of our automotive industry.

>US Group Inks Deal to Import Chinese Cars
>Sun Jan 2, 2005 03:07 PM ET
>
>DETROIT (Reuters) - The man who brought America the mechanically
>challenged Yugo car in the 1980s is turning to China for his next venture
>aimed at selling import vehicles at bargain-basement prices on the U.S.

market.
>A report in Sunday's editions of the Detroit News said New York-based
>entrepreneur Malcolm Bricklin and Allen & Co., an investment banking firm,
>had recently signed the first-ever deal to import Chinese-built cars to
>America.
>
>Their goal, together with state-owned Chinese partner Chery Automobile Co.
>Ltd., is to import up to 250,000 Chinese-made cars annually beginning in
>2007, the report said.
>
>The cars, all-new models including two sedans and a sport utility vehicle,
>will be priced about 30 percent below competing models on the U.S. market,
>Bricklin was quoted as saying.
>
>Bricklin and spokesmen for Allen & Co. or Chery Automobile could not be
>reached for immediate comment.
>
>The newspaper said that cars sold under Bricklin's joint venture, dubbed
>Visionary Vehicles Llc., would have to meet rigorous U.S. safety and
>emission standards.
>
>It also remains to be seen whether Chery, which ranks eighth in sales
>among China's fast-growing automakers, is capable of manufacturing
>vehicles to the standard of quality needed for the U.S. market.
>
>Chery's top-selling vehicle in China, the QQ, is at the center of a legal
>battle with General Motors Corp. (GM.N: Quote, Profile, Research) , which
>charges the small sedan is a direct copy of GM's Chevrolet Spark, the
>newspaper reported.
>
>Bricklin got his start in the auto industry by importing tiny Subarus to
>the United States in the 1960s. He is best known for importing the Yugo, a
>cheap hatchback sedan, into the United States from communist-led
>Yugoslavia beginning in the mid-1980s.
>
>The quality of the cars was notoriously poor and New Jersey-based import
>company Yugo America folded four years after Bricklin sold his stake in

1988.

>------
>
>All rights reserved. Users may download and print extracts of content from
>this website for their own personal and non-commercial use only.
>Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing
>or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written
>consent of Reuters. Reuters and the Reuters sphere logo are registered
>trademarks or trademarks of the Reuters group of companies around the

world.

Old January 3rd 05, 05:10 AM
Jeff Falkiner

Old January 3rd 05, 06:12 PM
Arthur

Do you people believe the Chinese cars will be SO good, and SO cheap, they
will displace the cars we are buying??? Personally, I don't think so.
People in North America and Europe still enjoy a good measure of qualityand
reliability. If the Chinese cars are manufactured cheaply in the same
manner as other goods from the Orient, then I think consumers will stay away
from them in droves. Nomen.....you are an alarmist. Shame on you.

Arthur

Old January 3rd 05, 06:12 PM
Arthur

Old January 3rd 05, 10:39 PM

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 13:12:35 -0500, "Arthur" >
wrote:

>Do you people believe the Chinese cars will be SO good, and SO cheap, they
>will displace the cars we are buying??? Personally, I don't think so.
>People in North America and Europe still enjoy a good measure of qualityand
>reliability. If the Chinese cars are manufactured cheaply in the same
>manner as other goods from the Orient, then I think consumers will stay away
>from them in droves. Nomen.....you are an alarmist. Shame on you.

The " chery QQ EZ-Drive " will come to the market ( US ) at 62,800
yuan ...... thats about $ 7600 US .... and not a bad looking little
car.
Old January 3rd 05, 10:39 PM

Old January 3rd 05, 10:48 PM
HarryS

The same was said about Japan after WWII history will repeat itself.

HarryS

Old January 3rd 05, 10:48 PM
HarryS

Old January 4th 05, 02:26 AM

If the Chinese cars are manufactured cheaply in the same
> manner as other goods from the Orient, then I think consumers will

stay away
> from them in droves

Don't think so !! Consumers are flocking to buy all types of Chinese
and other Oriental produced goods thanks to our greedy big corporations
having the products manufactured offshore. It's difficult to find a
camera or any piece of electronic equipment that's not made in the
Orient. It's strange that communist China has became a major producer
of our goods but we had better not take a vacation in Cuba with that
Chinese camera! Sad that in one generation we have went from being a
nation of producers to a nation of consumers drowning in debt.
What's next? Borrowing from China?