How would you like to find this?

Old June 23rd 07, 05:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
BRUCE HASKIN

Default How would you like to find this?

Now Chirs,

Be careful about the "codgers" thing. I am 72 and leaning on 73.
"Codgers" are "Older" guys :-)
The question that "we" ask is, "what were you doing on December the 7th
1941". ............ ( I was roller skating ) Then we know how old you
are. If you answer, " when ? ", it's a give away. :-)

Bruce Bing '03 LS

Old June 23rd 07, 06:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

When? ;-)
Hey, as long as there's older guys around, that's great and if and when
there aren't, well, that's even greater!

Chris
99BBB

Old June 23rd 07, 02:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:

> Well, at least I know there are some older codgers out here than me but, ya,
> Pat comes close to registering as a 'punk kid' ;-)

Things hurt too much anymore to be called a kid, but I will never give
up the title of punk, I'll just be an old punk instead of a young one.

> I've got to go back and look those photos over again, that was awesome.
> Thanks PWS!
>
> Chris
> 99BBB

Those are cool.
With my interest in both collectibles and cars, especially the thrill of
the hunt, I still can't believe that nobody has sent me that link before.
I have helped about one person a year get online for the last 5 years or
so, and they usually send me EVERYTHING that has been floating around
the Internet for the last 10 years or so.

Pat
Old June 23rd 07, 02:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Rui Pedro Mendes Salgueiro wrote:

> The license plates on the cars that have them are in fact Portuguese.
>
> I had never heard of this and I don't recall any report on car newspapers
> (but I don't read all, obviously). Curious.
>
> I would like to know the history behind it. Probably a private collection
> but why was it abandoned ?

There was not a lot of information with this. I am guessing that the
owner died and had nobody with interest in the collection until the land
was sold. I am curious too.

Of course, they could have been stolen as well, but that doesn't look
like a chop shop and that would be one eccentric thief to just leave
them in there like that.

> I am not very interested in classics for myself, but some of the Lotus
> would be tempting.

As actual driving machines of today, I am not that interested myself in
most of them, but it is cool to see history.
Airbags? How about plate glass windows and pointy steering wheels? Heh.

> BTW, a similar story that I saw on TV once was in Cyprus. After the war
> in 1974 a stand full of brand new Toyotas (?) was blocked by the border.
> The owner could get there on foot, but was unable to remove the cars.
>
> I was unable to find it on the web, but:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Line_%28Cyprus%29
>
> http://www.time.com/time/europe/spec...p5/index2.html
> "The biggest tourist attraction in Cyprus, apart from the beach, is
> the green line, a disjointed barrier of oil drums, razor wire, rusted
> cars and assorted junk that stretches from one side of Cyprus to the
> other. Manned permanently by Turkish troops on one side, Greek Cypriot
> troops on the other and U.N. peacekeepers in between, it is one of the
> most impenetrable boundaries on earth. Signs erected by nationalists and
> the Turkish military keep the memory of war alive. At the nearby Museum
> of Barbarism, gruesome black-and-white photographs of mutilated children
> and a bathtub marked with the 37-year-old blood and brain tissue of a
> young family murdered by Greek insurgents memorialize Greek terror. "
>
> Hah, I found a reference:
>
> http://sipasa.typepad.com/switchboard/cyprus/index.html
> "One Turkish Cypriot businessman imported 200 cars to Lefkosia a few days
> before the Line was drawn. He parked them all in the basement of his
> building. When he was forced to flee, the cars stayed. The Canadian
> troops lived in this building, and would throw massive parties in
> the basement. As a result, some of the cars are a bit smashed up. The
> Canadians pulled out of the peacekeeping mission in 1993, and since
> then some of the British troops have been restoring the cars for fun.
> They are all classic Toyotas with just a few kilometers on the odometer."

Cool, thanks for the links. Very interesting.

Pat
Old June 23rd 07, 10:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Iva

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
>> Iva & ?
>> 2004 Classic Red
>> No more winkin' Miata

> You got it?!
> Cool
> The name will come to you!
>
> Congrats
> Chris
> 99BBB

Yes, I brought her home last Monday night. Yesterday she got a
complete detailing, roof to rubber. and shines even more. Today, we
did a 120 mile romp just to see how she handles the twisties.

It's amazing how different the handling is from the '90! She
certainly dances around corners that the '90 used to worry about.

Hmmm, Dancer? Maybe. We'll see.

Iva & ?
2004 Classic Red
No more winkin' Miata

Old June 24th 07, 12:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Leon van Dommelen

"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:

>When? ;-)
>Hey, as long as there's older guys around, that's great and if and when
>there aren't, well, that's even greater!

Are you suggesting we kill off the older guys?

Leon

--
Leon van Dommelen Bess, the Miata Bozo, the Miata
http://www.dommelen.net/miata
Old June 24th 07, 01:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Leon van Dommelen wrote:

> Are you suggesting we kill off the older guys?
>
> Leon

Logan's Run?

I think that he is talking about the "look at the alternative to getting
older thing", and that he hopes to be one of the "codgers" himself one day.
The old people won't be gone, they just won't be old to him.

Of course, I could be wrong. Chris can be quite bloodthirsty.....

Pat

Old June 26th 07, 03:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

"Leon van Dommelen" > wrote in message
> "Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:
>
>>When? ;-)
>>Hey, as long as there's older guys around, that's great and if and when
>>there aren't, well, that's even greater!

> Are you suggesting we kill off the older guys?
>
> Leon

I'm suggesting we BECOME the older guys! Granted, it's a slow process but
given my perception, the process is accelerating each day just a bit!

Chris
99BBB

Old June 26th 07, 03:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

> Those are cool.
> With my interest in both collectibles and cars, especially the thrill of
> the hunt, I still can't believe that nobody has sent me that link before.

I've been thinking the same thing, what's wrong with my 'peeps'

Chris (trying to be a punk ;-)
99BBB

> I have helped about one person a year get online for the last 5 years or
> so, and they usually send me EVERYTHING that has been floating around the
> Internet for the last 10 years or so.
>
> Pat

Tell me about it, I've got a brother-in-law that I'm itching to, how do you
say..... kill-file? You know what I mean, 'block sender'.

Chris
99BBB

Old June 26th 07, 04:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

> It's amazing how different the handling is from the '90! She certainly
> dances around corners that the '90 used to worry about.

Oh, you're going to start a big NA vs NB war, you better watch it!
Those of us who've owned both (for more than a couple weeks ;-) will get two
votes when the fighting breaks out ;-)

Chris
formerly 92BB&T
currently 99BBB

how to find used car in the U.S.A JWH Technology 4 July 21st 06 01:21 AM
GTR--How do I find my FPS Joseph Mendel Simulators 1 July 23rd 05 05:32 AM
Great place to find those hard to find parts E 4x4 0 April 18th 05 02:22 PM
Find It! [email protected] BMW 0 March 23rd 05 10:07 AM
AD: Find the items you cant find + more brett Antique cars 0 February 24th 04 01:17 PM