tranny, (et al), install questions

Old June 12th 07, 11:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
peter

Default tranny, (et al), install questions

Hi,

a couple of questions...
- it says to fill the tranny up with 2.1 qt of 85/80w oil...is this done
via the dip stick?

- and the shifter wants +/- 85cc additioan poured from inside the car,
right?

- the ppf measurement I get is 2 1/5" it should be 2.6 +/- .19...how is
the ppf repositioned? loosen the bolts and jack it up?

- I seem to remember the exhaust gaskets being 2" yet when I measure, it
looks like the car wants 2 3/8"...is the stocker 2" while my cando
exhaust is 2 3/8" ?

- is it normal to be able to see thru the cat?

tia,
peter
Old June 12th 07, 11:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

peter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> a couple of questions...
> - it says to fill the tranny up with 2.1 qt of 85/80w oil...is this done
> via the dip stick?

I have always filled mine up from inside the car using a tube going into
the drain/filler hole from the console area.

> - and the shifter wants +/- 85cc additioan poured from inside the car,
> right?

Yeah, I have never measured it out, just filled it up enough so that it
is full but doesn't slosh some out when I put the shifter in.

> - the ppf measurement I get is 2 1/5" it should be 2.6 +/- .19...how is
> the ppf repositioned? loosen the bolts and jack it up?

Can't help there. I have removed 2 of them, but have never put one back on.

> - I seem to remember the exhaust gaskets being 2" yet when I measure, it
> looks like the car wants 2 3/8"...is the stocker 2" while my cando
> exhaust is 2 3/8" ?

The stock 1.8 liter catalytic converter and mid-pipe take larger than 2"
gaskets, iirc.
It seems like the FM cat hooking to the OEM exhaust manifold and OEM
mid-pipe on the 1996 model took 2 1/2" gaskets, maybe they were 2 3/8".

It has been a while since I have worked on a completely stock exhaust.

> - is it normal to be able to see thru the cat?

> tia,
> peter

Yes, not a clear picture at all, but there should be plenty of light
shining through the element if you hold it up to sunlight or a light bulb.

Pat
Old June 13th 07, 01:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
peter

pws wrote:
> peter wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> a couple of questions...
>> - it says to fill the tranny up with 2.1 qt of 85/80w oil...is this
>> done via the dip stick?

> I have always filled mine up from inside the car using a tube going into
> the drain/filler hole from the console area.

ok

>> - and the shifter wants +/- 85cc additioan poured from inside the car,
>> right?

> Yeah, I have never measured it out, just filled it up enough so that it
> is full but doesn't slosh some out when I put the shifter in.

sound easier that finding a cc measure

>> - the ppf measurement I get is 2 1/5" it should be 2.6 +/- .19...how
>> is the ppf repositioned? loosen the bolts and jack it up?

> Can't help there. I have removed 2 of them, but have never put one back on.

why not?? dont they stiffen up the car?

>> - I seem to remember the exhaust gaskets being 2" yet when I measure,
>> it looks like the car wants 2 3/8"...is the stocker 2" while my cando
>> exhaust is 2 3/8" ?

> The stock 1.8 liter catalytic converter and mid-pipe take larger than 2"
> gaskets, iirc.
> It seems like the FM cat hooking to the OEM exhaust manifold and OEM
> mid-pipe on the 1996 model took 2 1/2" gaskets, maybe they were 2 3/8".

I'll just take the piece to the jobber...

> It has been a while since I have worked on a completely stock exhaust.
>
>> - is it normal to be able to see thru the cat?

>> tia,
>> peter

> Yes, not a clear picture at all, but there should be plenty of light
> shining through the element if you hold it up to sunlight or a light bulb.

this one looks like harly straingh pipe...

thanks,
peter

Old June 13th 07, 03:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

peter wrote:

> this one looks like harly straingh pipe...
>
> thanks,
> peter

Do you mean that it is an open pipe?

Pat
Old June 14th 07, 11:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
peter

pws wrote:
> peter wrote:
>
>> this one looks like harly straingh pipe...
>>
>> thanks,
>> peter

> Do you mean that it is an open pipe?
>
> Pat

what is what it ollks like i guess I will wait until emmission gets
mad to change it.
Old June 14th 07, 03:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

peter wrote:

> what is what it ollks like i guess I will wait until emmission gets
> mad to change it.

My JR cat failed long ago and I hollowed it out. Very tinny sounding, I
really hated it.
I bought a "test pipe" catalytic converter replacement and then it
sounded great without that hollow expansion chamber. No question that
the lack of a catalytic converter added power to the car.

The car was dead about a year before the new local emissions would have
made me put one back on.

The current one has a 3" cat, is a 1991 model so does not have the
OBD-II hookup to worry about at all, and it passes the tailpipe sniffer
with very good results, two times so far.

Pat
Old June 16th 07, 09:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck

Tranny alignment-- There was a scheme that used a lazer pointer and
references on the tranny and rear end. I don't have any documentation
on it anymore. Someone else might. All I remember was that you took the pen
clip off the pointer, and slipped it in one of the holes.
. ..

Old June 21st 07, 12:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
peter

Chuck wrote:
> Tranny alignment-- There was a scheme that used a lazer pointer and
> references on the tranny and rear end. I don't have any documentation
> on it anymore. Someone else might. All I remember was that you took the pen
> clip off the pointer, and slipped it in one of the holes.

thanks chuck,
peter

GPL re-install Bonz Simulators 4 August 15th 06 02:09 PM
Golf III tranny questions [email protected] VW water cooled 1 March 13th 06 12:13 AM
Removed tranny crossmember w/o tranny jack. [email protected] Technology 4 July 11th 05 05:07 PM
Conversion from auto tranny to manual tranny Masospaghetti Technology 3 June 29th 05 10:34 PM
Need new top install - $$? Scott Hughes Mazda 10 April 8th 05 02:58 AM