Ignition timing for best gas mileage

Old March 9th 08, 11:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.dodge.trucks
Samson[_2_]

Default Ignition timing for best gas mileage

I have an 87 Dodge Dakota V6, originally equipped with a Holley 6280
electronic feedback carburetor. The mixture control solenoid in the carb
went south a while back and is no longer available so I replaced the
6280 with a 2280, which is the non-feedback version without the mixture
control solenoid.

Recently, after installing the new carb and an MSD spark booster, and
adjusting everything to factory specs, I made a 200 mile trip which was
about 90% freeway and with a 1/2 mile gain in elevation.

I got 22.7 mpg. And this is with a heavy duty lumber rack and a 2'x2'x4'
toolbox full of tools and starting out with a full tank of gas. The
truck had about 113,000 miles on it.

I was really dumbstruck at the gas mileage I got on this trip and then
started to wonder how I could better it. The factory manual says
disconnect all the ignition timing inputs to the computer to set the
spark to 7 degrees BTC. That's where it is now.

Which way should I tweak the timing to get better mileage? Should I go 5
degrees BTC or 9 degrees BTC? I am especially interested in getting
better city mileage with lot's of stop and go driving. Can I expect this
by tweaking the ignition timing?

--

McCain -- it rhymes with Hussein, Bahrain, cocaine, insane, wolfbane,
chest pain and chow mein.
Old March 10th 08, 12:00 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.dodge.trucks
.boB[_2_]

Samson wrote:
> I have an 87 Dodge Dakota V6, originally
> equipped with a Holley 6280
> electronic feedback carburetor. The mixture
> control solenoid in the
> carb went south a while back and is no longer
> available so I replaced
> the 6280 with a 2280, which is the non-feedback
> version without the
> mixture control solenoid.
>
> Recently, after installing the new carb and an
> MSD spark booster, and
> adjusting everything to factory specs, I made a
> 200 mile trip which
> was about 90% freeway and with a 1/2 mile gain
> in elevation.
>
> I got 22.7 mpg. And this is with a heavy duty
> lumber rack and a
> 2'x2'x4' toolbox full of tools and starting out
> with a full tank of
> gas. The truck had about 113,000 miles on it.
>
> I was really dumbstruck at the gas mileage I got
> on this trip and then
> started to wonder how I could better it. The
> factory manual says
> disconnect all the ignition timing inputs to the
> computer to set the
> spark to 7 degrees BTC. That's where it is now.
>
> Which way should I tweak the timing to get
> better mileage? Should I
> go 5 degrees BTC or 9 degrees BTC? I am
> especially interested in
> getting better city mileage with lot's of stop
> and go driving. Can I
> expect this by tweaking the ignition timing?

--

There are some power - and therefore economy -
by maximizing the spark timing. That doesn't

--------
..boB
2006 FXDI hot rod
2008 Mustang Coupe
2001 Dodge Dakota QC 5.9/4x4/3.92
1966 Mustang Coupe - Daily Driver
1965 FFR Cobra - 427W EFI, Damn Fast.

Timing with a MSD ignition box Jamie Corvette 2 September 26th 06 05:44 AM
99 CRV, lower gas mileage after timing belt replacement DelCRVOwner Honda 7 July 4th 06 02:13 AM
ignition timing seth Saturn 3 March 8th 06 05:38 PM
Timing belt - mileage vs time SoCalMike Honda 55 July 19th 05 10:39 PM
Ignition Timing mbjj Technology 6 April 6th 05 08:04 PM