GPS Tracking Coming to a DMV Near You

Old December 26th 05, 11:59 PM posted to misc.survivalism,rec.autos.driving

Default GPS Tracking Coming to a DMV Near You

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 21:52:45 -0600, Matt Helm >
wrote:

>http://news.com.com/2102-1071_3-5980...=st.util.print
>
>[excerpt]
>The U.S. Department of Transportation has been handing millions of
>dollars to state governments for GPS-tracking pilot projects designed
>to track vehicles wherever they go. So far, Washington state and
>Oregon have received fat federal checks to figure out how to levy
>these "mileage-based road user fees."
>
>Now electronic tracking and taxing may be coming to a DMV near
>you. The Office of Transportation Policy Studies, part of the Federal
>Highway Administration, is about to announce another round of grants
>totaling some $11 million. A spokeswoman on Friday said the office is
>"shooting for the end of the year" for the announcement, and more
>money is expected for GPS (Global Positioning System) tracking
>efforts.
>
>[snip]
>
>No rule prohibits that massive database of GPS trails from being
>subpoenaed by curious divorce attorneys, or handed to insurance
>companies that might raise rates for someone who spent too much time
>at a neighborhood bar. No policy bans police from automatically
>sending out speeding tickets based on what the GPS data say.
>
>The Fourth Amendment provides no protection. The U.S. Supreme Court
>said in two cases, U.S. v. Knotts and U.S. v. Karo, that Americans
>have no reasonable expectation of privacy when they're driving on a
>public street.

-------------------------------------

Fed up with illegal immigration?
_____

Forums to discuss news items of illegal immigration:

http://www.libertypost.org/cgi-bin/listarticles.cgi?117
http://www.saveourstate.org

http://www.minutemanhq.com/hq/index.php

Indexes breaking news of illegal immigration:

http://idexer.com

Other important links:

http://www.newswithviews.com/Wooldridge/frostyA.htm
http://www.rescuewithoutborders.org/index.html
http://www.americanpatrol.com/LINKS/LINKS.html
http://www.vdare.com/links.htm
http://fairus.org/
http://numbersusa.com/index

_____

"Cosmic upheaval is not so moving as a little child pondering the death
of a sparrow in the corner of a barn." -Anouk Aimee, French Actor
_____

"Death is better, a milder fate than tyranny", Aeschylus (525BC-456BC),
Agamemnon
_____

"I wear no Burka." - Mother Nature

----------
To send mail: remove hutch
Old December 27th 05, 05:18 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 23:59:55 GMT, Bunn E. Rabbit
> wrote:

>On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 21:52:45 -0600, Matt Helm >
>wrote:
>

>>http://news.com.com/2102-1071_3-5980...=st.util.print
>>
>>[excerpt]
>>The U.S. Department of Transportation has been handing millions of
>>dollars to state governments for GPS-tracking pilot projects designed
>>to track vehicles wherever they go. So far, Washington state and
>>Oregon have received fat federal checks to figure out how to levy
>>these "mileage-based road user fees."
>>
>>Now electronic tracking and taxing may be coming to a DMV near
>>you. The Office of Transportation Policy Studies, part of the Federal
>>Highway Administration, is about to announce another round of grants
>>totaling some $11 million. A spokeswoman on Friday said the office is
>>"shooting for the end of the year" for the announcement, and more
>>money is expected for GPS (Global Positioning System) tracking
>>efforts.
>>
>>[snip]
>>
>>No rule prohibits that massive database of GPS trails from being
>>subpoenaed by curious divorce attorneys, or handed to insurance
>>companies that might raise rates for someone who spent too much time
>>at a neighborhood bar. No policy bans police from automatically
>>sending out speeding tickets based on what the GPS data say.

Look for public transit usage to explode if anything like this is ever
enacted.

Old December 27th 05, 06:20 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.urban-transit

>>>No rule prohibits that massive database of GPS trails from being
>>>subpoenaed by curious divorce attorneys, or handed to insurance
>>>companies that might raise rates for someone who spent too much time
>>>at a neighborhood bar. No policy bans police from automatically
>>>sending out speeding tickets based on what the GPS data say.

> Look for public transit usage to explode if anything like this is ever
> enacted.

Highly unlikely . . . at least in the U.S. Even THAT (gps tracking of all
vehicles) wouldn't be enough to push people onto mass transit in the U.S.
Even if it did, they'd start scanning your ID when you enter and leave each
station. -Dave

Old December 27th 05, 08:20 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.urban-transit

> Look for public transit usage to explode if anything like this is ever
> enacted.

Doubtful. It'd be just another personal liberty lost ;we're getting quite
accustomed to it. Eventually we will wear them around our necks like the
sheep we are allowing ourselves to become.

Old December 27th 05, 08:24 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.urban-transit

In article >, Scott en Aztlán wrote:

>Look for public transit usage to explode if anything like this is ever
>enacted.

They have that covered. The Boston Herald reports today
that the MBTA's new electronic fare collection system
will keep use records for two years. You can pay extra
to have a pass that is harder to automatically link to
you. New York has been using passes to track subway users
for years.

--
John Carr )
Old December 27th 05, 08:27 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.urban-transit

In article >, Scott en Aztlán wrote:

> Look for public transit usage to explode if anything like this is ever
> enacted.

They'll have you carrying an indentifiable tracking fare card.
Here's the prototype:
http://www.chicago-card.com/cc/

Old December 27th 05, 08:38 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 09:18:42 -0800, Scott en Aztlán wrote:

>>>No rule prohibits that massive database of GPS trails from being
>>>subpoenaed by curious divorce attorneys, or handed to insurance
>>>companies that might raise rates for someone who spent too much time
>>>at a neighborhood bar. No policy bans police from automatically
>>>sending out speeding tickets based on what the GPS data say.

> Look for public transit usage to explode if anything like this is ever
> enacted.

If ubiquitous "they" will go through all that trouble to track personal
vehicles, adding tracking capabilities to public transit systems is
trivially simple and cheap in comparision (RFID fare cards, anyone?).
So, no real incentive to switch.

Tarhimdugurth
--
----[Krzysztof Ziêtara]----------------[Linux User #79773]---------------
"Wiêc pracuj uczciwie dla dobra swego kraju/
Old December 27th 05, 08:42 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.urban-transit

Scott en Aztlán wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 23:59:55 GMT, Bunn E. Rabbit
> > wrote:
>

>>On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 21:52:45 -0600, Matt Helm >
>>wrote:
>>

>>>http://news.com.com/2102-1071_3-5980...=st.util.print
>>>
>>>[excerpt]
>>>The U.S. Department of Transportation has been handing millions of
>>>dollars to state governments for GPS-tracking pilot projects designed
>>>to track vehicles wherever they go. So far, Washington state and
>>>Oregon have received fat federal checks to figure out how to levy
>>>these "mileage-based road user fees."
>>>
>>>Now electronic tracking and taxing may be coming to a DMV near
>>>you. The Office of Transportation Policy Studies, part of the Federal
>>>Highway Administration, is about to announce another round of grants
>>>totaling some $11 million. A spokeswoman on Friday said the office is
>>>"shooting for the end of the year" for the announcement, and more
>>>money is expected for GPS (Global Positioning System) tracking
>>>efforts.
>>>
>>>[snip]
>>>
>>>No rule prohibits that massive database of GPS trails from being
>>>subpoenaed by curious divorce attorneys, or handed to insurance
>>>companies that might raise rates for someone who spent too much time
>>>at a neighborhood bar. No policy bans police from automatically
>>>sending out speeding tickets based on what the GPS data say.

> Look for public transit usage to explode if anything like this is ever
> enacted.

Sounds like yet another good argument for private, as opposed to
government roads.

Best Regards,

DAve

Old December 27th 05, 08:52 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.urban-transit

In article <lHhsf.4075$Q73.2059@trnddc03>, DaveW wrote:

> Sounds like yet another good argument for private, as opposed to
> government roads.

Which will become corporate controlled roads, and corporations are some
of the biggest backers of tracking. Haven't you noticed how corporations
have been attempting to track and log everything people buy, do, etc with
their products?

Broad band over power lines has been considered a good thing by
corporations because it will allow them to monitor the entire life cycle
of products that are plugged into electrical outlets.

A private controlled road will be about as untracked as going to a large
chain grocery store and being forced to choose between having your
purchases tracked and paying very high prices.

Old December 28th 05, 12:02 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.urban-transit

Brent P wrote:
> In article <lHhsf.4075$Q73.2059@trnddc03>, DaveW wrote:
>

>>Sounds like yet another good argument for private, as opposed to
>>government roads.

> Which will become corporate controlled roads, and corporations are some
> of the biggest backers of tracking. Haven't you noticed how corporations
> have been attempting to track and log everything people buy, do, etc with
> their products?
>
> Broad band over power lines has been considered a good thing by
> corporations because it will allow them to monitor the entire life cycle
> of products that are plugged into electrical outlets.
>
> A private controlled road will be about as untracked as going to a large
> chain grocery store and being forced to choose between having your
> purchases tracked and paying very high prices.

Drivel.

First you make the assumption that privately owned means corporate owned,

Second, you assume that Corporations (limited liability companies)
themselves are not creations of government.

Third, and mostly correct, you assume that ordinary people will gladly
give up privacy and freedom to save a few bucks. That's how we got into
the mess in the first place.

Best Regards,

DAve