95 Accord Front Wheel Bearing Replacement DIY?

Old July 21st 06, 12:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default 95 Accord Front Wheel Bearing Replacement DIY?

I have a 95 Accord with one of the front wheel bearings going bad. Took
it to a tire place today for a diagnoses. They couldn't tell if it was
the L or R front. Manager said when I wanted to bring it in he had a
stethoscope at home and would bring it in on the day I schedule for
repair to find out which side it is.

Quote;
$130 for the bearing -
$164 for labor -
$20 for "shop supplies" -
$20 tax

Grand total
$334

Is this a DIY project if I can find out which side it is?
Any special tools needed?
I was told that the bearing is pressed in. Obviously I don't have a
press but could have it removed and pressed in? Or buy an aftermarket
hub&bearing combo for $75?

Tried to find a step by step online, unsucsessful. My "Chilton's" has
no info.

Old July 21st 06, 01:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Try the free online repair guide at AutoZone:

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...3d800d1925.jsp

It shows you how to remove and install the hub bearing, but you do need
a press and the necessary press support and driver. A properly equipped
machine shop or the dealer can do this for you. Check the labor cost
first.

After market part lists at rockauto.com: BECK/ARNLEY Part # 0514108
Front Wheel Bearing, 2 Per Car $58.79. So your complete assembly at
$75 sounds like a good deal. Make sure it's from a reputable source.

Old July 21st 06, 04:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle

> wrote
> Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but, I've gone to sl
> almost every time
> I've needed to fix something and 9 times out of 10 I can't
> find what
> I'm looking for.
>
> Example, what I'm looking for now, 95 Accord wheel
> bearing.

A few years ago I too kvetched about the ridiculous
subheadings for finding the different Honda parts at
slhonda.com , Majestic, et al.

Some kind, older soul confirmed the method was akin to
madness at times but said to persevere; the parts are indeed
always there.

In this case, try the front brake section, e.g. for an LX:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...+BRAKE+%281%29

Old July 21st 06, 05:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
sqdancerLynn[_1_]

Make sure to check the rear wheel bearings The noise can sometimes fool you
as to where it is comming from.