Flickering Oil Press MIL at idle only. 1998 Accord V6 265K. Intermittent.

Old October 5th 11, 12:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Meatman

Default Flickering Oil Press MIL at idle only. 1998 Accord V6 265K. Intermittent.

1998 Honda Accord EX V6 265k miles. No leaks! No smoke on start-up
or otherwise. Oil changed by me every 3-5k like a crackhead. No
prior indications. Nothing else wrong or ongoing. Yes, oil level at
FULL. Engine is still really tight.
-
STORY: Flickering oil light showed suddenly...no prior random single
flickers...just one night, at idle, it started the rapid flicker at
idle. Came and went. Not always, not every idle. Seemingly just
when it chooses. It can disappear for a day or two. Or keep it up
for a day or two.
-
HOWEVER, of note, the VERY lightest touch on the accel pedal
(equivalent of a feather...) makes it disappear always. Never seen it
at any speed other than idle, randomly.
-
Purchased but haven't installed new pressure sender, btw.
- Thoughts?
Old October 6th 11, 11:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Meatman

ELMO ASKED: <What about rolling down the highway at speed but you put
it into neutral
and idle the engine....????

How about car sitting parked, tranny in park, car idling?

If it happens then, what happens when you give a VERY light touch on
the
gas pedal?>>>
-
ANSWERS:
-
1) Original described condition occurs at idle at a stop-light, etc
(when it wants to). AND, YES, OCCURS when in park as well (when it
wants to). Witnessed it 2 nights ago, on-and-off rapid flickering
whilst sitting in driveway for 20 minutes in Park.
-
2) Highway TEST: No highway today, but slipped it into N about
200 yds from stoplight at speed of 50mph. Watched the oil light
meanwhile. Nothing. Only a few seconds after I had settled at a dead
stop at the red-light the flickering oil light returned. And the
slightest rpm increase kills it...always.
-
And like I said, there are days that I could do this/these same tests
for you, at idle, at speed, in P...and never see the Oil MIL. As far
as predictability, it's definitely hit or miss.
-
FEW OTHER THINGS, if you will:
- Prob first occurred one week after I changed oil myself with honda
filter as I've done on all my cars for the past 15 years +/-.
- When noodling around the interwebs, and talking to my bro who has
full, detailed access to All-DATA info....I've heard mention of a
check-valve or relief valve with regards to the oil flow.
- And lastly, I've done so many oil changes over years I don't pay
attention...but I THINK i remember the following scenario though I was
way low on sleep: I would swear that after I broke oil filter loose
from it's base and unscrewed some...and the required spillage
happened....I would almost swear that when I unscrewed it finally and
removed it...that I got another quick gusher of oil from the filter
mount/base on the block. Could be an illusion, or my tiredness at the
time. At any rate, does this sound like anything remotely possible on
a '265k tip-top V6 accord engine'?
Old October 10th 11, 11:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_4_]

On 10/05/2011 04:45 AM, Meatman wrote:
> 1998 Honda Accord EX V6 265k miles. No leaks! No smoke on start-up
> or otherwise. Oil changed by me every 3-5k like a crackhead. No
> prior indications. Nothing else wrong or ongoing. Yes, oil level at
> FULL. Engine is still really tight.
> -
> STORY: Flickering oil light showed suddenly...no prior random single
> flickers...just one night, at idle, it started the rapid flicker at
> idle. Came and went. Not always, not every idle. Seemingly just
> when it chooses. It can disappear for a day or two. Or keep it up
> for a day or two.
> -
> HOWEVER, of note, the VERY lightest touch on the accel pedal
> (equivalent of a feather...) makes it disappear always. Never seen it
> at any speed other than idle, randomly.
> -
> Purchased but haven't installed new pressure sender, btw.
> - Thoughts?

i'm not sure if you can fit the outsize oil filter on that motor, but if
you can, try a wix 51344. it's quietened down my i4 accord and my civic
on cold start, and i'm certain it'll help your idle pressure. use a
slightly thicker oil too - 5w-30, not 0w-20 or anything like that.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old October 16th 11, 09:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Meatman

Thanks all! FIXED! (?)
-
I replaced the $11 one-wire oil press switch/sender........which IS
ONE AGGRAVATING LITTLE MOFO to access!!! Pushing on 7 days now of
same driving conditions and weather +/- and all is good. No winks,
blinks or nods :-) from the idiot light. Mind you, the friggin
protective boot had turned to plastic concrete by now. OH, and yes it
illuminates on startup as it should and disappears in a flash as it
should.