Atheists demand removal of Utah highway crosses commemorating fallen Highway Patrol troopers

Old December 3rd 05, 03:53 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Atheists demand removal of Utah highway crosses commemorating fallen Highway Patrol troopers

DTJ > wrote in
:

> On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 12:26:27 -0600, old hoodoo
> wrote:
>
>>It is about separation of Church and State.

> Sorry, but there is no such thing in the constitution. Read it. It
> basically says congress shall not ESTABLISH any national religion.

WRONG.It SAYS "shall make no *establishment OF religion*".
"of RELIGION",not "of national religion" or "'of a church".
Placing a religious monument on public property IS "establishment OF
RELIGION".Same for public school Bible studies.And public prayers are never
of any disputed religions,like Wicca,but almost universally Christian.

> Religious symbols used by hundreds of religions do not establish a
> religion.
>
> I don't want the government dictating a religion to my kids. This is
> the only country where that can't happen.

Bull;it did happen when public schools taught religion.
It happens every time prayers are said at public meetings.
Better to have a moment of silence and people can silently pray as they
wish,or not.

The latest assault is the teaching of religion in a "historical" sense,but
you can be certain that it will be overwhelmingly slanted towards
Christianity and completely neglect the dark religions.
Just a backdoor method of "establishment of religion";Christianity.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old December 3rd 05, 11:21 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

On 3 Dec 2005 15:53:25 GMT, Jim Yanik > wrote:

>>>It is about separation of Church and State.

>> Sorry, but there is no such thing in the constitution. Read it. It
>> basically says congress shall not ESTABLISH any national religion.

>WRONG.It SAYS "shall make no *establishment OF religion*".
>"of RELIGION",not "of national religion" or "'of a church".
>Placing a religious monument on public property IS "establishment OF
>RELIGION".Same for public school Bible studies.And public prayers are never
>of any disputed religions,like Wicca,but almost universally Christian.

Sorry, but if we are going to quote it, you have to get it right.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion,
or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of
speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to
assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

This does not say "shall make no *establishment OF religion*", it says
make no LAW. So Congress can put up fountains and crosses and the ten
commandments all it wants, as long as they don't pass a LAW respecting
an ESTABLISHMENT of religion, or preventing the free exercise thereof.
Your opinion prevents me from free exercise. Mine does nothing to
you.

>> Religious symbols used by hundreds of religions do not establish a
>> religion.
>>
>> I don't want the government dictating a religion to my kids. This is
>> the only country where that can't happen.
>>

>Bull;it did happen when public schools taught religion.

???

>It happens every time prayers are said at public meetings.

Bull****. You want to pray to satan, you can do that while everyone
else prays to their god. I will pray to God.

>Better to have a moment of silence and people can silently pray as they
>wish,or not.

I am OK with that, but you better check the liberal agenda before you
propose anything sensible.

>The latest assault is the teaching of religion in a "historical" sense,but
>you can be certain that it will be overwhelmingly slanted towards
>Christianity and completely neglect the dark religions.
>Just a backdoor method of "establishment of religion";Christianity.

???

You mean like the liberals who are trying to foster Islam on us? The
ones who are FORCING are children to read about the Koran, but won't
allow them to even bring a bible to school?

We aren't going to agree here, but I seriously can't even imagine
where you are getting this **** from. The law of this land says
congress must stay out of the religion business. They are.
Old December 4th 05, 03:13 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Greek "mythlogy"
Kwanzaa
The Koran
Judaism
"Evolution" (some people see that as a religion of science)

All of the above are required studies in the public schools here. And, I
honestly don't have a problem with that. I don't see those studies as being
"laws establishing religion". I think it's important for us all to study
other religions as a basis to understand what is important to other cultures
and so we can all be sensitive to it. However the study of Christianity is
strictly off limits. It doesn't make sense having the mixed standard.

Old December 4th 05, 06:58 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

James C. Reeves, > was motivated to say this in
rec.autos.driving on Sat, 3 Dec 2005 22:13:03 -0500:
> However the study of Christianity is strictly off limits.
> It doesn't make sense having the mixed standard.

In the PC world, hypocrisy is the standard.
Old December 5th 05, 04:08 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

On Sat, 3 Dec 2005 22:13:03 -0500, "James C. Reeves"
> wrote:

>Greek "mythlogy"
>Kwanzaa
>The Koran
>Judaism
>"Evolution" (some people see that as a religion of science)
>
>All of the above are required studies in the public schools here. And, I
>honestly don't have a problem with that. I don't see those studies as being
>"laws establishing religion". I think it's important for us all to study
>other religions as a basis to understand what is important to other cultures
>and so we can all be sensitive to it. However the study of Christianity is
>strictly off limits. It doesn't make sense having the mixed standard.

Exactly. Then after forcing all the other religions down our throats,
and forbidding our religion, they tell us how they protected our
religious freedoms.