A Cars forum. AutoBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AutoBanter forum » Auto makers » Alfa Romeo
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Alfasud Overheating/Tuning

Old September 13th 12, 02:02 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Alfasud Overheating/Tuning

On Tuesday, September 5, 2000 2:58:56 PM UTC-4, Ryan wrote:
> Hi.When I bought my Sprint it had the same overheating problem. Look inside the reservoir for a rusty/scaly residue, which would indicate a rusty cooling system due to insufficient anti-freeze being used. As a result, bits of rust accumalate in the bottom of the radiator and block it, resulting in the motor overheating.Do a simple check. When the car runs up to 100 C, touch the cooling fins on the radiator all over and it should be very!! hot at the bottom and progressively cooler towards the top (near exit). If however you find "colder" spots on the radiator, it is not doing it's job and it's probably due for a recore or just flush if you're lucky.Remeber to always use antifreeze, as iron oxide (from block) oxidises the aluminium heads.RyanDon wrote:> A quickie... > > Just got my hands on a cheap '82 Sud Ti 1.5.. Was well maintained with > NZ$5000+ spent between 1992-1998 but appears to have a problem with the > cooling system.> > Coolant reservoir/tank has a 3rd party pressure cap (radiator cap) and > coolant leaks out of the pressure relief hose. Temp gets no worse than 100 > deg C but is losing coolant. Waterpump was replaced in 1996.> > Other info that may be relevant. Two of the four NGK plugs seem to indicate > a lean mixture. Have replaced all four NGK plugs with some spare Golden > Lodges. Need to check timing, adjust mixture, and slow down idle speed > (1500rpm).>> Any ideas?>> Cheers, > Don..> 1996 Alfa Romeo 145 Lusso 1.6 > 1979 Alfasud Sprint Veloce 1.5 > 1982 Alfasud Ti 1.5 (the list is growing too fast!)

Ads