Thieves breaking into the rear of the RAV4

Old July 3rd 10, 07:13 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.4x4,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.honda

Default Thieves breaking into the rear of the RAV4

Dear RAV4 owners,

I currently have a sedan with a trunk,
where the valuables are locked.
Bicycle (but it's really a tight fit).
Shoulder bag which is always with me.
Cameras. Laptop. Etc.

I'm thinking of getting a RAV4 for the bigger
towing capacity (6 x 12 trailer from UHaul),
and cargo area it has.

But you always see signs at garages, to take the
valuables out of your car. I'm thinking that if
I get a RAV4, I won't be able to leave any
valuables in the "trunk" anymore.

Years ago, a photographer friend of mine had a
station wagon, and parked all her camera gear in
the back. Theives broke in, and stole all the gear.
In broad daylight.

I spoke to a sales rep at a Toyota dealer last night.
He said that there is no privacy cover for
the RAV4, like there is with some hatchbacks.

Does anyone know of an aftermarket cover that is available?

On the other hand, just having a privacy cover
might invite thieves to break in, even if there was
nothing of value.

What are your experience with valuables in the rear
and your RAV4 getting broke into?

If I get a RAV4, do I give up the ability to leave
valuables in the car? I will be travelling to places
I have never been to before, and so I will not
know safe the areas will be.

Other thoughts: If I put the bicycle inside, they
can see that it's a bicycle. Same for a laptop,
or camera. Blankets.

What if I put the valuables in simple apple boxes, and
mark them "charity" or something?

I welcome your experiences and advise.

Key search words: steal, stole, stolen, vandals, vandalism

Old July 3rd 10, 07:30 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.4x4,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.honda
(PeteCresswell)

Per :
>I spoke to a sales rep at a Toyota dealer last night.
>He said that there is no privacy cover for
>the RAV4, like there is with some hatchbacks.
>
>Does anyone know of an aftermarket cover that is available?

You need one of these:
http://tinyurl.com/yesvz92

--
PeteCresswell
Old July 3rd 10, 07:37 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.4x4,alt.autos.toyota.trucks
JoeSpareBedroom[_2_]

http://tinyurl.com/yesvz92

> --
> PeteCresswell

That is seriously funny stuff. Did you check out the chaperone commercial?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7gw3...eature=related

Old July 3rd 10, 07:39 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.4x4,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.honda
Howard Lester[_2_]

"Gary L. Burnore" wrote

> So if you got a sedan and they broke out a window and popped the trunk
> from inside the car, you'd still lose it.

Not if the trunk release lever is locked.

Old July 3rd 10, 07:44 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.4x4,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 14:30:41 -0400, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

> Per :
>>I spoke to a sales rep at a Toyota dealer last night. He said that there
>>is no privacy cover for the RAV4, like there is with some hatchbacks.
>>
>>Does anyone know of an aftermarket cover that is available?

> You need one of these:
http://tinyurl.com/yesvz92

I'm going to guess without looking: I bet it's a Trunk Monkey!

The best car pretection package ever offered! As long as it poops outside...

Old July 3rd 10, 09:48 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.4x4,alt.autos.toyota.trucks
ron[_7_]

we own and use as wife's care a 09 RAV4 Limited - it does have a
screen/shield that mounts behind the rear seat - it, when extended, attaches
in slots that allow the rear area to be shielded from view.

I don't know if it was an option or not but the mounting brackets are molded
into the vehicles interior side panels. It is not secure, just a visual
shield. There is also an area under the rear cargo deck that is fair size
for smaller stuff but again not secure .

So I'd suggest the salesman is in error [pretty universal]

Old July 3rd 10, 09:53 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.4x4,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.honda
First of One

> wrote in message
> I spoke to a sales rep at a Toyota dealer last night.
> He said that there is no privacy cover for
> the RAV4, like there is with some hatchbacks.

Did you actually look inside a RAV4? According to the Toyota web site, the
tonneau cover is optional on base RAV4s, and *standard equipment* on the
higher trim levels, unless you get the third-row seat option.

There's also an under-floor storage bin for compact items:
http://www.toyota.com/img/vehicles/2...nt_image21.jpg

> On the other hand, just having a privacy cover
> might invite thieves to break in, even if there was
> nothing of value.

Most SUVs have heavily tinted windows nowadays. If the vehicle you buy
doesn't, you can always get them tinted. The tonneau cover is really
secondary.

Note: professional thieves will have their "work area" under watch. They
will notice you if you load valuables into the vehicle. Sometimes the
parking garage security guard is in on it as well. So there is a level of
risk regardless of whether you have a sedan or SUV.

Old July 3rd 10, 10:48 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.4x4,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.honda
Aratzio

On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 15:15:46 -0400, in the land of alt.autos.toyota,
Gary L. Burnore > got double secret probation
for writing:

>On Sat, 3 Jul 2010 14:39:56 -0400, "Howard Lester"
> wrote:
>
>>"Gary L. Burnore" wrote
>>
>>> So if you got a sedan and they broke out a window and popped the trunk
>>> from inside the car, you'd still lose it.

>>Not if the trunk release lever is locked.

>Didja ever look at the trunk release lock? Surrounded by plastic, a
>simple turn with a screwdriver breaks it. & how about those like my
>Lexus with the button in the glove compartment? Oh yeah, that'd be
>hard to bust. NOT.
>

>If someone wants your stuff. They're gonna get it.

Locks keep honest people honest

--

Hachiroku describing how he gets secret information from USENET posts:

> They also have an amazing propensity for proving me right.

More like proving you're an idiot that can't understand subliminals. Moron.
Old July 3rd 10, 11:29 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.4x4,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.honda
Lon

Aratzio wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 15:15:46 -0400, in the land of alt.autos.toyota,
> Gary L. Burnore > got double secret probation
> for writing:
>
>> On Sat, 3 Jul 2010 14:39:56 -0400, "Howard Lester"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> "Gary L. Burnore" wrote

>>> Not if the trunk release lever is locked.

>> Didja ever look at the trunk release lock? Surrounded by plastic, a
>> simple turn with a screwdriver breaks it. & how about those like my
>> Lexus with the button in the glove compartment? Oh yeah, that'd be
>> hard to bust. NOT.
>>

>> If someone wants your stuff. They're gonna get it.

> Locks keep honest people honest

So do Rugers.
Old July 4th 10, 12:05 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.4x4,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 18:42:44 -0400, Gary L. Burnore wrote:

> On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 16:29:51 -0600, Lon > wrote:
>
>>Aratzio wrote:
>>> On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 15:15:46 -0400, in the land of alt.autos.toyota,
>>> Gary L. Burnore > got double secret probation
>>> for writing:

>>> Locks keep honest people honest
>>>

>>So do Rugers.

> No, Rugers keep dishonest people honest when they're in close proximity.

That's OK. 100 yards or so is fine.