car stumbles going around corners but no MIL

Old March 29th 18, 07:09 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Bob J Jones

Default car stumbles going around corners but no MIL

For about a year now, the car stumbles when going around corners, where I
can't figure out what the stumbling is due to.

It didn't used to be so consistent but it's getting worse over time so now
it's finally noticeable that it's the turns and not something else that
makes it stumble for a split second.

What should I look for to see why an engine stumbles momentarily around
corners, but doesn't set the CEL or any pending OBD codes?
Old March 29th 18, 07:28 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Kevin Bottorff[_3_]

Bob J Jones > wrote in
news
> For about a year now, the car stumbles when going around corners,
> where I can't figure out what the stumbling is due to.
>
> It didn't used to be so consistent but it's getting worse over time so
> now it's finally noticeable that it's the turns and not something else
> that makes it stumble for a split second.
>
> What should I look for to see why an engine stumbles momentarily
> around corners, but doesn't set the CEL or any pending OBD codes?

does it do it differently depending on which direction you are turning? KB
Old March 29th 18, 07:32 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Bob J Jones > wrote:
>For about a year now, the car stumbles when going around corners, where I
>can't figure out what the stumbling is due to.
>
>It didn't used to be so consistent but it's getting worse over time so now
>it's finally noticeable that it's the turns and not something else that
>makes it stumble for a split second.
>
>What should I look for to see why an engine stumbles momentarily around
>corners, but doesn't set the CEL or any pending OBD codes?

If it's a Studebaker, check to see there's no junk at the bottom of the carb.
It fills up, and even a small sway to the side causes the fuel to slosh from
side to side and you get brief fuel starvation.
--scott
Old March 29th 18, 07:39 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Ed Pawlowski

On 3/29/2018 2:09 PM, Bob J Jones wrote:
> For about a year now, the car stumbles when going around corners, where I
> can't figure out what the stumbling is due to.
>
> It didn't used to be so consistent but it's getting worse over time so now
> it's finally noticeable that it's the turns and not something else that
> makes it stumble for a split second.
>
> What should I look for to see why an engine stumbles momentarily around
> corners, but doesn't set the CEL or any pending OBD codes?

If you have a carburetor and take a corner really hard the gas can slosh
to one side and cause a stumble. Airplanes had to have the right setup
in order to fly inverted.

Of course, I'm making wild assumptions since you gave no other details.
Old March 29th 18, 07:53 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Oren[_2_]

On Thu, 29 Mar 2018 18:09:18 +0000 (UTC), Bob J Jones
> wrote:

>For about a year now, the car stumbles when going around corners, where I
>can't figure out what the stumbling is due to.
>
>It didn't used to be so consistent but it's getting worse over time so now
>it's finally noticeable that it's the turns and not something else that
>makes it stumble for a split second.
>
>What should I look for to see why an engine stumbles momentarily around
>corners, but doesn't set the CEL or any pending OBD codes?

Could you please define what "stumbles" means. Does the engine stall,
does a wheel make a strange noise. Not enough factual details to even
make a guess.
Old March 29th 18, 08:48 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
AMuzi

On 3/29/2018 1:32 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Bob J Jones > wrote:
>> For about a year now, the car stumbles when going around corners, where I
>> can't figure out what the stumbling is due to.
>>
>> It didn't used to be so consistent but it's getting worse over time so now
>> it's finally noticeable that it's the turns and not something else that
>> makes it stumble for a split second.
>>
>> What should I look for to see why an engine stumbles momentarily around
>> corners, but doesn't set the CEL or any pending OBD codes?

> If it's a Studebaker, check to see there's no junk at the bottom of the carb.
> It fills up, and even a small sway to the side causes the fuel to slosh from
> side to side and you get brief fuel starvation.
> --scott

Same for Corvairs. The fix is to re mount the carbs 90
degrees off so they don't slosh/starve in turns:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...ast/4carbs.jpg

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Old March 29th 18, 11:14 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

In article >, AMuzi > wrote:
>On 3/29/2018 1:32 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>>
>> If it's a Studebaker, check to see there's no junk at the bottom of the carb.
>> It fills up, and even a small sway to the side causes the fuel to slosh from
>> side to side and you get brief fuel starvation.

>Same for Corvairs. The fix is to re mount the carbs 90
>degrees off so they don't slosh/starve in turns:
>http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...ast/4carbs.jpg

Yeah, that was an even worse design.

I've seen all kinds of weird things. Chrysler Laser (but for some reason not
the Dodge Daytona) used to break the right front engine mount all the time,
and when the engine shifted on acceleration into a left turn it closed down
the throttle as everything moved around.

Also seen really bizarre problems caused by missing engine ground straps.
Runs great when the engine's in one position, but shift it a quarter of an
inch and whatever it was grounding through isn't touching anymore.
--scott

Old April 12th 18, 05:20 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Scott Dorsey wrote: "If it's a Studebaker, check to see there's no junk at the
bottom of the carb.
It fills up, and even a small sway to the side causes the fuel to slosh from
side to side and you get brief fuel starvation. "

--scott
-- "

^Nailed it!!^

Who'd a thunk that for more than half of the
last century most of us drove around with
miniature versions of the standard gravity-
fed household TOILET BOWL beneath our
hoods? lolol

Thump in corners [email protected] BMW 2 May 22nd 06 01:53 PM
Thump in corners [email protected] BMW 2 May 20th 06 06:32 PM
41% of crashes occur on Corners Old Wolf Driving 8 December 23rd 05 08:36 AM
Problem with tight corners synch390 Honda 3 January 25th 05 09:05 PM