i have a 1991 miata that at times will not go into gear unless engine is off. I

Old August 18th 14, 02:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
camper6689

Default i have a 1991 miata that at times will not go into gear unless engine is off. I

I just stated motor with car in first and ran it for awhile, and it shifted
fine in all gears. I turned off engine, and cranked car again, and it shifts
fine. no idea what is going on. scared to drive it in case it wont shift at
a stop which has happened. I don't want to spend a lot to repair. any advice
would be welcome

--
posted from
http://www.motorsforum.com/mazda-mia...nle-25221-.htm

Old August 19th 14, 06:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Don Q[_3_]

On 2014-08-17 21:17:58 -0400, camper6689
> said:

> I just stated motor with car in first and ran it for awhile, and it shifted
> fine in all gears. I turned off engine, and cranked car again, and it shifts
> fine. no idea what is going on. scared to drive it in case it wont shift at
> a stop which has happened. I don't want to spend a lot to repair. any advice
> would be welcome

I DON'T HAVE A CLUE.

BUT...

Can you go into second or is this only into first?

Can you trun off engine, go into first, depress clutch, start the car, and go?

Are there any sensors that won't let you start the car if you are not
in neutral, if the clutch or brake pedal is not depressed, etc?

I would be inclined to think electrical/elecctronic...