Is this an alignment problem?

Old December 8th 04, 05:13 PM
E. Meyer

Default Is this an alignment problem?

On 11/11/04 9:47 PM, in article
, "Peter R"
> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My vehicle hit the curb pretty hard last week. It was towed to a
> garage and have the axle, CV boot and rim replaced and alignment done.
> Paid $$$$.
>
> When I got my vehicle, I noticed that when I hold my steering wheel
> straight, the vehicle tends to move to the right side slightly. In
> order to drive straight, I have to turn my steering wheel around 2
> degree to the left side.
>
> I bought the vehicle to the shop. They told me the alignment was
> perfectly done and it should not be an issue. They rotated the tires
> and check the pressure for me. But the vehicle still tends to move
> slightly to the right side.
>
> Is it an alignment problem or something else? What else can I do?
>
> Peter

If it pulls to the right when you let go of the wheel on a flat road, then
it is not correctly aligned. If you did not also replace the tire that
whacked the curb, there is a good chance it is no longer round either. If
it is the tire, moving it to the other side of the car should make it pull
slightly to the left.

It the only problem is that the steering wheel is not straight when the car
is going straight, then they did an incomplete alignment. They have to
apply the adjustments equally to both sides of the car to keep the steering
wheel straight.

I have encountered a number of alignment shops that will try to browbeat you
into going away rather than do the job correctly (which includes
straightening the steering wheel). One guy actually told me to "show him
how to do it if it was so easy", which I did. Make them finish the job then
don't ever go back there.

Alignment? Problem john smith Corvette 4 January 22nd 05 03:07 PM
rec.autos.makers.chrysler FAQ, Part 1/6 Dr. David Zatz Chrysler 10 December 2nd 04 06:19 AM
87 TBI Suburban bog / acceleration problem Michael Vosk 4x4 8 September 29th 04 04:55 AM
Ion intermittent ignition switch problem ELY Saturn 3 August 14th 04 03:18 AM