Happy 100th Birthday Alfa Romeo

Old June 28th 10, 11:05 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
SteveH[_2_]

Default Happy 100th Birthday Alfa Romeo

Jim > wrote:

> > I really don't see your point, given that English clubs have dominated
> > the latter stages of the European Cup in recent years.

> Ah but how many of the players in said English clubs are.....English??
> Not that many I fink!?

50% of players in the Premier League are British - ie. English / Welsh /
Scottish / N. Irish.
--
SteveH
Old June 28th 10, 04:38 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Jim[_32_]

On 28/06/2010 11:05, SteveH wrote:
> > wrote:
>
>>> I really don't see your point, given that English clubs have dominated
>>> the latter stages of the European Cup in recent years.

>> Ah but how many of the players in said English clubs are.....English??
>> Not that many I fink!?

> 50% of players in the Premier League are British - ie. English / Welsh /
> Scottish / N. Irish.

But then of course one needs to be English to play for England? So how
many are eligible? Most of the best players in the Premier League are
NOT English! That's why it's so good! We've just seen what our best
players can do!!! LOL
Old July 16th 10, 12:47 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
JLA

> JLA wrote:
> From AW
>
> *****
> It hasn't been sold in the United States for the better part of two

decades. Its last Grand Prix victory was in the early 1950s. The
reliability of some of its cars can be charitably defined as iffy.
But it has a history second to none.

> Today, Italian automaker Alfa Romeo celebrates its 100th

anniversary. The original red dream began on June 24, 1910, and
festivities to mark the occasion will stretch through the weekend in
Milano.

> So what is it about Alfa that conjures up such magic and memories?

Alfa is a microcosm of why enthusiasts like cars. It doesn't have to
be rational. It's fun and it's elusive, exciting and invigorating.
And it's simply about the automobile. Money and maintenance aren't
part of the discussion.

> Alfisti know most of this, but here's a short version of some

memorable moments in the history of the brand.

> The company was founded in 1910, and the first car to wear the

famous badge was the 24 HP. The name, originally A.L.F.A., stands for
Anonima Lombarda Fabbrica Automobili (which means Lombard Automobile
Factory, Public Company). A.L.F.A. was bought by Neapolitan engineer
and businessman Nicola Romeo in 1915, and the Alfa Romeo moniker was
born.

> The company truly found its legs in the 1920s and '30s, as the age

of the automobile grew rapidly around the world. The 8C 2300 from the
early '30s took the world by storm with its supercharged
eight-cylinder inline engine, and 8Cs remain a favorite at summer
concours.

> An Alfa won Targa Florio in 1923, helping to launch the long racing

lineage of Italian cars. The brand counts 10 victories at
Targa--second only to Porsche--and Alfa won the Mille Miglia a record
11 times. Overshadowed by the unparalleled racing history of a company
it helped begat--Ferrari--Alfa does, in fact, count two world
championships in Grand Prix racing. Despite withdrawing from Formula
One in the 1950s, its two titles equal Renault and Mercedes. Antonio
Ascari, the father of Ferrari champion Alberto Ascari, and Enzo
Ferrari drove for Alfa.

> Twice the company mobilized to support Italian efforts in world

wars and its factories were converted for wartime production. Alfa
plants were bombed during World War II.

> As Italy rebuilt, the company emerged for a golden age in the 1950s

and '60s with the Guiletta and then the Giulia. The marque was
cemented in pop culture when Dustin Hoffman famously drove a spider
in the 1967 classic The Graduate. Over the years, Alfa also
collaborated extensively with Milanese body maker Zagato and design
house Pininfarina, themselves both icons of Italian carmaking.

> Despite Hollywood magic, Alfa would ultimately struggle in the

United States, and it withdrew in 1995 amid declining sales and
reliability questions. The most memorable Alfas endure for their sexy
sheetmetal and driving dynamics, though the company was never a threat
to Detroit's Big Three.

> Fiat bought Alfa in 1986. Its recent history has been decidedly

less glamorous, but there have been highlights and signs of life. Car
fans did get a (high-priced) taste of Alfa again, when the 8C
Competizione made it to U.S. shores in coupe and spider forms. But it
was extremely limited; just 50 coupes and 35 open-tops arrived. The
MiTo was revealed in 2008, and just this winter, the new Giulietta
broke cover at the Geneva motor show, offering fans the tantalizing
potential for more.

> With this as a foundation, Alfa followers are left to ponder what

lies ahead.

> As the Fiat conglomerate now stewards Chrysler, Alfa is poised to

return to U.S. shores in the next few years, using the parent
company's resources as a touchstone. With its present more secure
than ever, perhaps Alfisti can look to the future with a
ray--illuminated in red--of hope.

> *****

From AB

Happy Birthdays: Chopard celebrates Alfa Romeo with special line of
timepieces

In a field of automotive-inspired wris****ches, one marque stands
above the rest as the connoisseur's choice: Chopard. From its ongoing
sponsorship and participation in the annual Mille Miglia revival rally
to exquisite timepieces like the LUC Engine One Tourbillon, Chopard's
made a name for itself among lovers of classic cars. And this year
they celebrate their 150th anniversary, conveniently in the same year
as Alfa Romeo marks their 100th.

To celebrate, Chopard has rolled out not just a single model, but a
whole line of timepieces honoring Alfa Romeo. The range includes the
Gran Turismo XL Alfa Romeo and the GT XL Chono Alfa Romeo (available
in either stainless steel of carbon-coated steel), both of which
feature COSC-certified in-house automatic movements, 46-hour power
reserve, anti-reflective sapphire crystal, 44mm cases and Chopard's
signature vintage Dunlop-inspired rubber straps. Only 500 of each of
the three variants will be offered, along with a table clock in
PVD-coated steel and a black leather, red-stitched case, and an
additional travel alarm clock.

*****

Alfa Romeo Anniversary Watch Collection by Chopard
GT XL Chrono Alfa Romeo
Gran Turismo XL Alfa Romeo

Chopard and Alfa Romeo have decided to join forces and to launch three
new classic sport watches. Indeed, 2010 is a very special year for
both companies as each brand is celebrating an exceptional
anniversary: 150 years for Chopard and 100 years for Alfa Romeo.
Since more than two decades Chopard is strongly involved in the World
of Classic Racing serving as sponsor and Official Timekeeper for the
Mille Miglia race, "la corsa piu bella del mondo", in which
Alfa Romeo cars reached the highest number of victories, in total
eleven.

The GT XL Chrono Alfa Romeo (stainless steel or black DLC-coated
steel) and the Gran Turismo XL Alfa Romeo feature black dial with red
hands and indexes as well as the logo of the two brands. Endowed with
46-hour power reserve, the self-winding movements are
chronometer-certified by the COSC and beat at 28'800 vibrations per
hour. The 44mm diameter cases are water-resistant up to 100 metres
and are protected by glare-proof sapphire crystals. The three
versions are issued in limited and numbered editions of 500.

GT XL Chrono Alfa Romeo

Case

Stainless steel
Total diameter 44.00 mm
Thickness 14.36 mm
Water resistantce 100 metres

Movement

Mechanical self-winding movement
Number of jewels 25
Power reserve approx. 46 hours
Frequency 28'800 vibrations per hour
Chronometer-certified (by the COSC)
Sapphire crystal see-through back case

Functions and displays

Chronograph equipped with 30-minute counter at 12 o'clock, 12-hour
counter at 6 o'clock and central second hand
Hours, minutes, small seconds
Tachometer scale from 240 to 55km/h engraved on the bezel
Date
Minute track graved on the dial

Strap

Natural black rubber

Limited and numbered edition of 500 in stainless steel and 500 in
black
DLC-coated steel.

Gran Turismo Alfa Romeo

Case

Stainless steel
Total diameter 44.00 mm
Thickness 14.36 mm
Water resistance 100 metres

Movement

Mechanical self-winding movement
Number of jewels 25
Power reserve approx. 46 hours
Frequency 28'800 vibrations per hour
Chronometer-certified (by the COSC)

Functions and displays

Hours, minutes, small seconds
Date
Minute track graved on the dial

Strap

Natural black rubber

Limited and numbered edition of 500

Table clock Alfa Romeo
PVD black steel case and black leather with red stitching, black dial
with index,
Function hour-minute-second

Travel alarm clock Alfa Romeo
Steel case, black dial with index, function hour-minute-alarm

View the attachments for this post at:
http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.p...53675#55753675

Happy Birthday, Frog dwight[_3_] Ford Mustang 33 September 21st 08 02:25 AM
Happy Birthday Jan VW air cooled 4 July 5th 07 08:19 PM
Happy Birthday YJ Steve Foley[_2_] Jeep 0 August 19th 06 06:55 PM
Happy Birthday G-Wagen Willem-Jan Markerink 4x4 0 February 11th 04 11:44 PM