Tire Pressure

Old May 2nd 05, 04:53 PM
Lynn Martin

Default Tire Pressure

I just got some new Kuhmo Tires, 165/80/15, (great deals for $26 a piece on
the net!) for my 1974 Superbeetle.

Anyhow, I am going to get them mounted/etc. The "recommended tire
pressure" listed on the glove compartment door says Front - 18 psi and Rear
29 psi. This seems too low to me, especially in the front tires.

Just wondering what pressures everyone else is running in a stock size tire?

Lynn
1974 Super

Old May 2nd 05, 06:00 PM
Hal

> I just got some new Kuhmo Tires, 165/80/15, (great deals for $26 a
piece on
> the net!) for my 1974 Superbeetle.
>
> Anyhow, I am going to get them mounted/etc. The "recommended tire
> pressure" listed on the glove compartment door says Front - 18 psi

and Rear
> 29 psi. This seems too low to me, especially in the front tires.
>
> Just wondering what pressures everyone else is running in a stock

size tire?

On my 74 super I usually run 35psi all around. I probably have the
fronts a little over-inflated, but I have never noted any abnormal wear
so I just leave it at 35.

I think(I could be mistaken) that the pressures listed on the glovebox
door are for bias-ply tires. All I've ever run is radial tires.

Chris

Old May 2nd 05, 06:09 PM
Jim O'Malley \(KCIT/KCPN\)

Nope, follow the recommended pressures -- and don't trust the tire boys to
remember!

Most Detroit iron has a fairly even weight distribution pattern, squaring
the car's weight between the front and rear. Beetles only have a third of
the curb weight riding on the front tires. Overinflating the fronts has the
effect of changing your 165/15s into 95/16s -- not enough weight to maintain
full footprint contact with the road.

This concept will be painfully obvious if you live anywhere with wind. You
think Chicago is the windy city? Try Amarillo TX. Last time I put new tires
on my '74 Super, I specifically asked them to inflate to 18psi/29psi. They
didn't, putting in 32psi all the way 'round. I hit the freeway and grabbed
the next exit as a relatively calm15mph crosswind made the car undriveable.

Jim O'Malley / http://vwfilms.net/

Old May 3rd 05, 12:03 AM
Dan Smith

"Lynn Martin" > wrote in message
> I just got some new Kuhmo Tires, 165/80/15, (great deals for $26 a piece

on
> the net!) for my 1974 Superbeetle.
>
> Anyhow, I am going to get them mounted/etc. The "recommended tire
> pressure" listed on the glove compartment door says Front - 18 psi and

Rear
> 29 psi. This seems too low to me, especially in the front tires.
>
> Just wondering what pressures everyone else is running in a stock size

tire?

> Lynn
> 1974 Super

Follow your Owner's Manual to the letter!

I've read too many warnings about how you should never inflate your tires to
a higher pressure than what VW says, ESPECIALLY THE FRONT TIRES!!! It's
DANGEROUS!!! You've been WARNED...TWICE.

Old May 3rd 05, 12:09 AM
Glenn

where on the web did find the tires?

Old May 3rd 05, 12:28 AM
Dan Smith

"Hal" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> > I just got some new Kuhmo Tires, 165/80/15, (great deals for $26 a

> piece on
> > the net!) for my 1974 Superbeetle.
> >
> > Anyhow, I am going to get them mounted/etc. The "recommended tire
> > pressure" listed on the glove compartment door says Front - 18 psi

> and Rear
> > 29 psi. This seems too low to me, especially in the front tires.
> >
> > Just wondering what pressures everyone else is running in a stock

> size tire?
>
> On my 74 super I usually run 35psi all around. I probably have the
> fronts a little over-inflated, but I have never noted any abnormal wear
> so I just leave it at 35.
>
> I think(I could be mistaken) that the pressures listed on the glovebox
> door are for bias-ply tires. All I've ever run is radial tires.
>
> Chris

GEEEEZ!!! You're running at 35psi all the way around??? Are you
suicidal???

You're tires are probably rated at a maximum of 35psi. That's fine if
you're just going to leave it parked in the garage or in the shade.

You put yourself in the car and the pressure goes up. You drive for more
than a couple of minutes and the pressure goes up more. You're probably
driving around with close to 38psi in tires rated at 35psi.

Where in the world did you get the idea that this was an OK thing to do???
Why are you intentionally ignoring the safety ratings of your tires and the
car manufacturers recommendations???

Old May 3rd 05, 02:04 AM
Shag

On Mon, 02 May 2005 23:28:07 GMT, "Dan Smith" >
wrote:

>GEEEEZ!!! You're running at 35psi all the way around??? Are you
>suicidal???
>
>You're tires are probably rated at a maximum of 35psi. That's fine if
>you're just going to leave it parked in the garage or in the shade.
>
>You put yourself in the car and the pressure goes up. You drive for more
>than a couple of minutes and the pressure goes up more. You're probably
>driving around with close to 38psi in tires rated at 35psi.
>
>Where in the world did you get the idea that this was an OK thing to do???
>Why are you intentionally ignoring the safety ratings of your tires and the
>car manufacturers recommendations???

Calm down, dude!!! Next step is for your post to be in ALL CAPS!!!
When you use multiple !!!!!!!s and ?????s you come off as frantic
and/or annoying!!! NOW EXCUSE ME WHILE I GO PUMP MY TIRES UP TO 40
PSI ALL AROUND!!!
ps- You misspelled "your."
Think about it... "you're" = "you are"
"You are tires are probably rated at....."
Question: Does that make sense?
Answer: No.

"Stupid people are funny." - me
Old May 3rd 05, 02:24 AM
Lynn Martin

> where on the web did find the tires?

He

http://www.tirerack.com/

Kumho Power Star 758

for your 1974 Volkswagen Beetle Load Rating: SL

Size: 165/80TR15 Blackwall

TR Speed Rated Price: $26

Estimated Availability: In Stock

Kumho usually makes excellent racing tires, and I have heard good reviews of
them.

Lynn
1974 Superbeetle

Old May 3rd 05, 02:33 AM
Lynn Martin

> Follow your Owner's Manual to the letter!
>
> I've read too many warnings about how you should never inflate your tires
> a higher pressure than what VW says, ESPECIALLY THE FRONT TIRES!!! It's
> DANGEROUS!!! You've been WARNED...TWICE.

Ok, Ok! I get it! :-)

I got them back from the auto place, and of course, they all had 32 psi in
them. I deflated the fronts to 18, and the backs to 29.

Lynn
1974 Superbeetle

Old May 3rd 05, 02:41 AM
Mike64Bug

The 18/29 psi applies to the original equipment bias ply tires only.(which you
don't have anymore) Radial tires have always required more air pressure
than the same size bias ply tire. 18 psi in a radial tire would be dangerously
low. Radial tires are not supposed to have a bulge in the sidewall when you
look at them from the front or back like a lot of people seem to think.
On the other hand max pressure(35psi) for a radial tire that size would be a
bit too much unless you were carrying a ton of extra weight. You'll probably
find that mid twenties in the front works well.