upper (strut) spring seat moves when steering

Old September 3rd 07, 07:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.dodge
bba

Default upper (strut) spring seat moves when steering

2001 Chrysler Town & Country

vibration and noise near struts whenever turning steering wheel
happens while stationary or moving
watched underneath while someone else turned wheel
noticed upper spring seat moved whenever wheel was turned
seat rubbed on part of body above it, causing noise and vibration

I am not sure exactly how the spring and upper spring seat should be
attached and fit together. Should the seat move at all? If not, what
must be done to ensure that it does not move? If so, what is the best
way to stop the rubbing, vibration, and noise?

I had the struts done at a shop several months ago, but this is the
first time I've had this noise and vibration.

Thanks for your help.

BBA
Old September 4th 07, 05:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.dodge

On Sep 3, 12:55 pm, bba > wrote:
> 2001 Chrysler Town & Country
>
> vibration and noise near struts whenever turning steering wheel
> happens while stationary or moving
> watched underneath while someone else turned wheel
> noticed upper spring seat moved whenever wheel was turned
> seat rubbed on part of body above it, causing noise and vibration
>
> I am not sure exactly how the spring and upper spring seat should be
> attached and fit together. Should the seat move at all? If not, what
> must be done to ensure that it does not move? If so, what is the best
> way to stop the rubbing, vibration, and noise?
>
> I had the struts done at a shop several months ago, but this is the
> first time I've had this noise and vibration.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> BBA

I would suggest starting by ensuring that the three mounting bolts on
the top are tight. If they are, it could be that the strut has
separated from the mounting tower. In that case, the strut will need
replacment. If you have a FSM, and the right tools, you could take it
apart yourself. If not, I would suggest taking it to a reputable shop
that does strut replacement.

-KM

upper (strut) spring seat moves when steering bba Chrysler 1 September 4th 07 05:10 PM
Z3 1998 seat moves Randy BMW 4 August 10th 06 02:37 PM
Are strut spring spacers any good? Al Kondo Technology 4 August 14th 05 06:05 PM
there, it burns a exit too upper inside her solid spring Lydia General 0 January 15th 05 12:28 PM
Upper strut mounts all the same? Frank Saturn 0 June 18th 04 01:40 PM