302 crate engines

Old September 10th 06, 11:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Johnny[_1_]

Default 302 crate engines

Have a 90 mustang and the 302 is getting tired...are the Ford crate engines
any good...advertise 340 ponies or so...or go with a more beefy engine from
the after market. Just for street duty...but...

Old September 11th 06, 02:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
.boB[_1_]

Johnny wrote:

> Have a 90 mustang and the 302 is getting tired...are the Ford crate
> engines any good...advertise 340 ponies or so...or go with a more beefy
> engine from the after market. Just for street duty...but...

They're pretty stout, and should last longer than the rest of the car. They are
just about the best bang for the buck going.

--
..boB
Arrived: 2006 FXDI, Red.

Old September 11th 06, 04:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Howard Nelson

"ZombyWoof" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 18:26:08 -0400, "Johnny" > wrote
> something wonderfully witty:
>
> >Have a 90 mustang and the 302 is getting tired...are the Ford crate

engines
> >any good...advertise 340 ponies or so...or go with a more beefy engine

from
> >the after market. Just for street duty...but...
> >

> The crate engines are great and probably the best bang for the buck.
> --
>
> You can run, but you'll only die tired.
>
> ZombyWoof

This really is a serious question. How does an engine become "tired". If
compression is OK and air/fuel/ignition parameters are nominal shouldn't it
put out about the same power as a "new" 302?

Howard
89 5.0

Old September 12th 06, 02:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Carl[_1_]

Johnny wrote:
> Have a 90 mustang and the 302 is getting tired...are the Ford crate
> engines any good...advertise 340 ponies or so...or go with a more beefy
> engine from the after market. Just for street duty...but...

are you interested at all or comfortable with doing the rebuild
yourself? freshening up a tired engine at best could be inexpensive
assuming the crank, block and cylinder bores are serviceable and not in
need of major machine work.
tear down the block and see where it's at before you make a decision.
Old September 12th 06, 08:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
My Names Nobody

"freshening up" are you talking about rebuilding the engine? That term
"freshening up" grates like fingernails on a chalk board.

It kinda denotes a less than professional, or sub-standard attempt at
rebuilding an engine, without the required machine work or new parts....
generally also entails everything under the hood having a new matching coat
of rattle can paint.

Old September 12th 06, 03:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
walt peifer

"Howard Nelson" > wrote in message

> "ZombyWoof" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 18:26:08 -0400, "Johnny" > wrote
>> something wonderfully witty:
>>
>> >Have a 90 mustang and the 302 is getting tired...are the Ford crate

> engines
>> >any good...advertise 340 ponies or so...or go with a more beefy engine

> from
>> >the after market. Just for street duty...but...
>> >

>> The crate engines are great and probably the best bang for the buck.
>> --
>>
>> You can run, but you'll only die tired.
>>
>> ZombyWoof

> This really is a serious question. How does an engine become "tired". If
> compression is OK and air/fuel/ignition parameters are nominal shouldn't
> it
> put out about the same power as a "new" 302?
>
> Howard
> 89 5.0

the care taken at a good rebuilder, along with the fact that most upgrade
stock components with better than factory stuff, even when rebuilding to
"stock" specs, allows the rebuilt engine to develop horsepower closer to the
"theoretical" factory numbers. 5.0 parts and performance have come a long
long way since the 1990 car in question, then if you "spec" the motor with
different cam, rocker ratios, and so forth it is possible to build a very
streetable reliable motor in the 325HP to 400 hp range, for very close to
the cost of a "stock" rebuild.
even local supplier like pep boys and advance auto can order motors that are
warmer than stock. Here in south west FL, AER rebuilders, Fred Jones, and
Jasper have good reputations as far as reliability and power.

Old September 13th 06, 12:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Carl[_1_]

My Names Nobody wrote:
> "freshening up" are you talking about rebuilding the engine? That term
> "freshening up" grates like fingernails on a chalk board.
>
> It kinda denotes a less than professional, or sub-standard attempt at
> rebuilding an engine, without the required machine work or new parts....
> generally also entails everything under the hood having a new matching coat
> of rattle can paint.
>

> "Carl" > wrote in message
>> Johnny wrote:
>>> Have a 90 mustang and the 302 is getting tired...are the Ford crate
>>> engines any good...advertise 340 ponies or so...or go with a more beefy
>>> engine from the after market. Just for street duty...but...

>> are you interested at all or comfortable with doing the rebuild yourself?
>> freshening up a tired engine at best could be inexpensive assuming the
>> crank, block and cylinder bores are serviceable and not in need of major
>> machine work.
>> tear down the block and see where it's at before you make a decision.

i'm thinking you dont have a clue and are looking for an arguement.
Old September 13th 06, 09:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
My Names Nobody

"Carl" > wrote in message
.. .
> My Names Nobody wrote:
>> "freshening up" are you talking about rebuilding the engine? That term
>> "freshening up" grates like fingernails on a chalk board.
>>
>> It kinda denotes a less than professional, or sub-standard attempt at
>> rebuilding an engine, without the required machine work or new parts....
>> generally also entails everything under the hood having a new matching
>> coat of rattle can paint.

>>> are you interested at all or comfortable with doing the rebuild
>>> yourself? freshening up a tired engine at best could be inexpensive
>>> assuming the crank, block and cylinder bores are serviceable and not in
>>> need of major machine work.
>>> tear down the block and see where it's at before you make a decision.

> i'm thinking you dont have a clue and are looking for an arguement.

Oh, I have a clue, and plenty of years REBUILDING engines correctly. The
term "freshening up" when used in conjunction with an internal combustion
engine is half-assed and inappropriate.

Old September 14th 06, 01:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Carl[_1_]

My Names Nobody wrote:
> "Carl" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> My Names Nobody wrote:
>>> "freshening up" are you talking about rebuilding the engine? That term
>>> "freshening up" grates like fingernails on a chalk board.
>>>
>>> It kinda denotes a less than professional, or sub-standard attempt at
>>> rebuilding an engine, without the required machine work or new parts....
>>> generally also entails everything under the hood having a new matching
>>> coat of rattle can paint.

>> i'm thinking you dont have a clue and are looking for an arguement.

> Oh, I have a clue, and plenty of years REBUILDING engines correctly. The
> term "freshening up" when used in conjunction with an internal combustion
> engine is half-assed and inappropriate.

i stand by my statement. you find all kinds in (nutjobs) the newsgroups
Old September 14th 06, 04:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Hairy

"My Names Nobody" > wrote in message

> "Carl" > wrote in message
> .. .
> > My Names Nobody wrote:
> >> "freshening up" are you talking about rebuilding the engine? That

term
> >> "freshening up" grates like fingernails on a chalk board.
> >>
> >> It kinda denotes a less than professional, or sub-standard attempt at
> >> rebuilding an engine, without the required machine work or new

parts....
> >> generally also entails everything under the hood having a new matching
> >> coat of rattle can paint.

beefy

in

> > i'm thinking you dont have a clue and are looking for an arguement.

> Oh, I have a clue, and plenty of years REBUILDING engines correctly. The
> term "freshening up" when used in conjunction with an internal combustion
> engine is half-assed and inappropriate.

I wonder what brand of douche he uses to "freshen up" his engines. ;-)