PT Cruiser key question

Old October 25th 09, 08:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve Stone[_3_]

Default PT Cruiser key question

Are the keys used for 2006-2009 PT Cruisers all cut the same?
Was wondering if I could reprogram a spare key already programmed for a
2006 for a 2009 model.
Old October 26th 09, 01:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
bllsht[_2_]

All keys are not cut the same. Wouldn't make much sense.

Once programmed for one vehicle, a key cannot be programmed for
another.

Old October 26th 09, 05:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

wrote:

>Are the keys used for 2006-2009 PT Cruisers all cut the same?
>Was wondering if I could reprogram a spare key already programmed for a
>2006 for a 2009 model.

I think it's the same blank and transponder for them. I don't see why
you could not reuse it as a transponder. But the teeth are not likely
going to match your new car if that's what you mean by "cut the same".
Old October 26th 09, 12:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve Stone[_3_]

Ashton Crusher wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 16:49:54 -0400, Steve Stone >
> wrote:

> I think it's the same blank and transponder for them. I don't see why
> you could not reuse it as a transponder. But the teeth are not likely
> going to match your new car if that's what you mean by "cut the same".

I see there are eBay vendors selling blanks where you supply the
transponder.
Why can't the transponder be recoded?
Only excuse I can see for that is a need for dealers to suck another
$200 from my wallet.
There sure isn't much inside. a single surface mount IC, a coil/antenna,
and a button battery.
Old October 26th 09, 02:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Pete E. Kruzer[_2_]

Is the battery replaceable? How long will the Sentry Key work? My 2001
Cruiser uses one.
When I first got it, I went to Sears and had four keys made, for the
wife and daughters and
a spare for the wallet when I locked the keys in the car.
Then when I found out they wouldn't start the car, I threw them out.
After they were in a landfill
I realized that they would open the door and hatch so the one in the
wallet would have sufficed.
Old October 26th 09, 05:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve[_1_]

Pete E. Kruzer wrote:
> Is the battery replaceable? How long will the Sentry Key work? My 2001
> Cruiser uses one.

What battery? The key transponder is either powered by the interrogation
signal from the car, or is just a passive resonant circuit. No battery.
Similar to modern toll road tags, parking garage access tags, RFID price
tags, etc. etc.

Old October 26th 09, 11:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
wwilson

The responder has two batteries in series. I have replaced mine for a
2001 PT. They cost about $4 apiece at my local battery source.

Old October 27th 09, 02:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Wesley

Is the transponder (key) programmed for the vehicle, or is the vehicle
programmed to recognize the transponder? It would seem to me that the car
would be more easily reprogrammed than the "key"... Not that the system
designers would necessarily think the same way I do of course...!

Wesley

Old October 27th 09, 03:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

TO the best of my knowledge the key transponder is just a transponder
and isn't "programmed", all the programming is done on the car's
computer. Typically they can accept up to 8 transponder codes.

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 22:00:10 -0400, "Wesley" > wrote:

>Is the transponder (key) programmed for the vehicle, or is the vehicle
>programmed to recognize the transponder? It would seem to me that the car
>would be more easily reprogrammed than the "key"... Not that the system
>designers would necessarily think the same way I do of course...!
>
>Wesley

.. .

Old October 27th 09, 03:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 12:07:14 -0500, Steve > wrote:

>Pete E. Kruzer wrote:
>> Is the battery replaceable? How long will the Sentry Key work? My 2001
>> Cruiser uses one.

>What battery? The key transponder is either powered by the interrogation
>signal from the car, or is just a passive resonant circuit. No battery.
>Similar to modern toll road tags, parking garage access tags, RFID price
>tags, etc. etc.

The current keys include both the transponder, which needs no battery,
and the remote buttons for the keyless entry, and that does need the
batteries. If you buy the simple transponder keys there is no battery
and it's smaller.