belt noise & destruction

Old February 27th 07, 01:57 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Ron Seiden

Default belt noise & destruction

My son's 1998 Plymouth Voyager (same as Dodge Caravan) -- with over 100K
mostly-highway miles -- makes a screeching slipping belt noise whenever the
A/C or defroster are activated. It's definitely engine related, as the noise
changes with engine speed regardless of road speed, and the serpentine belt
dies much faster than it should. The belt has been changed a couple of times
already and dealer mechanics say they can see no reason for the problem.

Any ideas on what is causing the problem and how to fix it? (My only thought
is that the belt tensioner has lost its tensioning ability...) Thanks.

Old February 27th 07, 05:45 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
clare at snyder.on.ca

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 13:57:04 GMT, "Ron Seiden"
> wrote:

>My son's 1998 Plymouth Voyager (same as Dodge Caravan) -- with over 100K
>mostly-highway miles -- makes a screeching slipping belt noise whenever the
>A/C or defroster are activated. It's definitely engine related, as the noise
>changes with engine speed regardless of road speed, and the serpentine belt
>dies much faster than it should. The belt has been changed a couple of times
>already and dealer mechanics say they can see no reason for the problem.
>
>Any ideas on what is causing the problem and how to fix it? (My only thought
>is that the belt tensioner has lost its tensioning ability...) Thanks.

I'd say you likely hit the nail on the head. Find a REAL mechanic (who
has a belt tension guage)

Old March 2nd 07, 07:23 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge

check the comressor. I believe it is faulty aC compressoer. Take the
belt out and try to compressor manually, I mean inner part. or when it
is making sound check if the central part of compressor rotates.

Old March 3rd 07, 12:22 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
craig34

I agree that it might be the compressor since you did say in another
message that your lights on your dash were blinking (its a calibration
test and the lights will go off after 20 minutes)

is this noise my timing belt? [email protected] Honda 4 August 15th 06 02:42 AM
Explorer Belt Noise [email protected] Ford Explorer 2 May 3rd 06 06:23 PM
Serpenting Belt Noise Steve Horrillo Corvette 12 December 26th 05 04:27 AM
93 Saturn SL2 belt noise yk Saturn 7 July 27th 05 03:04 AM
Clutch noise and belt Pat Mazda 3 April 6th 05 02:48 AM