Off Topic Request

Old April 22nd 10, 04:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Billy Ray

Default Off Topic Request

Is there a similar procedure to the Jeep 'key trick' to extract the
codes from a 2003 Pontiac Vibe?
Old April 22nd 10, 07:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

Billy Ray wrote:
> Is there a similar procedure to the Jeep 'key trick' to extract the
> codes from a 2003 Pontiac Vibe?

dunno. Google isn't helping me find an answer either.

For a 2003 I'd invest in a decent scantool. They aren't that expensive
and they can give you a lot more information than simple blinkylights.

I believe PepBoys and AutoZone scan codes for free.

--
DougW

Old April 23rd 10, 01:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Kate[_8_]

"DougW" > wrote .

I believe PepBoys and AutoZone scan codes for free.

--
DougW

---

Yeppers, they shore do!
K.

Old April 23rd 10, 08:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Billy Ray

On Apr 22, 8:05*pm, "Kate" > wrote:
> "DougW" > wrote .
>
> I believe PepBoys and AutoZone scan codes for free.
>
> --
> DougW
>
> ---
>
> Yeppers, they shore do!
> *K.

She took ot to the dealership. $88 to read the codes, they want an
additional $300 for oxygen sensors, and $765 for a catalytic
converter.

On another note, why does your mower need new rings already? You
haven't been letting the red headed kar killer near it have you?
Old April 23rd 10, 09:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

Billy Ray wrote:
> On Apr 22, 8:05 pm, "Kate" > wrote:
>> "DougW" > wrote .
>>
>> I believe PepBoys and AutoZone scan codes for free.
>>
>> --
>> DougW
>>
>> ---
>>
>> Yeppers, they shore do!
>> K.

> She took ot to the dealership. $88 to read the codes, they want an
> additional $300 for oxygen sensors, and $765 for a catalytic
> converter.

First thought is RUN AWAY! The real question is why she is having
problems with both sensors and the cat. Highly unlikely. It's more
likely spark/mix or the first sensor (primary) that sets the mix.
The downstream only detects if the cat is working properly.

If the downstream is yelling then it could be the cat or it could
be just the upstream is making the mix too rich and the cat is not
able to handle it. Thus tipping the downstream.

For 88$ you could have bought a decent low-end scantool and still
had change left for dinner or put another $10 on it and got a good
mid-range one that can make settings changes.

A decent local mechanic can put a new cat in for about $150 and the
O2 sensors run (YIKES!) that's more pricy than mine. Upstream is
139 and downstream is 139 for OEM. Odd lookign sensor too, I'd go to
a reputable local mechanic.

I'm not sure how hard it is to put those in but in the ZJ it's just
bolted into the exhaust pipe and takes a few minutes of time.

At any rate, first make sure that the emissions system isn't still
covered by warranty. In some states it's 80,000 miles for the CAT.

--
DougW

Old April 24th 10, 12:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Kate[_8_]

Silly boy... should have taken it to Vato Zone for a free diagnosis.

On the mower, the car killer is in Oregon now. No chance she could have done
it.
Looks like dirt got in the rings, I dunno. Poor design on the air intake and
filtering system to be sure.
OBM it the person in charge of mowing. Nawt my yob man!

Old April 24th 10, 12:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Kate[_8_]

"DougW" > wrote

At any rate, first make sure that the emissions system isn't still
covered by warranty. In some states it's 80,000 miles for the CAT.

--
DougW

Yea! Good advice!
They replaced my cats last summer on the federal emissions warranty.
They say it's 75k miles.

K.

Old April 24th 10, 01:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
PeterD

On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 15:53:29 -0500, "DougW"
> wrote:

>Billy Ray wrote:
>> On Apr 22, 8:05 pm, "Kate" > wrote:
>>> "DougW" > wrote .
>>>
>>> I believe PepBoys and AutoZone scan codes for free.
>>>
>>> --
>>> DougW
>>>
>>> ---
>>>
>>> Yeppers, they shore do!
>>> K.

>> She took ot to the dealership. $88 to read the codes, they want an
>> additional $300 for oxygen sensors, and $765 for a catalytic
>> converter.

>First thought is RUN AWAY! The real question is why she is having
>problems with both sensors and the cat. Highly unlikely. It's more
>likely spark/mix or the first sensor (primary) that sets the mix.
>The downstream only detects if the cat is working properly.

Now, my first thought is that the first O2 sensor is bad, since both
are (usually, not sure on this car) the same basic sensor, I'd pop for
one sensor (the one with the longer wire, so it will fit both places)
and replace it first. Then clear codes (with the scan tool you'll also
buy) and watch codes and see what pops up next.

It is definately possible that both sensors are bad (contamiation for
example) but that's down the road.
Old April 24th 10, 11:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Billy Ray

On Apr 23, 4:53*pm, "DougW" >
wrote:
> Billy Ray wrote:
> > On Apr 22, 8:05 pm, "Kate" > wrote:
> >> "DougW" > wrote .

> >> I believe PepBoys and AutoZone scan codes for free.

> >> --
> >> DougW

> >> ---

> >> Yeppers, they shore do!
> >> K.

> > She took ot to the dealership. $88 to read the codes, they want an
> > additional $300 for oxygen sensors, and $765 for a catalytic
> > converter.

> First thought is RUN AWAY! *The real question is why she is having
> problems with both sensors and the cat. *Highly unlikely. *It's more
> likely spark/mix or the first sensor (primary) that sets the mix.
> The downstream only detects if the cat is working properly.
>
> If the downstream is yelling then it could be the cat or it could
> be just the upstream is making the mix too rich and the cat is not
> able to handle it. *Thus tipping the downstream.
>
> For 88$ you could have bought a decent low-end scantool and still
> had change left for dinner or put another $10 on it and got a good
> mid-range one that can make settings changes.
>
> A decent local mechanic can put a new cat in for about $150 and the
> O2 sensors run (YIKES!) that's more pricy than mine. *Upstream is
> 139 and downstream is 139 for OEM. *Odd lookign sensor too, I'd go to
> a reputable local mechanic.
>
> I'm not sure how hard it is to put those in but in the ZJ it's just
> bolted into the exhaust pipe and takes a few minutes of time.
>
> At any rate, first make sure that the emissions system isn't still
> covered by warranty. In some states it's 80,000 miles for the CAT.
>
> --
> DougW- Hide quoted text -

This is all I know, she sent me a message on Facebook.

"I took my Vibe up to the dealer yesterday...the code was P0420
(Catalytic Converter Low Efficiency). And that cost was $88.00! They
want another $765.00 + Tax to put the converter on. I have been
calling around getting prices. And there are 2 oxygen sensors
also...they are very expensive $304.00 (Firestones price). So far I
have Midas battling for my business and my buddies that own Mt Healthy
Auto going to call me with a price. I used to go there all the time
when I lived closer. My folks went there. What is nice now they have
free loaners! That's surprised me. So I'm waiting to hear from them.
One more thing about firestone is I have a credit card with them and
now they changed it to six months free of interest to pay it off, use
to be last year 3 months. I like that and can handle that easier. It's
only money!!!! And I getting less of it! Tires last fall, Callies 2
operations, a new pool liner"

Old April 25th 10, 10:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
bllsht[_2_]

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 15:07:29 -0700 (PDT), Billy Ray
> wrote:

>On Apr 23, 4:53*pm, "DougW" >
>wrote:
>> Billy Ray wrote:

>> > She took ot to the dealership. $88 to read the codes, they want an
>> > additional $300 for oxygen sensors, and $765 for a catalytic
>> > converter.

>> First thought is RUN AWAY! *The real question is why she is having
>> problems with both sensors and the cat. *Highly unlikely. *It's more
>> likely spark/mix or the first sensor (primary) that sets the mix.
>> The downstream only detects if the cat is working properly.
>>
>> If the downstream is yelling then it could be the cat or it could
>> be just the upstream is making the mix too rich and the cat is not
>> able to handle it. *Thus tipping the downstream.
>>
>> For 88$ you could have bought a decent low-end scantool and still
>> had change left for dinner or put another $10 on it and got a good
>> mid-range one that can make settings changes.
>>
>> A decent local mechanic can put a new cat in for about $150 and the
>> O2 sensors run (YIKES!) that's more pricy than mine. *Upstream is
>> 139 and downstream is 139 for OEM. *Odd lookign sensor too, I'd go to
>> a reputable local mechanic.
>>
>> I'm not sure how hard it is to put those in but in the ZJ it's just
>> bolted into the exhaust pipe and takes a few minutes of time.
>>
>> At any rate, first make sure that the emissions system isn't still
>> covered by warranty. In some states it's 80,000 miles for the CAT.
>>
>> --
>> DougW- Hide quoted text -

>This is all I know, she sent me a message on Facebook.
>
>"I took my Vibe up to the dealer yesterday...the code was P0420
>(Catalytic Converter Low Efficiency). And that cost was $88.00! They
>want another $765.00 + Tax to put the converter on. I have been
>calling around getting prices. And there are 2 oxygen sensors
>also...they are very expensive $304.00 (Firestones price). So far I
>have Midas battling for my business and my buddies that own Mt Healthy
>Auto going to call me with a price. I used to go there all the time
>when I lived closer. My folks went there. What is nice now they have
>free loaners! That's surprised me. So I'm waiting to hear from them.
>One more thing about firestone is I have a credit card with them and
>now they changed it to six months free of interest to pay it off, use
>to be last year 3 months. I like that and can handle that easier. It's
>only money!!!! And I getting less of it! Tires last fall, Callies 2
>operations, a new pool liner"

There is absolutely no reason to replace O2 sensors just because it
has the P0420 code. On the other hand, if they found an O2 causing
the problem, they have no business replacing the cat converter. Sounds
like they're just trying to shotgun it to cover all the bases.

It would be very rare, and I have never seen an O2 sensor cause this
fault, but a new downstream sensor in addition to an aging(slowing)
upstream sensor *could* cause it. Generally the engine controller
would give you a fault for a slow responding upstream sensor long
before this happened.

I have seen exhaust leaks cause this, and once found a downstream O2
sensor signal wire that was chafing against the lip of the trans pan
that would mimic a downstream sensor switching faster than it should.

Somebody needs to diagnose it rather than pulling codes & throwing
parts at it.

A little off topic. [email protected] Technology 0 February 24th 10 06:53 PM
on topic David Gravereaux VW air cooled 1 January 15th 09 08:14 PM
Off Topic L.W.(ßill) Hughes III Jeep 25 December 8th 05 07:50 PM
OFF TOPIC videos to share OFF TOPIC Nathan W. Collier Jeep 4 May 22nd 05 01:08 AM
CRV ? 1/2 on topic 1/2 off topic JC Honda 1 February 9th 05 01:40 AM