LeBaron GTS Rear Hatch Water Leak

Old February 9th 06, 08:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Default LeBaron GTS Rear Hatch Water Leak

I'm getting water in the trunk of my 1987 LeBaron GTS. I'm pretty
sure it's coming in from the top or hatch instead of underneath the
car, because an inch or so of water will collect in the spare wheel
well after a good heavy rain without the car being driven. This body
style isn't the normal LeBaron, its the AH body, like the Lancer. If
it matters, it has a power sunroof, and I'm not sure where the drain
tubes from the sunroof go, and they could be the culprits, but I think
it's getting in around the hatch or somewhere back there, as that's
the only part that gets wet. the weather seal appears to be in good
shape.

If anyone has experience in fixing this, I welcome their input

Old February 9th 06, 08:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

heffron wrote:
> I'm getting water in the trunk of my 1987 LeBaron GTS. I'm pretty
> sure it's coming in from the top or hatch instead of underneath the
> car, because an inch or so of water will collect in the spare wheel
> well after a good heavy rain without the car being driven. This body
> style isn't the normal LeBaron, its the AH body, like the Lancer. If
> it matters, it has a power sunroof, and I'm not sure where the drain
> tubes from the sunroof go, and they could be the culprits, but I think
> it's getting in around the hatch or somewhere back there, as that's
> the only part that gets wet. the weather seal appears to be in good
> shape.
>
> If anyone has experience in fixing this, I welcome their input

If the seal for the rear hatch looks okay, I would suggest using a
sheet of paper to check for sealing. Close the hatch on the paper where
the leak is suspected. It should come out with moderate pulling, but
not with ease. Another way to check is to have someone spray water
around the hatch while you observe from inside. We used both these
methods when I worked at dealership to make final adjustments after
body work was done.

-Kirk Matheson

Old February 9th 06, 09:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

that's a sound suggestion, I'll give it a try

Old February 11th 06, 08:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

I had the same problem with my 98 Neon. In fact, that's probably why
the last owner got rid of it. A month after I got it, water started
sloshing into the rear seat foot wells.

Well, after much fooling around, I discovered the tail light gaskets
were leaking. It's a crappy foam stuff that doesn't fit well. I gooped
it up with duct sealer putty (didn't use RTV cuz I wanted to get the
taillight out some day) and it hasn't leaked in the last 6 years.

jim

Rome, NY