Made in ...?

Old July 26th 10, 03:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Percival P. Cassidy

Default Made in ...?

OK, this specific case concerns GM, but similar things may happen with
Chrysler -- or is it now "Fiat-Chrysler"? Or maybe "Fizzler"?

Talked with an engineer whose company is shipping components to China to
be incorporated in transmissions that are then supplied to GM for its
vehicles, which are built in who-knows-where?

Perce
Old July 26th 10, 08:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
CopperTop[_19_]

"Percival P. Cassidy" > wrote in news:i2k5l1$uro$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

> OK, this specific case concerns GM, but similar things may happen with
> Chrysler -- or is it now "Fiat-Chrysler"? Or maybe "Fizzler"?
>
> Talked with an engineer whose company is shipping components to China

> be incorporated in transmissions that are then supplied to GM for its
> vehicles, which are built in who-knows-where?
>
> Perce

Possibly China? Buick is big in China.
Old July 27th 10, 09:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Percival P. Cassidy

On 07/26/10 03:44 pm, CopperTop wrote:

>> OK, this specific case concerns GM, but similar things may happen with
>> Chrysler -- or is it now "Fiat-Chrysler"? Or maybe "Fizzler"?
>>
>> Talked with an engineer whose company is shipping components to China

>> be incorporated in transmissions that are then supplied to GM for its
>> vehicles, which are built in who-knows-where?

> Possibly China? Buick is big in China.

Could be.

But my main point was that even sub-assemblies that are "made in China"
(or some other foreign country) may still contain US components.

To take GM again as an example: the Pontiac G8 vehicles (which I
understand were re-badged Holden Commodores from Australia -- "GM
Holden" being the Australian GM subsidiary) may well have incorporated
some components from the US.

Perce
Old July 27th 10, 10:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
CopperTop[_19_]

"Percival P. Cassidy" > wrote in news:i2ngs0$3sd$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

> On 07/26/10 03:44 pm, CopperTop wrote:
>
>>> OK, this specific case concerns GM, but similar things may happen

with
>>> Chrysler -- or is it now "Fiat-Chrysler"? Or maybe "Fizzler"?
>>>
>>> Talked with an engineer whose company is shipping components to

China
>>> be incorporated in transmissions that are then supplied to GM for

its
>>> vehicles, which are built in who-knows-where?

>> Possibly China? Buick is big in China.

> Could be.
>
> But my main point was that even sub-assemblies that are "made in

China"
> (or some other foreign country) may still contain US components.
>
> To take GM again as an example: the Pontiac G8 vehicles (which I
> understand were re-badged Holden Commodores from Australia -- "GM
> Holden" being the Australian GM subsidiary) may well have incorporated
> some components from the US.
>
> Perce

No doubt. Many parts are made in the US as they are in other countries.
For years the carpet and seat fabrics were made in North Carolina and
shipped to Japan. I think now cars and most everything should say,
"Assembled in . . ." rather than "Made in . . .".

Components and sections of both Boeing and Airbus aircraft are made all
over the world. The fan casing alone on a GE-90 aircraft engine sees
more of the world than I do with the many processes it requires. One
engine consists of parts from all over the world so Assembled In is very
appropriate.
Old July 28th 10, 03:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
rob

just like the window stickers in the ford exploders used to list the
transmissions from France a few years ago

m...

Old August 11th 10, 06:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
DAS

So vehicles and other items contain components,. labour and marketing costs
from all over the world. What's the big deal?

DAS

To reply directly replace 'nospam' with 'schmetterling'
--
"rob" > wrote in message
g.com...
> just like the window stickers in the ford exploders used to list the
> transmissions from France a few years ago
>

> "CopperTop" > wrote in message
> m...
>> "Percival P. Cassidy" > wrote in news:i2ngs0$3sd$1
>> @news.eternal-september.org:

>> with

>> China

>> its

>>> Could be.
>>>
>>> But my main point was that even sub-assemblies that are "made in

>> China"
>>> (or some other foreign country) may still contain US components.
>>>
>>> To take GM again as an example: the Pontiac G8 vehicles (which I
>>> understand were re-badged Holden Commodores from Australia -- "GM
>>> Holden" being the Australian GM subsidiary) may well have incorporated
>>> some components from the US.
>>>
>>> Perce
>>>

>> No doubt. Many parts are made in the US as they are in other countries.
>> For years the carpet and seat fabrics were made in North Carolina and
>> shipped to Japan. I think now cars and most everything should say,
>> "Assembled in . . ." rather than "Made in . . .".
>>
>> Components and sections of both Boeing and Airbus aircraft are made all
>> over the world. The fan casing alone on a GE-90 aircraft engine sees
>> more of the world than I do with the many processes it requires. One
>> engine consists of parts from all over the world so Assembled In is very
>> appropriate.

Ok from the pictures which motor mount was made in the USA, and whichone was made in Inida? m6onz5a Technology 2 October 31st 09 07:10 PM
Oil can be made Les Benn[_2_] Ford Mustang 6 August 31st 09 04:40 AM
actually made it... N8N Driving 0 March 27th 09 07:06 PM
My Mind's Made Up: ChrisCoaster VW water cooled 14 November 19th 08 01:17 AM
I may Have Made a Mistake Packrat46 VW air cooled 16 April 11th 06 03:15 AM