Honda Engine got blown! Want to replace with more powerful engine!

Old January 24th 07, 08:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default Honda Engine got blown! Want to replace with more powerful engine!

Hi All,

I have a 99 Civic Special Edition (which is basically a base model with
A/C), and my engine just got blown. I'm looking for a replacement
engine, but since I'm paying money to replace an engine, might as well
pay a little extra and get a more powerful engine!

However, I know that putting in a different engine will require a lot
of work and modifications (translation: labour costs), I was told I had
to change the Power Steering, A/C, Transmission, and maybe even the
Engine bay.

My question is, what is the best Engine to fit in my car, with the
least amount of trouble??? (or is it just not worth it, and I should
just replace it with the same engine?)

I believe my car has a B16Y7 engine

Old January 24th 07, 10:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Hisham

I appologize, its a D16Y7 not a B16Y7

Old January 25th 07, 10:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Hisham

Thank you for your reply!

My Transmission is a Manual. So in this case, I need to accomodate the
V-tec etc etc??
Would that be expensive to do? Say compared to just replcaing the
engine with the same one? I don't have much money, I'm actually
borrowing to fix this car.
But I thought if I am throwing money away might as well gain some HP!
Your advice is very much appreciated

Old January 26th 07, 02:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
loewent via CarKB.com

I beleive the ratios are different between VTEC and nonVTEC applications....

As per my Honda shop manual (96-00 with VTEC)

D16Y5 D16Y7 D16Y8 B16A2
1st 3.250 3.250 3.250 3.230
2nd 1.782 1.782 1.909 2.105
3rd 1.172 1.172 1.250 1.458