P0401 EGR TSB fix and Special Tool. V-6 Accord.

Old September 27th 06, 09:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
FunkyKev

Default P0401 EGR TSB fix and Special Tool. V-6 Accord.

Actual question in 2nd paragraph below:

Referencing TSB 99-085 from Oct 26, 2001 and the updated campaign for
fixing insufficient EGR flow that makes the cars (Accord V-6's, 98-01)
throw the EGR DTC. First off (assuming out of warranty/coverage), the
install kit is about $75 special order. The parts kit is READILY
available/stocked (my guy knew the P/N by heart) and is also about $75.
Kit includes EGR valve gasket, throttle body gasket, metal EGR
pipe/sleeve...so far that's about $5 worth of parts...and the kicker is
that the rest of the $ goes to the actual EGR valve that is part of the
kit. Hitch: You can't get the pipe with out getting the whole damn
$75 kit. Unless your guy happens to check the shop for an opened kit
that has had the EGR valve removed but not the pipe and gaskets :-)
Then you get what you need for next to nuthin'.

Question: There is a special drill bit in said Install Kit for
oversizing the EGR port in the intake to install the pipe. Can anyone
give me the size, specs, dimensions, or a real-life photo of the
drill-bit in question? From my TSB diagram it appears to have a collar
of sorts to control the depth of the drill to keep you off the tender,
thin, inner aluminum port wall. Is that right? I know I have to be
careful, but is this something I can negotiate by sizing it up and
creating a limiter of my own on the drill bit with tape or a clamp or
similar? Or where to get the drill bit other than the dealer? Once I
get this aspect figured out this problem is an easy fix. Thanks in
advance, guys!

Kevin

Old September 27th 06, 01:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

FunkyKev wrote:
> Actual question in 2nd paragraph below:
>
> Referencing TSB 99-085 from Oct 26, 2001 and the updated campaign for
> fixing insufficient EGR flow that makes the cars (Accord V-6's, 98-01)
> throw the EGR DTC. First off (assuming out of warranty/coverage), the
> install kit is about $75 special order. The parts kit is READILY
> available/stocked (my guy knew the P/N by heart) and is also about $75.
> Kit includes EGR valve gasket, throttle body gasket, metal EGR
> pipe/sleeve...so far that's about $5 worth of parts...and the kicker is
> that the rest of the $ goes to the actual EGR valve that is part of the
> kit. Hitch: You can't get the pipe with out getting the whole damn
> $75 kit. Unless your guy happens to check the shop for an opened kit
> that has had the EGR valve removed but not the pipe and gaskets :-)
> Then you get what you need for next to nuthin'.
>
> Question: There is a special drill bit in said Install Kit for
> oversizing the EGR port in the intake to install the pipe. Can anyone
> give me the size, specs, dimensions, or a real-life photo of the
> drill-bit in question? From my TSB diagram it appears to have a collar
> of sorts to control the depth of the drill to keep you off the tender,
> thin, inner aluminum port wall. Is that right? I know I have to be
> careful, but is this something I can negotiate by sizing it up and
> creating a limiter of my own on the drill bit with tape or a clamp or
> similar? Or where to get the drill bit other than the dealer? Once I
> get this aspect figured out this problem is an easy fix. Thanks in
> advance, guys!
>
> Kevin

i think you'll be fine using care and your own limiter. a factory
limiter just stops mr. monkeywrench from drilling through the back of
your manifold because he's not paying attention.
Old September 27th 06, 04:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Doug B

Hmmm. The most economical fix may be a small piece of electrical tape
over the "Check Engine" indicator.

Old September 27th 06, 04:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Grumpy AuContraire[_2_]

Doug B wrote:

> Hmmm. The most economical fix may be a small piece of electrical tape
> over the "Check Engine" indicator.

Yep, the modern day equivalent to the old "turn up the radio" to
minimize the effects of a strange noise...

JT
Old September 27th 06, 05:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Earle Horton[_5_]

"Grumpy AuContraire" > wrote in message

> Doug B wrote:
> >
> > Hmmm. The most economical fix may be a small piece of electrical
> > tape over the "Check Engine" indicator.

> Yep, the modern day equivalent to the old "turn up the radio" to
> minimize the effects of a strange noise...

My Jeep has a "fuel economy" light that I have been waiting for it to burn
out for twelve years. I have noticed that if you go faster, sooner or later
it goes out. ;^)

Earle