E46 Airbag Light

Old June 17th 06, 05:40 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default E46 Airbag Light

Hi

My airbag warning light was flashing on and off for a little while recently
but over the last couple of days, it is now on all the time. I have a 2000
E46 323Ci. Any ideas. I hear airbag related stuff can be expensive.

Thanks

Old June 17th 06, 07:11 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Yes, it can be.

The airbags are tied to the seatbelts, and most of the time the trouble is
in the belt sensors and/or the seat sensors. The trouble is seldom the
airbag itself. The diagnostic port will tell the technician which
switch/sensor is the failure item.

Old June 17th 06, 10:23 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Jeff

Could you point me toward the sensors that you suspect so that I can have a
look for a loose wire or dry joint or something. I does sound like it may be
something to do with the seatbelts because I could swear the warning lamp
was coming on and off under braking or cornering.

Thanks

Old June 17th 06, 11:00 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

There is no point "looking" for it, you need to connect the computer and
read the fault codes. It will tell you immediately where the issue is.

Old June 18th 06, 10:28 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

kaptain kaos wrote:
> There is no point "looking" for it, you need to connect the computer and
> read the fault codes. It will tell you immediately where the issue is.

You need to either visit a main dealer to diagnose the fault, or you
can purchase a tool such as the Peake Research SRS tool - we supply
this in the UK. For details visit
http://www.ukobd.co.uk/gstore/store/...p?IDproduct=52

Hope that this helps.

Gareth
UKOBD

Old June 18th 06, 05:31 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

There isn't much you can learn by random poking about.

Your car has a diagnostic port in the engine bay that will tell you if the
trouble is in the driver seat or the passenger seat, or perhaps the rear
seats if you have side airbags.

HINT
The most likely problem ares is going to be in a seat that was occupied when
the light came on. If you seldom use the back seat and you have side
airbags, the problem should not be coming from the back seat. Get it?

Old August 11th 06, 06:32 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Milev

Jeff Strickland wrote:
> Yes, it can be.
>
> The airbags are tied to the seatbelts, and most of the time the trouble
> is in the belt sensors and/or the seat sensors. The trouble is seldom
> the airbag itself. The diagnostic port will tell the technician which
> switch/sensor is the failure item.
>

> "Richard @ntlworld.com>" <richard.spare<remove> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> My airbag warning light was flashing on and off for a little while
>> recently but over the last couple of days, it is now on all the time.
>> I have a 2000 E46 323Ci. Any ideas. I hear airbag related stuff can be
>> expensive.
>>
>> Thanks

In my case was the sensors in the driver's sit belt. I paid ~100gbp to
the dealer to get it fixed.

No problem since then.