'02 airbag light on

Old May 3rd 05, 05:20 PM

Default '02 airbag light on

Anybody have experience with the airbag light flashing on an 02 explorer?
If goes through 10 sets of 3 flashes (3 flashes each time, then a pause,
then 3 flashes, pause and so on..) I tried putting bulb grease on the
connections under the seat but that didn't help. I also read it might be
the seat belt tensioners (how hard to replace) or the sensor (probably
don't want to mess with). Dealer wants to charge a fee to hook it up to
the diagonostic tool rather than tell me what the code means.

Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB
Old May 4th 05, 04:54 AM
Jim Warman

The dealer stays in business by charging fees for services..... and, in all
honesty, we have no documentation for lamp flashes. The scan tool puts the
system through a predetermined self test routine that may reveal other
faults.

The SRS is full of opportunities for injuring oneself and your... I mean
'the', dealer may not want to expose themselves to any possible liability
from advice given. Likewise, Supplemental Restraint Systems is one area
where I refuse to offer any advice other than to have the system serviced by
someone trained and experienced in the system.

As it stands, if the DIYer doesn't injure him/herself, there remains the
possibility that the system may still not perform as expected in an
unfortunate event.

Sorry.

Old May 4th 05, 12:17 PM
wth

If I were the original owner, I would take it back to the selling dealer,
and ask for some factory assistance, since it's a safety issue.
As for the fee charged, Jim is right. Besides, the charge is small when you
consider the cost if the system fails when that oncoming driver meets you.
wth

Old May 4th 05, 10:24 PM

Thank you for your opinions, everybody got one..

Now, back on topic, anyone have any suggestions?

"Jim Warman" > wrote:
> The dealer stays in business by charging fees for services..... and, in
> all honesty, we have no documentation for lamp flashes. The scan tool
> puts the system through a predetermined self test routine that may reveal
> other faults.
>
> The SRS is full of opportunities for injuring oneself and your... I mean
> 'the', dealer may not want to expose themselves to any possible liability
> from advice given. Likewise, Supplemental Restraint Systems is one area
> where I refuse to offer any advice other than to have the system serviced
> by someone trained and experienced in the system.
>
> As it stands, if the DIYer doesn't injure him/herself, there remains the
> possibility that the system may still not perform as expected in an
> unfortunate event.
>
> Sorry.
>
> > wrote in message
> > Anybody have experience with the airbag light flashing on an 02
> > explorer? If goes through 10 sets of 3 flashes (3 flashes each time,
> > then a pause, then 3 flashes, pause and so on..) I tried putting bulb
> > grease on the connections under the seat but that didn't help. I also
> > read it might be the seat belt tensioners (how hard to replace) or the
> > sensor (probably don't want to mess with). Dealer wants to charge a
> > fee to hook it up to the diagonostic tool rather than tell me what the
> > code means.
> >
> > --
> > Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB

Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB

Airbag light cancelation? Myrone Bagalay Mazda 18 April 26th 05 02:58 AM
Airbag Indicator Light R. Rikoski Mazda 3 December 14th 04 07:56 PM
Airbag warning light. Alfa71 Alfa Romeo 7 October 26th 04 08:13 PM
Airbag light problem Gabe Saturn 5 October 2nd 04 03:22 PM
Chevy Venture airbag light - problem solved Katy General 0 February 21st 04 01:29 AM