Anco wiper blades called a CR best buy

Old October 10th 08, 02:18 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
Bob Jones

Default Anco wiper blades called a CR best buy

> wrote in message
> Even the OEM ones don't seem to last as long these days.
>

> http://www.freep.com/article/2008100...810070338/1014
>
> For a streak-free windshield, Consumer Reports recommends a wiper made
> by Southfield-based Federal-Mogul Corp.
>
> The magazine tested and ranked 15 models of wiper blades for its
> November issue, and Federal-Mogul's Anco 31 Series model offered one
> of the best values.
>
> The Anco ranked third in overall performance, with wipers from Valeo
> and RainX taking the first two spots.
>
> But Anco was one of two wipers to be named a Consumer Reports Best
> Buy. The Anco model costs $7 a piece for an 18-inch wiper and $10 for
> a 24-inch wiper, compared with $9 and $15 for the top-ranking Valeo
> model.
>
> Consumer Reports, which had its staffers test the wipers on their
> vehicles, suggests drivers change their vehicle's windshield wipers
> every six months, when even many of the best models started to leave
> streaks.

Haha, are you talking about wiper blades or wiper blade refills? Replacing
the blade every six months is a waste of money.

Old October 10th 08, 11:23 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
ransley

On Oct 9, 6:22*pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
> L Alpert > wrote:
>
> >"dan" > wrote in message
> .net...
> >> Last I knew, Mobil makes the oil and ATF. *Not sure about the rest.

> >So it would seem that since Honda does not make these items, there is
> >no true good reason to prefer Honda ATF or oil over another
> >manufacturer if produced to the same standards.

> The problem is verifying that they are produced to the same standards.
> By purchasing Honda oil, you are basically paying extra for Honda's quality
> control. *Is this worth it? *I don't think it is any longer, since the
> API folks do a pretty good job of things. * But for more exotic fluids it
> might well be.
> --scott
>
> --
> "C'est un Nagra. *C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

They dont make oil, they specify it and it is nothing special or
better than what other cars use. Paying a dealer his markup is a
waste.
Old October 10th 08, 02:36 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
Retired VIP[_2_]

On 9 Oct 2008 19:22:36 -0400, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

>L Alpert > wrote:
>>
>>"dan" > wrote in message
s.net...
>>> Last I knew, Mobil makes the oil and ATF. Not sure about the rest.

>>So it would seem that since Honda does not make these items, there is
>>no true good reason to prefer Honda ATF or oil over another
>>manufacturer if produced to the same standards.

>The problem is verifying that they are produced to the same standards.
>By purchasing Honda oil, you are basically paying extra for Honda's quality
>control. Is this worth it? I don't think it is any longer, since the
>API folks do a pretty good job of things. But for more exotic fluids it
>might well be.
>--scott

Scott, I don't believe that Honda or any other car manufacturer does
quality control testing on anything produced outside of their own
factories. It would be prohibitively expensive for Honda to generate
a spec on motor oil and then buy and package oil that would meet their
specs. They have a minimum API spec and any oil brand that meets
their minimum can bid on supplying them with oil. They buy the
cheapest that meets their specs. They don't even bottle it, the
supplier bottles it and brands it per the customer's wants.

My neighbor works for Johnson Controls building car batteries. They
don't sell anything under their own brand but their entire production
goes out under OEM or after-market branding. I don't know who they
currently brand for but at one time they produced OEM batteries for
Chrysler, Ford and Honda plus after market for Interstate, Sears and
Monkey Ward.

Jack
Old October 11th 08, 12:52 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
Bob Jones

> Scott, I don't believe that Honda or any other car manufacturer does
> quality control testing on anything produced outside of their own
> factories. It would be prohibitively expensive for Honda to generate
> a spec on motor oil and then buy and package oil that would meet their
> specs. They have a minimum API spec and any oil brand that meets
> their minimum can bid on supplying them with oil. They buy the
> cheapest that meets their specs. They don't even bottle it, the
> supplier bottles it and brands it per the customer's wants.

Honda motor oil is made by Mobil. Do you think it's the same as Mobil 5000
which meets the API spec?

Old October 11th 08, 02:18 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Bob Jones > wrote:
>> Scott, I don't believe that Honda or any other car manufacturer does
>> quality control testing on anything produced outside of their own
>> factories. It would be prohibitively expensive for Honda to generate
>> a spec on motor oil and then buy and package oil that would meet their
>> specs. They have a minimum API spec and any oil brand that meets
>> their minimum can bid on supplying them with oil. They buy the
>> cheapest that meets their specs. They don't even bottle it, the
>> supplier bottles it and brands it per the customer's wants.

>Honda motor oil is made by Mobil. Do you think it's the same as Mobil 5000
>which meets the API spec?

It probably is. But I bet their limited slip differential lube isn't
the same as the off-the-shelf Mobil product, even if it's made by Mobil.

Oil is pretty generic, some other fluids aren't.
--scott
Old October 11th 08, 03:07 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
jim beam

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In article
> >,
> ransley > wrote:
>
>>> Honda OEM blades have always, ALWAYS been the best you can ever buy.- Hide
>>> quoted text -

>> Prove it.

> They prove themselves.

concur - i've tried all kinds of blades and the ones sold as oem honda
are by far the best i've used. both for initial quality and durability.
Old October 11th 08, 04:07 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
L Alpert[_1_]

"Scott Dorsey" > wrote in message
> Bob Jones > wrote:
>>> Scott, I don't believe that Honda or any other car manufacturer
>>> does
>>> quality control testing on anything produced outside of their own
>>> factories. It would be prohibitively expensive for Honda to
>>> generate
>>> a spec on motor oil and then buy and package oil that would meet
>>> their
>>> specs. They have a minimum API spec and any oil brand that meets
>>> their minimum can bid on supplying them with oil. They buy the
>>> cheapest that meets their specs. They don't even bottle it, the
>>> supplier bottles it and brands it per the customer's wants.

>>Honda motor oil is made by Mobil. Do you think it's the same as
>>Mobil 5000
>>which meets the API spec?

> It probably is. But I bet their limited slip differential lube
> isn't
> the same as the off-the-shelf Mobil product, even if it's made by
> Mobil.
>
> Oil is pretty generic, some other fluids aren't.
> --scott

It depends on what specification the fluids are made to. If Honda
fluids are made to the same specification as those for other vehicles,
then it should not make a difference which brand is used.

Old October 11th 08, 05:21 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
L Alpert

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Retired VIP > wrote:
>
>> Scott, I don't believe that Honda or any other car manufacturer does
>> quality control testing on anything produced outside of their own
>> factories.

> Sure they do.
>
> They spec power steering fluid and auto trans fluid, and if you bypass
> their stuff, you see problems.
>
> Engine oil, probably not.

I have never had an issue with the Hondas I have owned over the past 30
years or so using off the shelf items such as ATF, antifreeze, brake fluid,
oil, etc.

I seriously doubt that there is anything "special" about them other than the
label.

Old October 11th 08, 05:29 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
jim beam

L Alpert wrote:
> "Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> Retired VIP > wrote:
>>
>>> Scott, I don't believe that Honda or any other car manufacturer does
>>> quality control testing on anything produced outside of their own
>>> factories.

>> Sure they do.
>>
>> They spec power steering fluid and auto trans fluid, and if you bypass
>> their stuff, you see problems.
>>
>> Engine oil, probably not.

> I have never had an issue with the Hondas I have owned over the past 30
> years or so using off the shelf items such as ATF, antifreeze, brake fluid,
> oil, etc.

i use c.o.t.s antifreeze, brake fluid etc., but not atf. in my
experience, the only atf that makes a honda shift well is honda z1. if
you've added non-honda fluid and it's been "ok", it sounds like you
haven't achieved full dilution.

> I seriously doubt that there is anything "special" about them other than the
> label.

rather than just "doubt", why don't you do some homework? do you
"doubt" that the component quality used by honda under the hood is any
better than frod? have you ever dissected a honda vs. non-honda spec
igniter unit for instance? honda may not manufacture half their stuff
directly, but they /do/ write the spec and /do/ undertake q.c.

Old October 11th 08, 08:36 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
Retired VIP[_2_]

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 13:34:01 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
> wrote:

>In article >,
> "L Alpert" > wrote:
>
>> I have never had an issue with the Hondas I have owned over the past 30
>> years or so using off the shelf items such as ATF, antifreeze, brake fluid,
>> oil, etc.
>>
>> I seriously doubt that there is anything "special" about them other than the
>> label.

>Go ahead, then, use non-Honda ATF and tell us what you think.
>
>Same with coolant.
>
>Shoot, same with power steering fluid nowadays.
>
>They're all part of a complex system that's highly engineered. Long
>gone are the days of everybody using the same stuff that's off the shelf
>at Goober's gas station.

What is so 'highly engineered' about a power steering system? Exactly
what is there about Honda, Toyota, GM, Ford or Chrysler power steering
fluid that makes it special? ATF fluid needs to supply the proper
friction modifiers so there is a difference between Ford and GM ATF
but if the after-market ATF has the proper modifiers, it will perform
the same as the OEM stuff.

I've been using Preston Anti-freeze (the green stuff) in my cars for
the last 45 years and I have never had a engine or cooling system
problem that could have been caused by the coolant. Why pay $15.00 a
gallon for anti-freeze that carries a GM or Ford brand when I can get
something just as good for half the price?

Jack

Anco wiper blades called a CR best buy [email protected] Technology 108 October 29th 08 04:36 AM
Wiper Blades Scott Dorsey Technology 2 August 11th 08 09:16 PM
Wiper blades Terry Driving 12 October 10th 06 12:09 AM
73 wiper blades? LeRoy Prosic VW air cooled 1 April 19th 06 01:36 PM
Wiper Blades Gary Mazda 16 January 14th 05 11:48 PM