Bleeding ABS Master Cylinder

Old August 16th 07, 11:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
JoeSch

Default Bleeding ABS Master Cylinder

I have a '92 Buick Regal with a Delco ABS VI system.

I need to bleed the master brake cylinder. I have a bleeder kit with
two hoses.

The master cylinder is bolted to the hydraulic modulator as a unit.
the hydraulic modulator has four hoses from the four wheel callipers
running into it. Here is the diagram:

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v645/kelticwizard100/
DelcoVI.jpg[/IMG]

OR

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...00/DelcoVI.jpg

A) Do I need to disconnect the hydraulic modulator from the master
cylinder, or can I just remove two lines from the modulator, bleed
them, then remove the other two lined from the modulator, bleed them,
and have the master cylinder done that way?

B) I have read about Gravity bleeding, where I just loosen up one
bleeder screw from the calliper farthest from the master cylinder,
presumably the passenger rear, remove the master cylinder cover, pour
in brake fluid and wait for it to work it's way down and there are no
bubbles in the line. Sounds great. Does anyone know how long it
takes? I plan to jack up the front of the car slightly if I do it, to
make sure everything is downhill. Should I have the car running?

Thank you for any help I can get.

Old August 17th 07, 03:51 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Marsh Monster

On Aug 16, 4:46?pm, JoeSch > wrote:
> I have a '92 Buick Regal with a Delco ABS VI system.
>
> I need to bleed the master brake cylinder. I have a bleeder kit with
> two hoses.
>
> The master cylinder is bolted to the hydraulic modulator as a unit.
> the hydraulic modulator has four hoses from the four wheel callipers
> running into it. Here is the diagram:
>
> [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v645/kelticwizard100/
> DelcoVI.jpg[/IMG]
>
> OR
>
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...00/DelcoVI.jpg
>
> A) Do I need to disconnect the hydraulic modulator from the master
> cylinder, or can I just remove two lines from the modulator, bleed
> them, then remove the other two lined from the modulator, bleed them,
> and have the master cylinder done that way?
>
> B) I have read about Gravity bleeding, where I just loosen up one
> bleeder screw from the calliper farthest from the master cylinder,
> presumably the passenger rear, remove the master cylinder cover, pour
> in brake fluid and wait for it to work it's way down and there are no
> bubbles in the line. Sounds great. Does anyone know how long it
> takes? I plan to jack up the front of the car slightly if I do it, to
> make sure everything is downhill. Should I have the car running?
>
> Thank you for any help I can get.

=========
=========

Here..........

http://www.aa1car.com/library/abs_bleeding.htm

that'll be $118.37..........please,
cash, no checks, no credit cards!

~:~
MarshMonster
~sips his crownroyal...takes a toke.....mmmmm.......
goodstuff~
~:~

Old August 18th 07, 08:27 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
JoeSch

On Aug 16, 10:51 pm, Marsh Monster > wrote:
> On Aug 16, 4:46?pm, JoeSch > wrote:
>

> > I have a '92 Buick Regal with a Delco ABS VI system.

> > I need to bleed the master brake cylinder. I have a bleeder kit with
> > two hoses.

> > The master cylinder is bolted to the hydraulic modulator as a unit.
> > the hydraulic modulator has four hoses from the four wheel callipers
> > running into it. Here is the diagram:

> > [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v645/kelticwizard100/
> > DelcoVI.jpg[/IMG]

> > OR

> >http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...00/DelcoVI.jpg

> > A) Do I need to disconnect the hydraulic modulator from the master
> > cylinder, or can I just remove two lines from the modulator, bleed
> > them, then remove the other two lined from the modulator, bleed them,
> > and have the master cylinder done that way?

> > B) I have read about Gravity bleeding, where I just loosen up one
> > bleeder screw from the calliper farthest from the master cylinder,
> > presumably the passenger rear, remove the master cylinder cover, pour
> > in brake fluid and wait for it to work it's way down and there are no
> > bubbles in the line. Sounds great. Does anyone know how long it
> > takes? I plan to jack up the front of the car slightly if I do it, to
> > make sure everything is downhill. Should I have the car running?

> > Thank you for any help I can get.

> =========
> =========
>
> Here..........

Marsh Monster:

Thank you. I had already seen that page, just wanted to check to get
verification from somebody who has done it. However, I went ahead and
did the gravity bleeding, it seems partially successful in the sense
that the brake pedal does have some pressure when the car is running,
but I am a bit leery about how much pedal travel. I am starting a
second thread about that pedal travel ,if you have a moment to respond
I would appreciate it.

Old August 18th 07, 08:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
JoeSch

The new thread on pedal travel is located here, if you have a moment
to reply:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...b8a2b8f63cc1fd

Thank you.