TOWING A SATURN- from theCONFUSING owners handbook !

Old November 4th 04, 04:08 PM
Philip Nasadowski

In article >,
"Oppie" > wrote:

> Manual transmission is not a problem. An automatic on the other hand, needs
> hydraulic pressure to keep the clutches set properly. Without pressure, the
> clutches drag and wear. Short distances at low speed are not too bad.

A manual can be a problem if it's not spinning it's gears in neutral,
because it's not getting splash lube of everything.
Old November 4th 04, 05:10 PM
Oppie

I always thought that the output shaft spinning the output gears kicked up
enough oil. Main thing is that the synchros are out of the way and not
loaded. but that was partly an assumption...
Old saying that "when we ASSUME it makes an ASS out of U and ME". (I
shouldn't assume so much, mea culpa)

Old November 4th 04, 09:16 PM
Philip Nasadowski

In article <1099588211.wY6eQFRyusw+LskOh7xOng@teranews>,
"Oppie" > wrote:

> I always thought that the output shaft spinning the output gears kicked up
> enough oil. Main thing is that the synchros are out of the way and not
> loaded. but that was partly an assumption...
> Old saying that "when we ASSUME it makes an ASS out of U and ME". (I
> shouldn't assume so much, mea culpa)

I've read on some types the gears actually don't spin with the output
shaft.

Anyway, what's the big deal - when in doubt, tow with the driving wheels
off the ground and you're fine. Driving wheels off the ground is
virtually always an approved method, and will always prevent tranny
damage. This hasn't changed in a few decades...

(And is why towing dollies exist)
Old November 4th 04, 10:00 PM
BANDIT2941

>LOL. OK, I'm relatively new here, I have basically mostly lurked when
>I am about to buy/lease a new Saturn, I may have posted a couple times
>in the past, but not much. I see I have picked up on one of the groups
>trolls just by accident. Speaking of trolls I see that Scharf guy is
>still around after 6+ years.

I'd take Scharf over this guy any day of the week. At least Scharf has somewhat
of a brain, and some of his posts are beneficial(he can usually somehow back up
what he's saying). Hasn't been too many Scharf sitings around here lately
though......
Old November 5th 04, 08:16 AM
BANDIT2941

> I agree that he's not totally full of crap, but much of
>what I have read from him has quite a subjective edge to it. Of course
>nothing he's said has changed my mind about Saturn.

You just summed up exactly what I was trying to say.