Vue 2004 Redline with low profile tires

Old June 14th 04, 08:21 PM
Rusty Shackleford

Default Vue 2004 Redline with low profile tires

I have a 2004 Vue Redline with the Low profile tires and was driving home
Friday night when I hit something on the road with the left front and left
rear tire. Both tires blew and it severely damaged the wheels. I changed
the spare and drove home (about 3 miles) with the left rear still flat. I
called Saturn and they told me that the tires for the Redline are $277.00
each and the wheels are $448.00 each. The total damage was about $1580.00
My insurance will pay for all but $500.00. I think that if I had normal
High profile tires I would not have damaged the wheels as the low profile
tires are closer to the rim and when they hit something they will more
likely damage the wheels. It is something for someone who is thinking about
buying the 2004 Vue Redline to think about. I am seriously thinking about
changing my wheels and tires to the high profile type when these finally
need to be replaced.

--
Rusty Shackleford

'What ever happens, happens necessarily'

Remove NOSPAM from E-mail address to reply.

Old June 15th 04, 02:35 AM
Jonnie Santos

Rusty Shackleford wrote:

> I have a 2004 Vue Redline with the Low profile tires and was driving home
> Friday night when I hit something on the road with the left front and left
> rear tire. Both tires blew and it severely damaged the wheels. I changed
> the spare and drove home (about 3 miles) with the left rear still flat. I
> called Saturn and they told me that the tires for the Redline are $277.00
> each and the wheels are $448.00 each. The total damage was about $1580.00
> My insurance will pay for all but $500.00. I think that if I had normal
> High profile tires I would not have damaged the wheels as the low profile
> tires are closer to the rim and when they hit something they will more
> likely damage the wheels. It is something for someone who is thinking about
> buying the 2004 Vue Redline to think about. I am seriously thinking about
> changing my wheels and tires to the high profile type when these finally
> need to be replaced.

....friend-girl just bounced her new PT Cruiser off a curb and took out
two wheels and two tires also. Not sure the profile of the tires -
curbs and the like are just not wheel/tire friendly...

Glad you were not hurt.
Old June 15th 04, 03:54 AM
marx404

Yup, them low profile Dunlops do hug the road great, but they aren't too
good for Monster Truck rallys. <g>
Anyways, once a tire is blown, it is blown. The tires themselves can not
cause damage to the rims, but driving on the rims will cause damage. Once a
tire is blown out flat, ANY flat tire, driving on concrete will damage your
rims, high or low profile regardless.

marx404

Old June 16th 04, 03:41 AM
Lane

The model is Red Line, not Redline.

If you hit something seriously enough to wreck the tires AND rims, I doubt a
bit of extra sidewall would have done much. That had to be a hard jolt.

Lane [ l a n e @ p a i r . c o m ]
---
Visit my Saturn Car Audio and Performance Page at http://www57.pair.com/lane

. com...