what do the colors mean?

Old June 14th 04, 05:28 PM
UncleNick

Default what do the colors mean?

when my brother installed my new radio in my 98 saturn, he for some odd
reason decided to cut the wires behind the radio...i want to sell my car
now, but i want to put the radio back in...does anybody know where i can
find a wiring diagram that will explain the wires that come out of my 98
factory saturn radio??
"unclenick"

Old June 14th 04, 05:54 PM
Jeff Pesula

Typically, this is the following scheme:

Blue = remote antenna
Red = positive (+12 V)
Black = ground (also grounded through chassis of stereo)
Orange = dim
Yellow = battery backup (+12V trickle current)

Speakers are in pairs Green and green/black wire, purple and purple/black,
white and white/black, grey and grey/black. I don't remember which is left,
front, right, or rear - you can also probably call Circuit City or someone
and they can offer you more help.

Merci
Jeff

lkaboutautos.com...

Old June 14th 04, 07:15 PM
Justin

> "UncleNick" > wrote in message
> lkaboutautos.com...
>> when my brother installed my new radio in my 98 saturn, he for some
>> odd reason decided to cut the wires behind the radio...i want to sell
>> my car now, but i want to put the radio back in...does anybody know
>> where i can find a wiring diagram that will explain the wires that
>> come out of my 98 factory saturn radio??
>> "unclenick"

The wiring harnesses probably didn't match up, esp. if he used an
aftermarket, non saturn, radio thus making splicing necessary. Can't you
just match up the colors? You're putting a Saturn radio back in, so all
the wires should match right up.

Old June 15th 04, 02:30 AM
Jonnie Santos

UncleNick wrote:

> when my brother installed my new radio in my 98 saturn, he for some odd
> reason decided to cut the wires behind the radio...i want to sell my car
> now, but i want to put the radio back in...does anybody know where i can
> find a wiring diagram that will explain the wires that come out of my 98
> factory saturn radio??
> "unclenick"

Weird he didn't use a harnass adapter - they're cheap and common.

I looked in my Chilton's and found everything but the radio wiring.
Then I found my old instructions from Crutchfield. This doc is dated
4/2/98, ref doc no. 120 70-1858

Note - this is for a 1997 SL-2

POWER
yellow 12 volts constant
red 12 volts switched
blue power antenna
orange/white dimmer
black chassis ground

FRONT SPEAKERS
gray right front speaker positive
gray/black right front speaker negative
white left front speak positive
white/black left front speaker negative

REAR SPEAKERS
green left rear speaker positive
green/black left rear speaker negative
violet right rear speaker positive
violet/black right rear speaker negative