Sylvania Silver Star bulbs

Old March 12th 07, 06:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default Sylvania Silver Star bulbs

There you have it- 14 months and approx 15k miles. Installed Jan of
last year, left front crapped out this weekend. Great lights, big
improvement over the oem bulb. Maybe $32 IIRC.

Old March 12th 07, 09:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
swllz

These were on sale a while ago at autozone. With manufactory rebate at
the time, they costed $19.99 a pair new.

Old March 12th 07, 09:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Sees-koo-wee-hah-nay

On Mar 12, 12:01 pm, wrote:
> There you have it- 14 months and approx 15k miles. Installed Jan of
> last year, left front crapped out this weekend. Great lights, big
> improvement over the oem bulb. Maybe $32 IIRC.

They have an average life of 250 hours.

Just passing this along, not looking to debate it:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...good/good.html

"If you want to improve your lights and vision, choose Osram
Silverstar (that is not same than Sylvania Silverstar, but sold as
Candlepower Super Bright Light in the USA) or Philips Vision Plus
bulbs.

Old March 12th 07, 11:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Dave L

"Sees-koo-wee-hah-nay" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Mar 12, 12:01 pm, wrote:
>> There you have it- 14 months and approx 15k miles. Installed Jan of
>> last year, left front crapped out this weekend. Great lights, big
>> improvement over the oem bulb. Maybe $32 IIRC.

> They have an average life of 250 hours.

They cast a nice white light but their lifespan is bad. One went out in
under a year and the other followed a month later. Next time one goes out
I'll replace both with something different.

> Just passing this along, not looking to debate it:
>
> http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...good/good.html
>
> "If you want to improve your lights and vision, choose Osram
> Silverstar (that is not same than Sylvania Silverstar, but sold as
> Candlepower Super Bright Light in the USA) or Philips Vision Plus
> bulbs.

What is the lifespan of these, and how do they compare? I don't want to
blind other people coming the opposite direction..

-Dave

Old March 12th 07, 11:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Sees-koo-wee-hah-nay

On Mar 12, 5:03 pm, "Dave L" > wrote:
> "Sees-koo-wee-hah-nay" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
> > On Mar 12, 12:01 pm, wrote:
> >> There you have it- 14 months and approx 15k miles. Installed Jan of
> >> last year, left front crapped out this weekend. Great lights, big
> >> improvement over the oem bulb. Maybe $32 IIRC.

> > They have an average life of 250 hours.

> They cast a nice white light but their lifespan is bad. One went out in
> under a year and the other followed a month later. Next time one goes out
> I'll replace both with something different.
>

> > Just passing this along, not looking to debate it:

> >http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...good/good.html

> > "If you want to improve your lights and vision, choose Osram
> > Silverstar (that is not same than Sylvania Silverstar, but sold as
> > Candlepower Super Bright Light in the USA) or Philips Vision Plus
> > bulbs.

> What is the lifespan of these, and how do they compare? I don't want to
> blind other people coming the opposite direction..
>
> -Dave

>From the Daniel Stern site (note the lumens for a stock bulb and a

Sylvania Silverstar)
the other bulbs I mentioned give 100 more hours service on average. I
am looking to replace my stock bulbs which is why I am interested in
this thread, I have not made a descision yet.

"Here's manufacturer data, from internal engineering databases, for
output
and lifespan at 13.2v for H1 bulbs. The numbers here are a composite
of
values applicable to the products of the big three makers (Osram-
Sylvania,
Philips-Narva, Tungsram-GE). Each manufacturer's product in each
category
is slightly different but not significantly so. I picked H1-type bulbs
for this comparison, and while the absolute numbers differ with
different
bulb types, the relative comparison patterns hold good for whatever
bulb
type you consider. Lifespan is given as Tc, the hour figure at which
63.2
percent of the bulbs have failed.

H1 (regular normal):
1550 lumens, 650 hours

Long Life (or "HalogenPlus+")
1460 lumens, 1200 hours

Plus-30 High Efficacy (Osram Super, Sylvania Xtravision, Narva
Rangepower,
Candlepower Bright Light, Tungsram High Output, Philips Premium):
1700 lumens, 350 hours

Plus-50 Ultra High Efficacy (Philips VisionPlus, Osram Silverstar,
Narva
Rangepower+50, Tungsram Megalicht, but not Sylvania Silverstar):
1750 lumens, 350 hours

Blue coated 'extra white' (Osram CoolBlue, Narva Rangepower Blue,
Philips
BlueVision, Tungsram Super Blue or EuroBlue, Sylvania Silverstar):
1380 lumens, 250 hours"

Old March 14th 07, 02:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Dave L

"Sees-koo-wee-hah-nay" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> On Mar 12, 5:03 pm, "Dave L" > wrote:
>> "Sees-koo-wee-hah-nay" > wrote in message
>>
>> oups.com...

>> > They have an average life of 250 hours.

>> They cast a nice white light but their lifespan is bad. One went out in
>> under a year and the other followed a month later. Next time one goes
>> out
>> I'll replace both with something different.
>>

>> > Just passing this along, not looking to debate it:

>> >http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...good/good.html

>> > "If you want to improve your lights and vision, choose Osram
>> > Silverstar (that is not same than Sylvania Silverstar, but sold as
>> > Candlepower Super Bright Light in the USA) or Philips Vision Plus
>> > bulbs.

>> What is the lifespan of these, and how do they compare? I don't want to
>> blind other people coming the opposite direction..
>>
>> -Dave

>>From the Daniel Stern site (note the lumens for a stock bulb and a

> Sylvania Silverstar)
> the other bulbs I mentioned give 100 more hours service on average. I
> am looking to replace my stock bulbs which is why I am interested in
> this thread, I have not made a descision yet.
>
> "Here's manufacturer data, from internal engineering databases, for
> output
> and lifespan at 13.2v for H1 bulbs. The numbers here are a composite
> of
> values applicable to the products of the big three makers (Osram-
> Sylvania,
> Philips-Narva, Tungsram-GE). Each manufacturer's product in each
> category
> is slightly different but not significantly so. I picked H1-type bulbs
> for this comparison, and while the absolute numbers differ with
> different
> bulb types, the relative comparison patterns hold good for whatever
> bulb
> type you consider. Lifespan is given as Tc, the hour figure at which
> 63.2
> percent of the bulbs have failed.
>
> H1 (regular normal):
> 1550 lumens, 650 hours
>
> Long Life (or "HalogenPlus+")
> 1460 lumens, 1200 hours
>
> Plus-30 High Efficacy (Osram Super, Sylvania Xtravision, Narva
> Rangepower,
> Candlepower Bright Light, Tungsram High Output, Philips Premium):
> 1700 lumens, 350 hours
>
> Plus-50 Ultra High Efficacy (Philips VisionPlus, Osram Silverstar,
> Narva
> Rangepower+50, Tungsram Megalicht, but not Sylvania Silverstar):
> 1750 lumens, 350 hours
>
> Blue coated 'extra white' (Osram CoolBlue, Narva Rangepower Blue,
> Philips
> BlueVision, Tungsram Super Blue or EuroBlue, Sylvania Silverstar):
> 1380 lumens, 250 hours"

I'm not wasting any more money on the Silverstars. May put the originals
back in when the time comes. There was really nothing "wrong" with them
anyway. Just liked the whiter light.

-Dave

Sylvania Silverstars for a PT PT_GT_in_VT Chrysler 1 February 4th 07 06:28 PM
Down with Sylvania Dave M. Technology 44 December 30th 05 05:48 PM
AD: Vests, LED bulbs, xenon-like bulbs at great prices! Hi-Vis.com.pl General 0 August 28th 05 12:59 AM
AD: Vests, LED bulbs, xenon-like bulbs at great prices! Hi-Vis.com.pl Technology 0 August 28th 05 12:59 AM
Sylvania Silverstar headlights Daniel J. Stern Driving 18 March 4th 05 08:51 PM